jonathanpun
Topic Author

Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi all, I'm a newbie mechanic, and I know that there are many experienced mechanics/technicians/engineers here. So may I ask will you guys access those Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices?

Currently, I can only access my company's manuals on a computer. I need to first download a Java file from my company's website, then it will automatically download the AirN@v for me to access the manuals on my company's server. But, sometimes I may need to read the manual on the ramp/tarmac, where I can't have a computer but only an Android mobile phone. So could you suggest a convenient way for me to open the AirN@v on my Android phone, or for me to read the manuals?

Or I have to download PDFssssssss to my phone? But how could I generate those PDFsssss from AirN@v or AirbusWorld?

Hope that someone can help. Cheers :)

7673mech

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 am

Go to computer, print it, take it with you.
Has work very well for many years.

B6JFKH81

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 am

I have a company-issued iPad that has access to the Airbus manuals, the M&E system and everything else I need through various apps. Comes in handy when I gotta run around to multiple aircraft on the hangar floors, then over to the warehouse, solve a 2am wakeup call issue from the hotel, etc. So it is quite possible, although I would never suggest trying to do that type of stuff on your personal device...also I would not recommend going smaller than a tablet-sized screen since those manuals get really hard to navigate as the screen shrinks.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

unimproved

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't know about Airbus, but we get iPads with Boeing Toolbox Mobile Library and 4G/LTE.

VC-10

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Yes, we have company issued iPads with Airbus e-doc & Boeing Toolbox and a 4G connection for worldwide use

Newbiepilot

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 pm

7673mech wrote:

While that works, it also takes time. When an airplane is on the ground especially with passengers, that is wasted time. I've used toolbox mobile library on an iPad and never want to go back. Paper is so old fashioned and slow. Finding the wiring diagram when you are in the EE bay for a circuit that you didn't print the diagram or schematic for can take 10-15 minutes in the old fashioned paper world back in the office or a matter of seconds with the pads

StereoTechque

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am

B6JFKH81 wrote:
also I would not recommend going smaller than a tablet-sized screen since those manuals get really hard to navigate as the screen shrinks.

I agree..
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

VC-10

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am

In a way this thread is quiet amusing. When I started in the industry all the manuals were hard copy in the hangar secured in a rack, you didn't have the option of taking the manual to the aircraft unless you went to the Tech Library and booked a manual out in your own name.

Lpbri

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 am

If these apps exist, you can bet AA does not have them.

fr8mech

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm

You should be using mobile devices that are approved by, and provided to you, by your employer. Anything else may be outside the regulations.

As for the time constraints in getting paper, it is up to your employer to determine whether or not it is worth the resources to invest in portable manuals to mitigate delay time.

VC-10 wrote:
In a way this thread is quiet amusing. When I started in the industry all the manuals were hard copy in the hangar secured in a rack, you didn't have the option of taking the manual to the aircraft unless you went to the Tech Library and booked a manual out in your own name.

While I don’t go as far back as having to check out a paper manual, I do remember microfilm and microfiche. With their lightning fast 1 page per 30 second print cycle , and fuzzy, at best, wiring diagrams.

I’ll tell you the truth, I still go to our “reference only” FIM books on our B757/B767, as an starting point. I can find the appropriate tree much faster on paper than in the computer. Then it’s just a matter of going to the computer and using the most currrent revision.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

VC-10

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm

fr8', you could always find Chapt. 78 in the 707 books, they were the pages with the black edges to them!

fr8mech

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 pm

VC-10 wrote:
fr8', you could always find Chapt. 78 in the 707 books, they were the pages with the black edges to them!

When I worked at a previous carrier, we had a set of hardcopy wiring diagrams for our DC-8-62 that we carried on the aircraft. On the rare occasion that I had to break out a print, I always used those...and strangely, it was chapter 78 and those pneumatic reversers that sought y attention.

DL777200LR

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
7673mech wrote:

While that works, it also takes time. When an airplane is on the ground especially with passengers, that is wasted time. I've used toolbox mobile library on an iPad and never want to go back. Paper is so old fashioned and slow. Finding the wiring diagram when you are in the EE bay for a circuit that you didn't print the diagram or schematic for can take 10-15 minutes in the old fashioned paper world back in the office or a matter of seconds with the pads

Maybe one day my company will have a tablet of some sort that actually works lol, till then it’s paper for me :(
Nothing better than the sound of a 77W GE-90 engine start.

Newbiepilot

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:18 am

fr8mech wrote:
You should be using mobile devices that are approved by, and provided to you, by your employer. Anything else may be outside the regulations.

As for the time constraints in getting paper, it is up to your employer to determine whether or not it is worth the resources to invest in portable manuals to mitigate delay time.

VC-10 wrote:

While I don’t go as far back as having to check out a paper manual, I do remember microfilm and microfiche. With their lightning fast 1 page per 30 second print cycle , and fuzzy, at best, wiring diagrams.

I’ll tell you the truth, I still go to our “reference only” FIM books on our B757/B767, as an starting point. I can find the appropriate tree much faster on paper than in the computer. Then it’s just a matter of going to the computer and using the most currrent revision.

I love the mobile documents. And yes iPads are company issued with data that has to be updated regularly. I can find things so much faster electronically but I grew up in the age of all the manuals being online.

fr8mech

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 am

We just got a brandie new aircraft delivered and what do I see in our Tech Services office? Three hard cases with paper wiring diagram manuals straight from Boeing. Didn't realized they still provided paper. I wonder if the AMM and IPC, and the myriad manuals normally provided with an aircraft are in paper somewhere.