Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNAOWB
Topic Author

Items that airline pilots cannot purchase at airports?

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:25 am

Aside from open containers of alcohol, what (if any) items are uniformed airline pilots generally forbidden from purchasing at airports by airline policies? I am thinking of items (that certain segments of society could find fault with) such as adult magazines, sealed bottles of alcohol, tobacco products, controversial books, or even lottery tickets.

goldorak

Re: Items that airline pilots cannot purchase at airports?

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am

I don’t see why a pilot could not buy alcohol or tobacco in an airport as long as it’s not for consumption on-board of course, or a lottery ticket... :confused:

Redbellyguppy

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:51 am

Before they stopped selling them I bought lottery tickets at PDX all the time.

Playing the slots at las, that's a different story.

787Driver

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 am

goldorak wrote:
I don’t see why a pilot could not buy alcohol or tobacco in an airport as long as it’s not for consumption on-board of course, or a lottery ticket... :confused:

We can. We are just not allowed to store it on the flight deck. Cabin crew will happily help storing it somewhere else.

cskok8

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:07 am

Buying a lottery ticket indicates confidence that the flight will land and everyone walk off safely

SCQ83

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:37 am

I saw Turkmenistan pilots buying bottles of alcohol (and many more items) in the AUH T2 Duty Free years ago.

ThrottleHold

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 am

BNAOWB wrote:
I am thinking of items (that certain segments of society could find fault with) such as adult magazines, sealed bottles of alcohol, tobacco products, controversial books, or even lottery tickets.

With the infectious spread of the "eternally offended and outraged" snowflake mob these days, I probably couldn't buy a bottle of water without "offending" some social media whinger.

I buy alcohol all the time in duty free stores in terminals. I'm sure as hell not going to pay the inflated prices where I live.

ACDC8

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:47 am

BNAOWB wrote:
I am thinking of items (that certain segments of society could find fault with) such as adult magazines, sealed bottles of alcohol, tobacco products, controversial books, or even lottery tickets.

What? Seriously? :rotfl:

PatrickZ80

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:51 am

As far as I know pilots are allowed to buy anything that is for sale the same way passengers are allowed to. Only it should fit in their hand luggage, that's the only limitation.

Getting them through customs upon arrival is another issue, they might have to declare them. But that goes for passengers as well, so really there is no difference between a pilot and a passenger.

WIederling

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 am

BNAOWB wrote:
Aside from open containers of alcohol, what (if any) items are uniformed airline pilots generally forbidden from purchasing at airports by airline policies? I am thinking of items (that certain segments of society could find fault with) such as adult magazines, sealed bottles of alcohol, tobacco products, controversial books, or even lottery tickets.

You have rather strange ideas. :-)

ref: "that certain segments of society could find fault with"
Ah, the moral majority. Fake beards for sale, what about those?

Dutchy

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:46 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
As far as I know pilots are allowed to buy anything that is for sale the same way passengers are allowed to. Only it should fit in their hand luggage, that's the only limitation.

Getting them through customs upon arrival is another issue, they might have to declare them. But that goes for passengers as well, so really there is no difference between a pilot and a passenger.

:checkmark:

Pilots are citizens too, the last time I checked. Consuming alcohol is forbidden by law anyway, but buying a beautiful bottle of wisky, don't see the problem.

However I do question the skills of a pilot if he buys a lottery ticket, he flunked math for sure :rotfl:

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:18 pm

I go to duty free all the time and buy alcohol and there’s no restriction on bringing it into the cockpit at our airline. It’s sealed.

airbazar

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Nope. I'm pretty sure that pilots are not subject to the same carry-on restrictions that passengers are. And if it's too large to fit they can always check it at the gate.

787Driver

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Pilots are citizens too, the last time I checked. Consuming alcohol is forbidden by law anyway, but buying a beautiful bottle of wisky, don't see the problem.

However I do question the skills of a pilot if he buys a lottery ticket, he flunked math for sure :rotfl:

I'd question the skills of anyone buying lottery tickets :-D

OA940

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:19 pm

My question is: WHO BUYS THEM MAGAZINES IN 2017?! I MEAN WE HAVE MUCH MORE INTERACTIVE THINGS NOW!

ckfred

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:54 pm

787Driver wrote:
goldorak wrote:

We can. We are just not allowed to store it on the flight deck. Cabin crew will happily help storing it somewhere else.

I know pilots who have bought alcohol while in the Caribbean or Mexico, because prices are much lower than even discount stores in the U.S.

I thought that the FAA had imposed a limit on the amount of alcohol that passengers can carry into a cabin, presumably as a response to 9/11.

Back in the 1990s, I used to see many people at SFO with cardboard carriers with 4 and 6 bottles of wine. Presumably, they had been to Napa and Sonoma. But, the last time my wife flew out of SFO, she saw very few wine bottles. By the same token, I've seen also sorts of products in catalogs for putting wine bottles in checked bags, or for shipping by USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Presumably, they are padded and leakproof.

COSPN

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:04 pm

They have to check the wine nowadays they have special containers for them ..

VSMUT

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:39 pm

BNAOWB wrote:

We aren't forbidden from buying alcohol or tobacco (the latter is one thing you see many crew members buy VERY often), and you probably won't find adult magazines or controversial books at airports in the first place.

airbazar wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Nope. I'm pretty sure that pilots are not subject to the same carry-on restrictions that passengers are. And if it's too large to fit they can always check it at the gate.

I think that depends on the airline policy though. At my airline, I operated a flight where the captain took his mountainbike with him, and I know of others that took surfboards. I doubt all airlines are quite so generous though.

787Driver wrote:

Again, depends on the operators policy.

STLflyer

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Of course they can buy adult magazines:

BravoOne

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 pm

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

BravoOne

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:18 pm

BravoOne wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Well I hate break this news to you but there was a DL/PAA pilot who purchased Florida lottery ticket back around 1990. He won 20 million but did not quit his job as I recall. I guess that disproves your theory?

Dutchy

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 pm

BravoOne wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
787Driver wrote:

Well I hate break this news to you but there was a DL/PAA pilot who purchased Florida lottery ticket back around 1990. He won 20 million but did not quit his job as I recall. I guess that disproves your theory?

Nope and please come over and play poker with me, pretty please :twisted:

CosmicCruiser

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 pm

I was told to walk away from the Duty Free liquor display in Delhi because I was in uniform.

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:09 am

I agree with some posters above. These days some people are so ready to take offense it's ridiculous. If a pilot buys a bottle of Whisky at duty free, please be confident he won't consume it on board, or even in uniform. Consuming alcohol in uniform is a firing offense at my airline.

CosmicCruiser wrote:
I was told to walk away from the Duty Free liquor display in Delhi because I was in uniform.

By the staff? Wow. :roll:

COSPN wrote:
They have to check the wine nowadays they have special containers for them ..

At what airline? If I buy some wine at duty free (inside security) I can merrily carry it on board as long as I don't store it in the cockpit.

aeropix

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:10 am

There are airports at which, due to local regulations, Pilots and Cabin Crew are prohibited to shop for Duty Free Items. Italy and Norway are two countries where I've experienced this.

In the USA, crew are limited to ONE bottle of ALREADY OPENED and PARTIALLY CONSUMED alcohol (officially, though I know many crew violate this). Ostensibly the rule is there in the USA, Italy, and Norway, to prevent crew members on Transborder "Shuttle" flights from basically operating a small business by bringing in mountains of Duty Free goods during their working time and potentially multiple daily trips across the borders.

Anecdotally, I had a little bit of fun when I was flying LAX-Mexico-Houston trips regularly. Id always pick up 5 or 6 bottles of wine at Trader Joe's in LAX (before they were nationwide) and "smuggle" them through customs in Houston after the 2-leg trip. The few times I was "caught" by the eager and hungry Customs folks, it was always a small pleasure to produce the receipt from Trader Joe's showing I had purchased it domestically and paid full tax and Duty already, and see the disappointed look on their faces when they realized I had done nothing wrong.

There was a period of time when Customs was on a "Mission" to nab crew members for frivolous offenses, like accidentally taking a piece of fruit in their bags (which also had been purchased in the USA earlier in the trip) so it was a satisfaction to "get back at them" in this way.

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 am

Whatever you do, don't ever bring fresh produce, meat or fish into Australia, even accidentally. Your time in customs will be long and tedious...

26point2

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 pm

ThrottleHold wrote:
With the infectious spread of the "eternally offended and outraged" snowflake mob these days, I probably couldn't buy a bottle of water without "offending" some social media whinger.

I buy alcohol all the time in duty free stores in terminals. I'm sure as hell not going to pay the inflated prices where I live.

Gee...you sound like a fun guy.

To the OP’s point...many years ago Travel Life Insurance policies were available for purchase at airline terminals. Might still be, I dont know, but I have not seen this in years. .I would imagine it was frowned on for a pilot to be seen buying one of these policies prior to his flight.

Flow2706

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:13 pm

In some countries there are more stringent restrictions on crews (also ships crews etc. - I think the wording in the German law is "persons who usually leave the European union more than once a month for work purposes" or similar, too lazy to look it up now...) than there are on passengers on what you have to declare with customs. This is to avoid people making a business with bringing "gifts" for friends...but no other restrictions...
Last edited by Flow2706 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flow2706

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Sorry double posting, mods you can delete the second one...

CosmicCruiser

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm

[quote="aeropix"]

In the USA, crew are limited to ONE bottle of ALREADY OPENED and PARTIALLY CONSUMED alcohol (officially, though I know many crew violate this). Ostensibly the rule is there in the USA, Italy, and Norway, to prevent crew members on Transborder "Shuttle" flights from basically operating a small business by bringing in mountains of Duty Free goods during their working time and potentially multiple daily trips across the borders.

Actually my experience with that, and believe me I read it out loud to more than one customs agent, is that on the back of our "Gen Dec" it addresses items that Do Not have to declared and the "crew bottle" was one. There was a small quantity of tobacco and items bought that were needed for the flight such as toiletries. I brought wine from France most every trip and could have been charged duty but never was. As for the "Crew Bottle" we were not allowed to have "open" liquor on the jet so it was never a player. In earlier years we could have a crew bottle but it was stopped years ago.

I also had a chocolate chip cookie confiscated in Seoul because it contained nuts. No Nuts allowed.

Georgetown

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:54 pm

ckfred wrote:
Back in the 1990s, I used to see many people at SFO with cardboard carriers with 4 and 6 bottles of wine. Presumably, they had been to Napa and Sonoma. But, the last time my wife flew out of SFO, she saw very few wine bottles. By the same token, I've seen also sorts of products in catalogs for putting wine bottles in checked bags, or for shipping by USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Presumably, they are padded and leakproof.

If you’re referring to post-security it probably has more to do with liquid carry-on restrictions that went into effect in 2006 more than anything else.

Balerit

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
Whatever you do, don't ever bring fresh produce, meat or fish into Australia, even accidentally. Your time in customs will be long and tedious...

I know a guy who was a Flighty and he used to sprinkle the leftover spices from 'biltong' in the turn ups of his trousers - used to drive the OZ customs people and their sniffer dogs nuts.

BravoOne

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Nope and please come over and play poker with me, pretty please :twisted:

Now youre an expert poker player and odds maker? What a load of make believe.

Gr8Circle

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 pm

What about pilots buying a life insurance policy before departure?

Starlionblue

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:26 am

Balerit wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I know a guy who was a Flighty and he used to sprinkle the leftover spices from 'biltong' in the turn ups of his trousers - used to drive the OZ customs people and their sniffer dogs nuts.

:D

There are stories of practical jokes, and small acts of revenge against unpleasant colleagues.

Stealthz

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am

A relative of my father had a senior management position with a major Australian International airline** in the '60s and at that time there were restrictions on what crew could bring into Oz..
The relative travelled nearly as often as the crews so on many trips he had no significant duty free needs, he would make contact with the crew before the flight and see if they wanted anything brought in..

** Yes OK, how many major Australian International Airlines were there in the '60s?

Stealthz

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

Balerit wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I flew back into SYD early one morning and the man from AQIS and his nice beagle were giving me quite the going over until I remembered that an hour so earlier a flight attendant had dropped a tray while clearing the breakfast service and there was bacon and tomato omelette smeared down my camera bag!