Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 am

Hi everyone,

The question may be candid but, is this technically legal to fly passengers in crewrest?
I mean passengers would be at their seats and if they want to rest they can go to the crewrest for couple of hours during the flight.

Thanks for your feedback,

Starlionblue

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 am

Local regs caveat as usual.

Pax would not be allowed to use the crew rest since you need to be safety qualified. Trained in smoke hood use, evacuation routes etc.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Ok thanks. I was wondering why no airlines try to do this before. As for instance on A380 there loads of space available on the cargo for instance.

Starlionblue

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm

If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.

Woodreau

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm

If they let passengers sleep in the crew rest, where do the crew go when they are required to take their rest period?

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.

Interesting. Do you have documents about this project?

I found out the bunk beds Airbus project, they file a patent about it =>
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=2015 ... 6RS=airbus

CosmicCruiser

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:13 pm

If they did can you imagine the fights to see who gets the crew rest bunks! Gee, I remember heated arguments over which jump seat someone wanted!

trijetsonly

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

The offer is called Aeroloft, at the bottom of the following link: http://www.greenpnt.com/Greenpoint_Technologies/Commercial.html#aeroloft.
I've seen it in real 747-8 and it's amazing. Too bad no airline went for it so far.

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/08/photos-first-aeroloft-installed-on-a-boeing-747-8i-business-jet/

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 pm

trijetsonly wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

The offer is called Aeroloft, at the bottom of the following link: http://www.greenpnt.com/Greenpoint_Technologies/Commercial.html#aeroloft.
I've seen it in real 747-8 and it's amazing. Too bad no airline went for it so far.

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/08/photos-first-aeroloft-installed-on-a-boeing-747-8i-business-jet/

Thank you Trijetsonly, first time i saw it, very interesting.

The aeroloft has been certified for public transportation aswell or just private operation on 747-8i?

Horstroad

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Ok thanks. I was wondering why no airlines try to do this before. As for instance on A380 there loads of space available on the cargo for instance.

Crew rests are there for a reason. As the name says they are for the crew to rest. The crew rest is not unused space that could be used otherwise.

The cargo compartments aren't either. Even less on the A380. You only have one deck of cargo compartments for two decks of passengers.

Starlionblue

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Woodreau wrote:
If they let passengers sleep in the crew rest, where do the crew go when they are required to take their rest period?

I suppose the OP was wondering about two-man sectors when the crew rest is not used anyway.

Kickert

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 am

Horstroad wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

Crew rests are there for a reason. As the name says they are for the crew to rest. The crew rest is not unused space that could be used otherwise.

The cargo compartments aren't either. Even less on the A380. You only have one deck of cargo compartments for two decks of passengers.

As I understand it, the over cabin crew rest areas just take up a fraction of the available space at the back of the plane. I would imagine on a plane like a 777, you could add dozens of additional "sleep pods."

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

This project would fit with international regulations? It's more or less the same thing as putting pax on crewrest when it's not used.

Thanks for your feedback

cloudboy

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 pm

The "official" Boeing video would pop up for me on Youtube.com EVERY time, UNTIL the one time I want it and now I can't find it! But here is someone else who posted it. I don't know how far they got with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYAppQ26E2w. Does anyone know how many economy beds they thought they would be able to fit in?

Starlionblue

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 am

A380MSN004 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

This project would fit with international regulations? It's more or less the same thing as putting pax on crewrest when it's not used.

Thanks for your feedback

Presumably to carry passengers, you'd have to make it easier to evacuate in case of smoke and so forth. It woulnd't fly (heh) if you had to train the pax in smoke hood usage before boarding. :D

eidvm

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Certain crew rest area's are fitted with jumpseats that are certified for takeoff and landing, certain airlines allow these jumpseats to be occupied by positioning crew or standby staff travel passengers personally known to the crew where there are no regular seats remaining for them, on shorter flights that don't require the use of the bunks, provided they're given an appropriate safety demo.

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 am

eidvm wrote:
Certain crew rest area's are fitted with jumpseats that are certified for takeoff and landing, certain airlines allow these jumpseats to be occupied by positioning crew or standby staff travel passengers personally known to the crew where there are no regular seats remaining for them, on shorter flights that don't require the use of the bunks, provided they're given an appropriate safety demo.

At our company the crew rest seats on some aircraft are certified for take-off and landing, but they can only be used by safety qualified personnel, meaning flight and cabin crew plus a smattering of others.

AirlineCritic

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 am

trijetsonly wrote:

Thanks for this. I knew of the option; I hadn't known it had actually been installed. Seems like a good design for the purpose.