Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

What happens to crews during a hurricane?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Hey guys,

Might seem like a stupid question, but I've seen a ton of European arrivals into the Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas and Miami in the last couple of days, and even hours, and i was curious what would happen with the crew?

Would they stay downroute, and evacuate/shelter like locals, be flown to other parts of the country, or would they board the return flight as pax and return to Europe??

Thanks

Woodreau

Re: What happens to crews during a hurricane?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Depends on how crew scheduling wants to handle it.

Last week, the Air France and Singapore Airlines crews were not quite happy about their extended stay in their hotel in Houston.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 am

Good chance for a hurricane party.

GF

travaz

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:01 am

Woodreau wrote:

Last week, the Air France and Singapore Airlines crews were not quite happy about their extended stay in their hotel in Houston.

Not sure why they would be unhappy no doubt they are being compensated for lost flight time.

Starlionblue

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 am

travaz wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

Not sure why they would be unhappy no doubt they are being compensated for lost flight time.

We're not compensated for lost time, at least at my airline. The contract stipulates that if there's a disruption for operational reasons, we suck it up, including having to work on guaranteed off days to get home. (The legalese is naturally more fancy but that is the gist.) For downroute disruption we get the outport allowance and that's it. A meagre "compensation" at best.

All things considered, we'd rather be home than delayed downroute. If nothing else many of us have plans up to and including vacations with family.

KPDX

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm

In the case they do get stranded away from base, they get paid... They get paid a LOT. We saw that with Harvey.

744lover

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Sorry to drift off topic, but this is how Saint Marteen looks after hurricane Irma

An aerial view shows no airplanes on the tarmac, probably all carriers either canceled their flights or got back home before it hit the island.

BR,
744lover

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Starlionblue,

No trip rig to pay for "time away from base"? US contracts pay about 1 hour flight pay for each 3.5 hours out of base.

GF

aeromoe

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Similar to what "Johnny" does in the control tower in the movie Airplane: "It's a twister! It's a twister! Toto!...Auntie Em!" :bouncy:

seat55a

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Woodreau wrote:

According to New Zealand media reports, NZ crew volunteered to help out in their hotel (where employees couldn't get to work due to flooded roads)

Starlionblue

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:20 pm

KPDX wrote:
In the case they do get stranded away from base, they get paid... They get paid a LOT. We saw that with Harvey.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Starlionblue,

No trip rig to pay for "time away from base"? US contracts pay about 1 hour flight pay for each 3.5 hours out of base.

GF

I guess it depends on the country and airline. We get paid for block time plus an allowance (for meals and such) when staying in a hotel. No extra pay for just being away from base. We don't get paid extra when we are stuck downroute due to things like tropical storms.

Flyer732

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
travaz wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

We're not compensated for lost time, at least at my airline. The contract stipulates that if there's a disruption for operational reasons, we suck it up, including having to work on guaranteed off days to get home. (The legalese is naturally more fancy but that is the gist.) For downroute disruption we get the outport allowance and that's it. A meagre "compensation" at best.

All things considered, we'd rather be home than delayed downroute. If nothing else many of us have plans up to and including vacations with family.

Wow....we get 100% cancellation pay, doesn't matter the reason the flight cancelled. I had three cancel last week for weather, and I'm not at risk of losing a cent over it.

Canuck600

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 am

KPDX wrote:

Just because that's the case in the United States doesn't mean it's what happens in the rest of the world.

Starlionblue

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Flyer732 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
travaz wrote:

Wow....we get 100% cancellation pay, doesn't matter the reason the flight cancelled. I had three cancel last week for weather, and I'm not at risk of losing a cent over it.

That would be nice... :D

FlyHossD

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:44 pm

KPDX wrote:

"They get paid a LOT. We saw that with Harvey." How and where did you see that? By stating "a LOT," are you saying the crews made extra - over time - pay for the delays or cancellations?

Or are you just trolling again?

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:11 pm

They get paid standard rates, but do get trip rig--1 hour of flight pay for around 3.5 hours away from base, contracts vary. It's is not over and above, just the highest of flight time flown OR trip rig. There's also a duty rig, paid the same way but different formula.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Flyer732 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
travaz wrote:

Exactly, even at a regional, I get cancellation pay and minimum day pay (4 hours). Additionally, being forced into days off would force 150% pay and potentially compensatory days off.

KPDX

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
KPDX wrote:

Just because that's the case in the United States doesn't mean it's what happens in the rest of the world.

I didn't intentionally mean to speak for the rest of the world. Thanks for your cute comment, though. I was talking about the airline I work for.

FlyHossD wrote:
KPDX wrote:

"They get paid a LOT. We saw that with Harvey." How and where did you see that? By stating "a LOT," are you saying the crews made extra - over time - pay for the delays or cancellations?

Or are you just trolling again?

Because I deal with it hands on. Basically, if a base is closed or a pilot has to RON into an off-day for any reason away from base, they are compensated daily (pretty handsomely) for being away from base. They are guaranteed a certain amount at minimum every day. The pilots absolutely get extra pay.

Also, trolling again? I think you may be confusing me with someone else. I rarely even post here!

CosmicCruiser

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 am

Starlionblue wrote:
travaz wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

wow! that sucks. We always had the pairing rebuilt and you TAFB reflected the new pay. It was always "you get paid for the original pairing or what you actually did, which ever was higher"