Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

speedbird52
Topic Author

What Academic Acheivements Do I need To Become a Long Haul Pilot at a Large US Airline

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:53 am

I am in my mid teens and have recently come to terms with the fact that the idea that I can change the world is bullshit, and that we should stop filling the minds of the youth and children with these false hopes. Instead, we should be telling them to do what inspires them, and makes them happy. I have decided to seriously consider a career as a pilot, since I always have loved flying and airplanes. I have not as of yet taken flying lessons, that will happen once I convince my parents that it is safe. (That is a whole other thread I will be starting in a while...) I am approaching the end of High School, and as such I am curious about the academic requirements such a job would require? I know that most airlines require a BA degree, but is there any subject in particular they require? Ideally, I would like to do a BA in social studies, since that is my other passion, but do airlines like anything specific? One of my weak spots is Algebra 2, as I struggle with abstract concepts. I can easily wrap my mind around logarithmic equations, Exponential equations, equations of the line, Trigonometry and such, but when it comes to things such as polynomial expressions my mind fails to comprehend them. Could this cause issues for me? I am not looking forward to precalc, and I have no intentions to take calculus if I can help it, but I am wondering if these subjects are needed? Of course, I am young (It is a shame the way we force youth to choose their path in life when they are still practically children) and it is possible my interests may change. Maybe I will find that when I take my first flight it isn't something I am that passionate about. But it is something I am open to. I do not need the stress of a job as a lawyer in my life. I do not want the robotic lifestyle of a computer engineer, rotting away at a screen developing things that have questionable positive impact on our lives. Thanks to all in advance.

Woodreau

Re: What Academic Acheivements Do I need To Become a Long Haul Pilot at a Large US Airline

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 am

The extent of math that I use in my daily work as an airline pilot is simply just dividing by 3. If you can add, subtract, multiply and divide that is all the math you need to do.

You’re just flying the plane you’re not designing it.

The only requirement is a bachelors degree there is no specific concentration required. The airlines use the bachelor degree requirement as a means of screening applications and to see that you can complete a long term project. The job in no way requires a bachelors degree.

You do need good study habits and need to be able to self motivate to study, as you will be tested regularly throughout your entire career.

Starlionblue

Re: What Academic Acheivements Do I need To Become a Long Haul Pilot at a Large US Airline

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 am

Good study habits as Woodreau says. Learn to study. Small amounts of study often works for me but whatever method gets you there.

Being reasonably good at fundamental maths helps, mostly during your ATP/ATPL exams, especially if you do them outside of North America. And even then if you just work hard you'll get through the exams.

Once you've got your licenses, as Woodreau says basic arithmetic is fine. I would add that we use angle maths quite a bit, but at a rather basic level. If you can grasp trigonometry you're ahead of the game. Much simpler to use the 1-in-60 rule or 1-in-3 rule in your head than do the trig to get an exact number, and close enough for aviation. Logarithms, calculus and polynomial equations are well beyond the scope of what is needed.

The most important requirements are a passion for aviation and an ability to work hard at something for a long time.

I'd recommend getting a first class aviation medical, just to make sure you have no underlying issues before you start spending a lot of money on flying. (Even if you do have an issue, it may be something "fixable"). If you live in the US you can find AMEs everywhere. https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/.

mmo

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 am

I don't know if you are a US resident/citizen, but there really isn't anything in the US as a "long haul" pilot. If you have the necessary qualifications and experience, you can get hired by a Major in the US. You will start out in the right seat of a 737/320 type aircraft doing short haul. As your seniority allows, you can move to a widebody which generally means long haul. But you will find everything is a US airline is governed by seniority.

VSMUT

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am

You will need money, lots of it. Then you will fight your way into the right seat of an A320 or 737 for the next 10 years. If you are lucky, thats when the airline might consider you for upgrade to long haul aircraft (depending on seniority).

But what nationality are you? If you are an EU citizen, aiming for 2 or 3 years in Ryanair is probably a safer bet. Norwegian has been hiring a lot of experienced Ryanair FOs for the 787. Then you can skip all the academic stuff too.

Woodreau

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:26 pm

It is much easier to obtain an ATP in the US than in the EU.

Another academic “trait” you need is to be able to memorize.

In the US there is just one written exam that you take for your ATP, and you can just memorize your answers to pass it. There is no requirement to actually understand the material you are being tested on. You study the test bank and you learn to recognize the answer. However if that is all you do though you will most likely fail the practical and oral exam. But along the way to obtaining your ATP you do have to take a written test for the private and commercial pilot certificates and for your instrument rating. But the format is the same, there is a set question bank that is publicly available, and you simply memorize the answers before you take the exam. So a total of 4 written exams and the question banks do overlap material.

In the EU there are many more written exams (over 13?, I don’t know exactly) and you actually have to understand the material in order to be successful in passing these exams.

In the US obtaining your required flying experience and certification is just a matter of time and money. You just keep throwing both at it until you either get where you want to go or you run out of one or both.

speedbird52
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:28 pm

mmo wrote:
I don't know if you are a US resident/citizen, but there really isn't anything in the US as a "long haul" pilot. If you have the necessary qualifications and experience, you can get hired by a Major in the US. You will start out in the right seat of a 737/320 type aircraft doing short haul. As your seniority allows, you can move to a widebody which generally means long haul. But you will find everything is a US airline is governed by seniority.

I should have mentioned I am a US citizen. I am aware of how long haul is a progression, but I wanted to mention that as a long term goal. Are there any degrees that airlines favor over others?

mmo

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:49 pm

To answer your question, not really. Obviously, if you have an engineering or science degree that would make you stand out, but to be honest, any degree will do. What it does, as has been pointed out, is show you have decent study habits, can set a goal and achieve it and you can conform to a set of requirements. I also, don't think you will find that requirement disappearing in the future as it generally is a good measure.

The first thing I would do, if I were in your position is get a First Class medical. If you have any issues, it's better to know now rather than later. Also, consider the military as an avenue to the airlines.

VSMUT

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Woodreau wrote:
In the EU there are many more written exams (over 13?, I don’t know exactly) and you actually have to understand the material in order to be successful in passing these exams.

It is 13, but some countries get away with rolling communications into a separate national subject.

I wish I could say that it was possible to pass the ATPLs just from understanding the subjects, but my experience is that it isn't possible. Many of the questions are just plain wrong, or contain multiple correct answers etc. Memorizing problematic questions was essential to passing.

Starlionblue

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

It is 13, but some countries get away with rolling communications into a separate national subject.

I wish I could say that it was possible to pass the ATPLs just from understanding the subjects, but my experience is that it isn't possible. Many of the questions are just plain wrong, or contain multiple correct answers etc. Memorizing problematic questions was essential to passing.

I'd say it is a combination of memorization and understanding, and also depends on the subject. E.g. comms - memorise, general navigation - learn to do the calculations. Systems - combination of memorization and understanding.

VSMUT

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 am

Starlionblue wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

I'd say it is a combination of memorization and understanding, and also depends on the subject. E.g. comms - memorise, general navigation - learn to do the calculations. Systems - combination of memorization and understanding.

The optimum way is to pass it just from understanding the subject, but when 20% of the questions are completely wrong or misleading, memorization is completely necessary. Another third of questions are completely irrelevant ones focusing on minor grammatical differences in the wording of the answers or questions. The downside of all this is that I have seen way too many talentless people who passed it just from memorizing the entire question bank.

BravoOne

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Given the pilots perpensity to simply study the test and not the subject matter this is not surprising. FAA written exams use be much more difficult but since the early eighties they were simplified somewhat for the sake of expedience. Don't about th outright errors you speak of but I suppose they could exist. Have you callled this to their attention?

Starlionblue

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:33 am

VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

The optimum way is to pass it just from understanding the subject, but when 20% of the questions are completely wrong or misleading, memorization is completely necessary. Another third of questions are completely irrelevant ones focusing on minor grammatical differences in the wording of the answers or questions. The downside of all this is that I have seen way too many talentless people who passed it just from memorizing the entire question bank.

Stop giving me ATPL exam flashbacks!!! :old:

Completely agreed on the grammar. Very frustrating for non-native English speakers, and actually encourages them to rote learn instead of understanding.

flydude380

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Firstly, you need to establish whether you are medically fit. If that's a yes, you then need a whole load of cash. If you've a whole load of cash, you need to get a degree in any subject. Once you have that, and you've sucessfully completed pilot training, you need to build 1,500+ hours. Then, once you're done building hours and gaining experience at regionals, you can start applying to the majors!! ;)

You also need to be sure you truly have a passion for this industry and are willing to take the risks that come with it.

I'm a final year law student and have been working as a part-time passenger service agent for sometime. I love the industry and do love working in it to some extent. I also would like to train to become a pilot if money permits and I find I'd rather invest in pilot training than a house! I've also looked at managerial roles, well paid flight attendant roles etc...

However, it has opened my eyes and I'm now contemplating whether I'll stay in it or not. Besides, the fair share of 3 am starts followed by going to uni after a shift has done my body in big time!! Plus, I'm sick of all the cuts that keep happening and I'm afraid of being in an industry that does not promise any job security etc... Lol!!

Matt6461

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 am

Judging by some of the posters here, you don't need basic reasoning ability or more than rudimentary arithmetic to be an airline pilot.

IPFreely

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:45 am

mmo wrote:
Also, consider the military as an avenue to the airlines.

This is sound advice. Much better than the posters telling you to throw money at training until you run out. For the OP the best path is an appointment to one of the service academies like the USAF academy or Annapolis. But given his comments on high school math and science this may not work -- a public university ROTC program might be more realistic although you will have to pay tuition as opposed to the free service academy education. But when it comes to flight training, not only is it free but you will be paid for doing it, as opposed to paying for it.

VSMUT

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Matt6461 wrote:
Judging by some of the posters here, you don't need basic reasoning ability or more than rudimentary arithmetic to be an airline pilot.

We don't have the capacity to do anything complex, we are already fully occupied with flying, navigating and communicating.

I've seen many people come to their first lessons at flying school having attended extra classes for complex mathematics in order to prepare them, but couldn't even do basic stuff without a calculator.