Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B727skyguy
Topic Author

Odd Cabin Safety Procedure On TK

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 am

I recently flew ATH/IST on TK and saw a very odd procedure by the cabin crew. As we were taxiing to the gate in IST, I noticed that one of the cabin crew had closed the divider curtain between C and Y class and was standing in the aisle guarding it. There was a placard that very clearly stated "Curtain must remain open for taxi, take off, and landing."

Closing the curtain and blocking the aisle could have impeded an emergency evacuation. Why would the cabin crew do this? In the US, that would be a major FAA violation.

PayaLebar

Re: Odd Cabin Safety Procedure On TK

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 am

B727skyguy wrote:
I recently flew ATH/IST on TK and saw a very odd procedure by the cabin crew. As we were taxiing to the gate in IST, I noticed that one of the cabin crew had closed the divider curtain between C and Y class and was standing in the aisle guarding it. There was a placard that very clearly stated "Curtain must remain open for taxi, take off, and landing."

Closing the curtain and blocking the aisle could have impeded an emergency evacuation. Why would the cabin crew do this? In the US, that would be a major FAA violation.

This is probably to prevent the mad rush of Economy Class passengers trying to exit the aircraft ahead of the other passengers (including Business Class passengers). FAA regulations may differ from those in Turkey.

B727skyguy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:00 am

PayaLebar wrote:
B727skyguy wrote:

This is probably to prevent the mad rush of Economy Class passengers trying to exit the aircraft ahead of the other passengers (including Business Class passengers). FAA regulations may differ from those in Turkey.

While that's understandable, it's still a safety violation. There was a placard next to the curtain that stated, "Curtain must remain open for taxi, takeoff, and landing." Why would TK have that safety placard if it didn't apply?

eta unknown

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:50 am

You had an over-enthusiastic crew member in your section. Unless it happens on a flight to the USA and the FAA becomes receives a complaint, consider it a moot point. The safety placard was probably installed by the aircraft manufacturer. Is it a safety violation- yes. Is anything going to be done about it- no. My favourite experience was NW crew letting a pax stay in the lavatory for landing on a 747.

oldannyboy

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 pm

PayaLebar wrote:
B727skyguy wrote:

This is probably to prevent the mad rush of Economy Class passengers trying to exit the aircraft ahead of the other passengers (including Business Class passengers).

FAA regulations may differ from those in Turkey.

This :checkmark:

and this: FAA regulations may differ from those in Turkey

Surely not a 'safety breach' to write home about. In case of an emergency said FA would have likely been walked over by escaping passengers!

OA940

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm

To be honest a curtain wouldn't exactly block pax. Plus the FA would probably open it anyway.

Gr8Circle

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:20 pm

You yourself said that the FA closed the curtain and was then "Standing guard next to it".....maybe the FA was standing there to ensure that the safety issue was covered? Meaning, in case of an emergency, the FA could quickly open the curtain? And also ensure in the normal course that economy passengers wait until premium passengers are off the plane......

eisenbach

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 am

Happens quiet often at Turkish Airlines and some other Middle East airlines. Sometimes, they do not close the curtain, but place one flight attendant between C and Y, in order to prevent Y pax filling up the C cabin, as soon as the plane is near the gate :-)

I don't see a big safety issue and as said before, regulations may vary from country to country (e.g. opening window shades during taxi, t/o and landing in Europe vs. US).

zeke

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 am

Doesn’t sound like a “major violation” to me, and may we’ll be covered by the local regulator.

Refuelling with passengers onboard is forbidden by many regulators but okay if there is one cabin crew in each zone. The cabin crew standing there I think is the key.

How many passengers on the flight unfastened their seatbelts while the seatbelt sign was on ?

jman

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 pm

B727skyguy wrote:

The Taxi part is generally when taxing for take off. If the FA was already there guarding it during the taxi it means the pilot has already given permission for the FA to get out of their seats.