skywalker92
Topic Author

Who should leave the aircraft first during a hijack?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 am

Lets us say if hijackers have entered to an aircraft which was ready for the departure, if someone(pilots/flight attendants or passengers on board) got a chance to evade from the aircraft who should evade first? Is there any operational procedure to follow during such an incident?

I know that this is somewhat a weird question, but I got this problem when watching a movie called Neerja-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5286444/ about the Pan Am flight 73.

Regards,
skywalker92
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

flydude380

Re: Who should leave the aircraft first during a hijack?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am

I think pilots of course and even flight attendants to a certain extent. Why? Cause the crew are a vital component for hijackers to carry out their mission.

Woodreau

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Well.... you haven't said whether the hijackers were discovered before departure. that wouldn't make them very good hijackers would it. I imagine hijackers would be very compliant, courteous, nice, and accommodating until they didn't need to be.

Anyways, based on your prior postings, I believe you do work for an airline, so you would have access to the manuals which address what actions to take - and refer you there ... as opposed to ... here.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Redbellyguppy

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Nobody who actually has access to SSI is going to comment about that here.

skywalker92
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 pm

flydude380 wrote:
I think pilots of course and even flight attendants to a certain extent. Why? Cause the crew are a vital component for hijackers to carry out their mission.

Even I hope so flydude380. That's what happening in the movie also.
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

skywalker92
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Woodreau wrote:
Well.... you haven't said whether the hijackers were discovered before departure. that wouldn't make them very good hijackers would it. I imagine hijackers would be very compliant, courteous, nice, and accommodating until they didn't need to be.

Anyways, based on your prior postings, I believe you do work for an airline, so you would have access to the manuals which address what actions to take - and refer you there ... as opposed to ... here.

I was talking about if they were discovered before the departure.

Redbellyguppy wrote:

Even I don't know Which document to refer for further info :D :D
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

jnev3289

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Redbellyguppy wrote:

I don't think SSI on priority of leaving the aircraft if a hijacker is found prior to departure exists

USAirKid

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm

skywalker92 wrote:
Lets us say if hijackers have entered to an aircraft which was ready for the departure, if someone(pilots/flight attendants or passengers on board) got a chance to evade from the aircraft who should evade first? Is there any operational procedure to follow during such an incident?

I know that this is somewhat a weird question, but I got this problem when watching a movie called Neerja-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5286444/ about the Pan Am flight 73.

Regards,
skywalker92

I have no special insights, but logically I think the answer is no one should leave the plane until a police response.

If the hijackers are known to the pilots before before departure the plane shouldn't take off. The pilots are in a more or less bulletproof room and they have the final say if an airplane takes off or not. They also have access to radios that can request a police response to the airplane, in addition to something more mundane, like parking an ARFF vehicle in the way of the aircraft's movement.

If the pilots aren't informed of the hijackers, but the FAs know of the hijackers? In this case, the FAs could do something subtle, like not responding to the pilot's requests, or opening an exterior door, which would be noted in the cockpit. This would then result in pilots taking action to address the unknown issue. There are also are systems where the cockpit has video cameras into the cabin, so they could use this tool in determining what the issue is. (FWIW, this is something LiveTV has advertised on their website.)

The passengers shouldn't be evacuated before a police response, because the hijackers will blend in with the passengers in the chaos, and depending on the location of the plane on the airfield could escape off of airport property.

All of these presuppose a post-September 11th hijacking, where the aircraft itself is presumed to be a weapon, and it is assumed that in any scenario everyone onboard will be killed. In that case, it is better that only the people on the airplane be killed, instead of everyone on the airplane being killed in addition to those on the ground being killed as well.

In a pre-September 11th hijacking, I believe the scenario that was generally followed was one of cooperation, but that was only after the airplane was in the air. That being said, there were many times an hijacked airplane stopped for refueling.

zeke

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 am

In an ideal world, the hijackers should get off first.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

skywalker92
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:38 am

USAirKid wrote:
skywalker92 wrote:

Regards,
skywalker92

I have no special insights, but logically I think the answer is no one should leave the plane until a police response.

If the hijackers are known to the pilots before before departure the plane shouldn't take off. The pilots are in a more or less bulletproof room and they have the final say if an airplane takes off or not. They also have access to radios that can request a police response to the airplane, in addition to something more mundane, like parking an ARFF vehicle in the way of the aircraft's movement.

If the pilots aren't informed of the hijackers, but the FAs know of the hijackers? In this case, the FAs could do something subtle, like not responding to the pilot's requests, or opening an exterior door, which would be noted in the cockpit. This would then result in pilots taking action to address the unknown issue. There are also are systems where the cockpit has video cameras into the cabin, so they could use this tool in determining what the issue is. (FWIW, this is something LiveTV has advertised on their website.)

The passengers shouldn't be evacuated before a police response, because the hijackers will blend in with the passengers in the chaos, and depending on the location of the plane on the airfield could escape off of airport property.

All of these presuppose a post-September 11th hijacking, where the aircraft itself is presumed to be a weapon, and it is assumed that in any scenario everyone onboard will be killed. In that case, it is better that only the people on the airplane be killed, instead of everyone on the airplane being killed in addition to those on the ground being killed as well.

In a pre-September 11th hijacking, I believe the scenario that was generally followed was one of cooperation, but that was only after the airplane was in the air. That being said, there were many times an hijacked airplane stopped for refueling.

Thanks a lot USAirKid :)
Figured it out! Got some understanding.

zeke wrote:
In an ideal world, the hijackers should get off first.

In an ideal world no one should hijack an aircraft :D
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

NozPerry

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm

It was my understanding that Flight deck should leave the aircraft first as without them, the aircraft can’t go anywhere (if it was on the ground at either it’s origin or at another airfield), by either deadbolting the door and escaping through the DV windows in flight deck.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 am

Anyone.....
But if the flight crew has escaped then the aircraft stays grounded.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

USAirKid

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:31 am

HAWK21M wrote:
Anyone.....
But if the flight crew has escaped then the aircraft stays grounded.

That presumes the hijackers don't know how to fly the plane....