husseydemm
Topic Author

VFR Flying Question

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 am

Okay, I'm going to start my Private Pilot course soon and I just wanted to double check on one thing. (I feel like an idiot for forgetting this, oh well :P)

I'll be doing an "evaluation flight" per se, to see where I stand before beginning my PPL Course. (It was recommended by my INS)

On to the important facts: I'll be flying out of SLC INTL, and just doing some general VFR stuff (Pattern work, turns, stalls, etc..), however this time I wanted to do a short trip to the west. Preferably to Tooele (TVY) in hopes of doing a couple touch and go's then coming back to Salt Lake. Here's a link to the Sectional Chart for SLC

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

As you can see in the chart, there's Class B all around SLC from Surface till 12,000 and other parts from 6 or 7 till 12. So my question is: What should the phraseology with ATC sound like, especially with Clearance? Would it just be like another VFR clearance? For example would I say, "SLC Clearance, NXXXX, requesting VFR Dep. to Tooele with flight following" or "SLC Clearance, NXXXX, requesting VFR Dep to the West" Or would I have to ask Departure for a clearance through the Bravo once I'm in the air?

Thanks a ton!

Woodreau

Re: VFR Flying Question

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Good luck, enjoy your flight.

Your instructor should be taking care of the details of getting you out of the slc bravo and should be discussing that with you during the ground portion of your flight including the interaction with atc.(But you aren't getting off the ground without a bravo clearance so it's not your third option. If you try to taxi by calling ground first, you won't get very far.)

I personally don't see the need for an evaluation flight. It will become very evident quickly what you know or don't know when your instructor flies with you and starts demoing maneuvers for you to do.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

atcsundevil
Crew

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:55 pm

husseydemm wrote:
Okay, I'm going to start my Private Pilot course soon and I just wanted to double check on one thing. (I feel like an idiot for forgetting this, oh well :P)

I'll be doing an "evaluation flight" per se, to see where I stand before beginning my PPL Course. (It was recommended by my INS)

On to the important facts: I'll be flying out of SLC INTL, and just doing some general VFR stuff (Pattern work, turns, stalls, etc..), however this time I wanted to do a short trip to the west. Preferably to Tooele (TVY) in hopes of doing a couple touch and go's then coming back to Salt Lake. Here's a link to the Sectional Chart for SLC

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

As you can see in the chart, there's Class B all around SLC from Surface till 12,000 and other parts from 6 or 7 till 12. So my question is: What should the phraseology with ATC sound like, especially with Clearance? Would it just be like another VFR clearance? For example would I say, "SLC Clearance, NXXXX, requesting VFR Dep. to Tooele with flight following" or "SLC Clearance, NXXXX, requesting VFR Dep to the West" Or would I have to ask Departure for a clearance through the Bravo once I'm in the air?

Thanks a ton!

If you're departing from SLC, you'll already be in the Bravo, so there's no need to request clearance for entry, as it's already assumed. You'll have to call up on your return PRIOR to entry into the Bravo for clearance inside, with your intentions to land at SLC. It shouldn't be a problem, particularly if the aircraft is based there, but many busy airports in Class Bravos have prohibitions against touch and go/stop and go operations without prior written consent, so it's important to state your intentions prior to entry so they know you're asking for a full stop and not a touch and go or transition.

You'll just request your VFR departure as normal on CLC Delivery. You can just say, "N12345 requests VFR departure to the (east/west/north/south)", but your way works too. To be completely honest, if you're VFR, they don't care where you're going if it's outside of their airspace, so specifying a destination isn't really necessary. But you can if you'd like.

As a heads up, they should terminate you upon leaving their airspace. I work in a center, and generally TRACON and ARTCC only work seamlessly on IFR aircraft. You'll have to call ZLC (Salt Lake Center) after your radar services have been terminated and told to squawk VFR to request flight following. Obviously flight following from center is an additional duty, so if the workload is too heavy, your request could be denied or ignored. ZLC isn't too busy of a facility, but they do have huge areas of nonradar coverage, so that might play a factor. You should get flight following, but just be prepared if you don't.

If you haven't done that before, you'd just say, "Good morning, Salt Lake Center. N12345 requests VFR flight following." They may not answer for a couple of minutes (VFR flight following is pretty much our lowest priority), so just be patient. If it's been four or five minutes, you can request again. They'll tell you to squawk and ident, then ask where you're going. "N12345 is a Cessna 172 to Toole Airport via direct." You'll have to go through the same thing coming back once you're off the ground, terminate your flight following, then make your request from Salt Lake.

Hopefully this helps give you a little insight. I don't have much piloting experience, but maybe perspective from the other side will help. Have a great flight!
Forum Moderator

ATCSuggester

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi there,

Before you call SLC clearance (make sure you have the current departure ATIS information), you need to ask yourself if you want flight following to that airport, or just out of the Bravo. In either case you will be given a departure frequency and a squawk code. After you are cleared for takeoff the tower will switch you to departure control and that is where either a) they will give you on course (maybe a vector or two) and allow you to climb to your requested VFR cruising altitude and then hand you off to the center, or b) once you are clear of the bravo (if you did not request flight following) they will terminate your RADAR service, tell you to squawk VFR and that that a frequency change is approved. If you are flying out to a practice area, flight following is not really necessary but if you are going on a cross country flight, I would highly recommend FF because that way ATC knows who you are, where you are, and what you are doing. It is always easier to get FF on the ground at an airport versus cold calling a busy center sector and waiting a few minutes to be radar identified etc.

Good luck!

husseydemm
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

Thank you so much your advices ;)