Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BadgerFaceWM
Topic Author

Fuel Factor

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello,
I noticed this morning on SimBrief an option for Fuel Factor. It gave options such as: P00,M01,M02 ....

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is and how airlines use it?

Thanks in Advance.

BravoOne

Re: Fuel Factor

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 pm

I have never heard of this and don't see there term anywhere in JetPlan. Sounds like a variation of Cost Index but otherwise I remain clueless. Also, not familiar with Sim Brief, What kind of program is that?

badgervor

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 pm

https://www.simbrief.com/home/

It is a virtual flight planner for flight simulating. I use it as well and have always left the fuel factor at P0 (since I'm not sure what it does). Anyway, the fuel load it gives me, for the pmdg 737 has always been good. I'll fuel up with what the release gives me and so far haven't had any emergency fuel situations.

Woodreau

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 pm

As planes get older they tend to burn a little bit more fuel compared to when they were first delivered caused by many different factors - older less efficient engines, drag caused by a missing door panel or fairing and so forth. lots of different reasons.

The factor adjusts the FMS fuel burn prediction for that specific aircraft compared to a new aircraft. It's listed on the dispatch release and you just ensure during FMS INIT that the PRF FACTOR on the PERF INIT page matches what's listed on the release as each aircraft has its factor already pre-populated in the FMS from its performance database. I haven't seen it not match (yet). But in the event it doesn't it's not a big deal. If it's not entered, it just means your actual fuel and FMS calculated fuel burn will be different..

Edit:

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/Gettin ... toring.pdf

BravoOne

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 pm

I know that. Just have seen it expressed that was.

LAXintl

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:42 am

Different terms are used across industry such as Burn Bias, Performance Factor, Burn Factor, etc, all to indicate degradation of performance away from book values.

BadgerFaceWM
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:19 am

Woodreau wrote:
As planes get older they tend to burn a little bit more fuel compared to when they were first delivered caused by many different factors - older less efficient engines, drag caused by a missing door panel or fairing and so forth. lots of different reasons.

The factor adjusts the FMS fuel burn prediction for that specific aircraft compared to a new aircraft. It's listed on the dispatch release and you just ensure during FMS INIT that the PRF FACTOR on the PERF INIT page matches what's listed on the release as each aircraft has its factor already pre-populated in the FMS from its performance database. I haven't seen it not match (yet). But in the event it doesn't it's not a big deal. If it's not entered, it just means your actual fuel and FMS calculated fuel burn will be different..

Edit:

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/Gettin ... toring.pdf

Thank you.