Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Hong Kong Airport - landing limitations

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:35 am

I was just curious about landings at HKG, in particularly from the 07 end; most airlines use 07L and some (particularly cargo, but some CX) use 07R. However, landings on 07R can be treacherous in windy conditions, due to the nearby hills. My question is this: is there a windspeed/conditions above which 07R will not be available for landings, even on request or in emergency? Does the same apply to the 25L end?

zeke

Re: Hong Kong Airport - landing limitations

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:24 am

No, nil limits.

The airport will mainly use 07R/25L for cargo, business jet, and government air wing that all park on the southern side of the runway. When 07L/25R is shut at night for maintenance everyone is on the southern runway, the other runway normally opens again at 7:45 am local time.

celestar

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Zeke, any idea when the runway may get a major overhaul.
Last time I flew out of HK, the take off run was the most uncomfortable one in Asia! Bumpy all the way! Really in need of a major overhaul.

Starlionblue

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 am

celestar wrote:
Last time I flew out of HK, the take off run was the most uncomfortable one in Asia! Bumpy all the way! Really in need of a major overhaul.

"Most uncomfortable in Asia"? I submit that DAD and CGK are worse just to name two. :D

My only explanation to your HKG experience would be the pilot hitting every centerline light with the nose wheel. That will make any run bumpy.

zeke

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 am

celestar wrote:

07L had a partial resurface this year, guess 07R is next. Once the 3rd runway is finished they plan to close the current runways one at a time for a major update.

A lot worse around Asia, CGK, SUB

celestar

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 am

I thought the centerline lightings have been removed at HK airport runway.
Yes, I recalled in the past, the center wheel always run ontop of them and makes the take off run very 'bumpy'
I seem to recall nowaday, with the nose wheel camera on on some birds I flew, those lights seems to be removed?!

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 am

celestar wrote:
I thought the centerline lightings have been removed at HK airport runway.
Yes, I recalled in the past, the center wheel always run ontop of them and makes the take off run very 'bumpy'
I seem to recall nowaday, with the nose wheel camera on on some birds I flew, those lights seems to be removed?!

The centerline lights are still there. There is no justification for removing them. Quite the contrary. How would trainers know when to yell at their students for not staying on centerline? ;)

At many airports, the lights are slightly offset from the centerline markings. So during the day you avoid them naturally by staying on the markings. At night it is a question of sidestepping a bit if you find yourself bumping them.

I don't know for other types but on the 350 the lower camera is mounted in a fairing on the fuselage about halfway between the nose and main gear.

celestar

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:40 am

I saw the runway lights while on B777-300ER nose camera if I recalled.
Yes, the A350 has a better located camera which I happen to fly several times on CX.