cpr05
Topic Author

737 Scimitar Vs 737 MAX Split tip.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 pm

What are the differences between the two? I assume the retrofit was to become as close to the max winglet as possible? Also Why does the retrofit have a Raked tip and the max winglet being flat.

georgiaame

Re: 737 Scimitar Vs 737 MAX Split tip.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 pm

There is a very good discussion on this exact topic a few threads up, started by Mauricio Chung. Even this non engineer understood it, and it's a question I've been harboring for a while. IMHO, those engineer guys are pretty smart cookies to think this stuff up and then making it practical. Enjoy your read.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

ikolkyo

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Because they are 2 completely different wingtip devices.
The Split-Scimitar winglet on the NG is a modification to the basic winglet the aircraft already has, it was not to get as close to the MAX Winglet design.

The MAX winglet aka the AT Winglet is a different design made by Boeing.

SCAT15F

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 am

The Split Scimitar is superior to Boeing's design by .5%. Never understood why Boeing decided to make its own design in the first place. Plus its fugly compared to the split scimitar, mainly because the bottom element is splayed out so far. Ruins the looks of the MAX in my opinion.

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 am

SCAT15F wrote:
The Split Scimitar is superior to Boeing's design by .5%. Never understood why Boeing decided to make its own design in the first place. Plus its fugly compared to the split scimitar, mainly because the bottom element is splayed out so far. Ruins the looks of the MAX in my opinion.

Presumably Boeing saw some economic benefit. Perhaps it costs less?

I don't think either the operators or the paying customers much care what it looks like.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

LH707330

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 am

SCAT15F wrote:

Do you have a source for this? I've heard that the MAX ATW is slightly better.

SCAT15F

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:53 am

That was from Flight Global a few years ago when John Ostrower was still there. The Split scimitar is good for 2-3% over the normal APB blended winglet while the Boeing ATW was initially pegged at 1% and then was upgraded to 1.5% better than the APB blended winglet. Here is the article.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -o-375348/

LH707330

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:04 am

Hmmm, interesting. I knew about the McDac guy doing the split winglets, maybe it'll come full circle soon and they'll do the Airbus tortilla chips next.