Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jimharttft
Topic Author

Looking for a technical expert on FIAT G series from 1945-50 for research on upcoming book

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

I am writing a book about the Superga air disaster, I am a football writer, not an aviation expert. I am looking for help on the technical aspects of the FIAT G 212CP that was used in the crash that took the lives of all onboard on 4 May 1949. Il Grande Torino was returning from an exhibition match against Benfica in Lisbona when they struck the Superga monastery near Torino Italy on approach. The greatest team of the day were all killed, along with their manager and 3 journalists.

Torino supplied 10 of the 11 starters to the Azzurri, the Italian national football team,. They were considered the greatest post WWII team and would have likely won the first European Cup. Instead the great GAlacticos of Real Madrid became the team of the 50's and Torino went into steep decline.

I have looked at the safety record of the FIAT planes, and it is very good. I believe it was a weather related incident that caused this accident. What I want to do in the book is give a good history of the plane itself, along with the football related material. Anyone who has any professional opinion on these models, the CP or CA, which are very similar in most ways that I can tell. I would give professional acknowledgement,ent in the book.

Thank you in advance

jimharttft
Topic Author

Re: Looking for a technical expert on FIAT G series from 1945-50 for research on upcoming book

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm

WIederling wrote:

Thank you so much for the links.... I am very new at researching aviation. It is much appreciated.