jonathanpun
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi all, I'm a newbie mechanic, and I know that there are many experienced mechanics/technicians/engineers here. So may I ask will you guys access those Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices?

Currently, I can only access my company's manuals on a computer. I need to first download a Java file from my company's website, then it will automatically download the AirN@v for me to access the manuals on my company's server. But, sometimes I may need to read the manual on the ramp/tarmac, where I can't have a computer but only an Android mobile phone. So could you suggest a convenient way for me to open the AirN@v on my Android phone, or for me to read the manuals?

Or I have to download PDFssssssss to my phone? But how could I generate those PDFsssss from AirN@v or AirbusWorld?

Hope that someone can help. Cheers :)
 
7673mech
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 am

Go to computer, print it, take it with you.
Has work very well for many years.
 
B6JFKH81
Posts: 2009
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:35 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 am

I have a company-issued iPad that has access to the Airbus manuals, the M&E system and everything else I need through various apps. Comes in handy when I gotta run around to multiple aircraft on the hangar floors, then over to the warehouse, solve a 2am wakeup call issue from the hotel, etc. So it is quite possible, although I would never suggest trying to do that type of stuff on your personal device...also I would not recommend going smaller than a tablet-sized screen since those manuals get really hard to navigate as the screen shrinks.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"
 
unimproved
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't know about Airbus, but we get iPads with Boeing Toolbox Mobile Library and 4G/LTE.
 
VC-10
Posts: 3549
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 1999 11:34 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Yes, we have company issued iPads with Airbus e-doc & Boeing Toolbox and a 4G connection for worldwide use
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 1965
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 pm

7673mech wrote:
Go to computer, print it, take it with you.
Has work very well for many years.


While that works, it also takes time. When an airplane is on the ground especially with passengers, that is wasted time. I've used toolbox mobile library on an iPad and never want to go back. Paper is so old fashioned and slow. Finding the wiring diagram when you are in the EE bay for a circuit that you didn't print the diagram or schematic for can take 10-15 minutes in the old fashioned paper world back in the office or a matter of seconds with the pads
 
StereoTechque
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:24 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am

B6JFKH81 wrote:
also I would not recommend going smaller than a tablet-sized screen since those manuals get really hard to navigate as the screen shrinks.

I agree..
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...
 
VC-10
Posts: 3549
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 1999 11:34 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am

In a way this thread is quiet amusing. When I started in the industry all the manuals were hard copy in the hangar secured in a rack, you didn't have the option of taking the manual to the aircraft unless you went to the Tech Library and booked a manual out in your own name.
 
Lpbri
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 am

If these apps exist, you can bet AA does not have them.
 
fr8mech
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm

You should be using mobile devices that are approved by, and provided to you, by your employer. Anything else may be outside the regulations.

As for the time constraints in getting paper, it is up to your employer to determine whether or not it is worth the resources to invest in portable manuals to mitigate delay time.


VC-10 wrote:
In a way this thread is quiet amusing. When I started in the industry all the manuals were hard copy in the hangar secured in a rack, you didn't have the option of taking the manual to the aircraft unless you went to the Tech Library and booked a manual out in your own name.


While I don’t go as far back as having to check out a paper manual, I do remember microfilm and microfiche. With their lightning fast 1 page per 30 second print cycle , and fuzzy, at best, wiring diagrams.

I’ll tell you the truth, I still go to our “reference only” FIM books on our B757/B767, as an starting point. I can find the appropriate tree much faster on paper than in the computer. Then it’s just a matter of going to the computer and using the most currrent revision.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
 
VC-10
Posts: 3549
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 1999 11:34 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm

fr8', you could always find Chapt. 78 in the 707 books, they were the pages with the black edges to them!
 
fr8mech
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 pm

VC-10 wrote:
fr8', you could always find Chapt. 78 in the 707 books, they were the pages with the black edges to them!


When I worked at a previous carrier, we had a set of hardcopy wiring diagrams for our DC-8-62 that we carried on the aircraft. On the rare occasion that I had to break out a print, I always used those...and strangely, it was chapter 78 and those pneumatic reversers that sought y attention.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
 
DL777200LR
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
7673mech wrote:
Go to computer, print it, take it with you.
Has work very well for many years.


While that works, it also takes time. When an airplane is on the ground especially with passengers, that is wasted time. I've used toolbox mobile library on an iPad and never want to go back. Paper is so old fashioned and slow. Finding the wiring diagram when you are in the EE bay for a circuit that you didn't print the diagram or schematic for can take 10-15 minutes in the old fashioned paper world back in the office or a matter of seconds with the pads



Maybe one day my company will have a tablet of some sort that actually works lol, till then it’s paper for me :(
Nothing better than the sound of a 77W GE-90 engine start.
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 1965
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:18 am

fr8mech wrote:
You should be using mobile devices that are approved by, and provided to you, by your employer. Anything else may be outside the regulations.

As for the time constraints in getting paper, it is up to your employer to determine whether or not it is worth the resources to invest in portable manuals to mitigate delay time.


VC-10 wrote:
In a way this thread is quiet amusing. When I started in the industry all the manuals were hard copy in the hangar secured in a rack, you didn't have the option of taking the manual to the aircraft unless you went to the Tech Library and booked a manual out in your own name.


While I don’t go as far back as having to check out a paper manual, I do remember microfilm and microfiche. With their lightning fast 1 page per 30 second print cycle , and fuzzy, at best, wiring diagrams.

I’ll tell you the truth, I still go to our “reference only” FIM books on our B757/B767, as an starting point. I can find the appropriate tree much faster on paper than in the computer. Then it’s just a matter of going to the computer and using the most currrent revision.


I love the mobile documents. And yes iPads are company issued with data that has to be updated regularly. I can find things so much faster electronically but I grew up in the age of all the manuals being online.
 
fr8mech
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Airbus maintenance manuals on mobile devices

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 am

We just got a brandie new aircraft delivered and what do I see in our Tech Services office? Three hard cases with paper wiring diagram manuals straight from Boeing. Didn't realized they still provided paper. I wonder if the AMM and IPC, and the myriad manuals normally provided with an aircraft are in paper somewhere.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], UltimateDelta, UTAFrench and 3 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos