Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Goodbye
Topic Author

Vietnam - flaps set to takeoff position upon engine shut down?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:09 am

I’ve been travelling to Vietnam a few times a year over the last few years, and I’ve always noticed that on all my domestic flights (A320s and (A321s) the flaps are retracted to only their takeoff position at the conclusion of the previous flight. I haven’t noticed this anywhere else in the world. Does anyone have any insights as to why this is the case? Does it really save that much time for the next flight?

N353SK

Re: Vietnam - flaps set to takeoff position upon engine shut down?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 am

What was the temperature outside? If it's hot (30C - 40C depending on operator) the crew will not fully retract the slats in order to prevent errant air bleed fault messages.

zeke

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:03 am

Airbus SOP to have flaps at 1 above 30 deg C

Goodbye
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Definitely always over 30 outside. Thanks for the answers!

barney captain

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:42 am

That's interesting as I can think of countless times this wasn't followed. AA in PHX all summer long comes to mind.

Is this up to the carrier to follow?

I would think this must be a preferred technique as opposed to SOP.

Starlionblue

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 am

barney captain wrote:
That's interesting as I can think of countless times this wasn't followed. AA in PHX all summer long comes to mind.

It's in the normal standard operating procedures for after landing, but the relevant passage says "may", not "shall" or "must", so I suppose you are correct in calling it "preferred technique".

"On ground, hot weather conditions may cause overheating to be detected around the bleed ducts in the wings, resulting in “AIR L (R) WING LEAK” warnings. Such warnings may be avoided during transit by keeping slats in CONF 1, when OAT is above 30 °C."

zeke

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 am

barney captain wrote:

Yes it is up to the carrier, it may result in higher maintenance costs if not followed.

DocLightning

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 am

zeke wrote:
Yes it is up to the carrier, it may result in higher maintenance costs if not followed.

And yet AA does not do it (at least in PHX) and nor did US before them. US operated the single largest Airbus fleet in the world when they merged with AA. There are few, if any, carriers in the world who know more about the operation of the Airbus A320 family than AA. And they do not follow this recommendation.

And now I am curious as to why that is. Aren't you?

Flow2706

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 am

DocLightning wrote:
zeke wrote:

And yet AA does not do it (at least in PHX) and nor did US before them. US operated the single largest Airbus fleet in the world when they merged with AA. There are few, if any, carriers in the world who know more about the operation of the Airbus A320 family than AA. And they do not follow this recommendation.

That's interesting - all three airlines that I've worked for so far follow this procedure (you have one or two Captains that think they know better, but that is non standard)...I never encountered the bleed leak message but I guess it would happen once in a while if we didn't follow this procedure...
Maybe the reason is related to ground handling though. Some fuel truck drivers refuse to connect if the flaps are not retracted (I guess they are worried about hitting the extended Slats while positioning themselves under/near the wing) - in this case we just fire up the hydraulics again and retract the flaps...

barney captain

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:27 am

Interesting indeed. I've seen many airlines of various nationalities follow that procedure in various parts of the world - but can't think of one US carrier I've seen do it.

I always assumed it was just a technique of saving a full cycle on the flaps by retracting them to the take-off setting (usually One I believe).

Woodreau

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 am

We used to leave the flaps at flaps 1 when the oat was >30c. Then after an aircraft mod was installed to the entire fleet our procedure was changed to leave the flaps at flaps 1 when the oat is >40c.

I remember the flaps being in conf 1 after landing being not an uncommon occurrence. Since the change it was rare for us to leave the flaps in conf 1 after landing.

CRJ900

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:32 am

Perhaps humidity plays a factor in the VN vs AA manual... Vietnam being hot and humid while PHX is hot and dry?

Leej

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 am

So, in effect, the temp probes think the anti-icing is on when it's not? And by dropping slats etc to first stage it gives the probes a bit of a breeze?

Woodreau

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Not that anti-icing is on, but to prevent the two Bleed Monitoring Computers from thinking there is a bleed leak.

AA737-823

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:37 am

DocLightning wrote:
zeke wrote:

Well, Doc, I've never questioned your sanity before, and I'm not about to now. But I can definitely tell you I've seen this done by AA at PHX more times than I could count, and US/HP before them.
You could, the last time I was through there some time ago, see dozens of A319s and A320s lined up at the terminal with slats down.

I understand there's been a mod (as there should be... poor Fifi A320s, can't handle warm climates without their fire bells going off? For shame!), and this may not be necessary any more.

DocLightning

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
Well, Doc, I've never questioned your sanity before, and I'm not about to now.

That makes me want to question your sanity. :mrgreen:

AA737-823 wrote:
But I can definitely tell you I've seen this done by AA at PHX more times than I could count, and US/HP before them.
You could, the last time I was through there some time ago, see dozens of A319s and A320s lined up at the terminal with slats down.

Perhaps you're right. Living near SFO and OAK, there's rarely a reason for me to fly to PHX unless I am visiting my uncle.