Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FrenchNavyATC
Topic Author

Are ATC services ever combined into a single facility?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Does anyone know if there is a control center where a single ATCO handle Tower, Approach, Flight information services and ACC?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

atcsundevil

Re: ATC question

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:23 pm

FrenchNavyATC wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a control center where a single ATCO handle Tower, Approach, Flight information services and ACC?

Not that I'm aware of, certainly not in the US. There are plenty of combined tower/approach facilities ("up/downs"), as well as two combined center/approach facilities (CENRAPs) in San Juan and Guam. Most nations keep control facilities separate for logistical and security reasons, as well as limiting potential impacts of equipment outages, natural or manmade disasters, etc. There's really no reason for an Air Route Traffic Control Center (or Area Control Center in some parts of the world) to be combined with tower facilities, although they may be someday with the expansion of remote tower facilities. In the US, flight services are no longer operated by the FAA and are operated by a contractor, so there would be little chance of them existing in an FAA control facility. They never were, and they most likely never will be.

FrenchNavyATC
Topic Author

Re: Are ATC services ever combined into a single facility?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:01 pm

In fact, a friend of mine is an ATCO in Cayenne Control Center SOCA/SOOO , and they are sharing the Tower room (the watch???) to provide services for TWR and APP (CTR and TMA), flight information and alert services in the Golf class airspace over French Guyana territory and also to provide control services in Rochambeau-SOOO FIR/UIR . Apparently there is a staff shortage there and at night, when it's heavier in term of oceanic traffic, they also have to deal with the punctual incoming or departing traffic of their airfield SOCA. Ans there is a single controller jumping from the ACC position to TWR/APP position. I know it looks weird but they are only 12 fully qualified controllers instead of 25. And their administration refuses them to close one of the position.
I'm not sure companies and crews are aware about this safety issue when they are crossing SOOO UIR from Europe to South America and back.

FrenchNavyATC
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:07 pm

It sounds like a potential "Uberlingen" situation to me.

Redbellyguppy

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 am

I've seen Tracon combined with tower at a number of locations if it's late enough.