husseydemm
Topic Author

External GPS for iPad

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:44 am

Do any of you corporate jet operators use an external GPS for your iPad? I want to get one for use, since the internal GPS was designed primarily for ground use. I've heard mixed reviews about some models, but what do you recommend? I read that the signal can be lost when you turn on windshield heat... Is that true in your experience? Also, is what you use compatible with JeppFD?

I want to make sure I get a GPS receiver that can handle the altitudes and speeds we fly at in a long-range jet, while maintaining accuracy and dependability.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Woodreau

Re: External GPS for iPad

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Just my opinion., at your stage of training, ditch JeppFD.

That is a useless app even when you're working on your instrument rating.

Go with Foreflight. I think it will more useful to you as a student pilot, if your instructor allows you to use it.
If you really want Jepps, and not NOS charts that come with a Foreflight subscription, get your Jepps on Foreflight.

Pick up a stratux. http://stratux.me

You should be able to learn how to figure out where you are with just a paper chart during your initial training, the Foreflight and stratux are nice to haves during the later parts of your private training and ratings afterwards.

The vk-162 gps works in an airbus the bad elf not so much. A typical gps signal is around 40db in the open which drops to 28db in the airbus. So about a 12db signal loss. In other words the gps signal inside the airbus cockpit is 1/16 the strength outside on the ramp.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

skyhawkmatthew

Re: External GPS for iPad

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 am

In the 777, I've flown with crews using mostly either the Garmin Glo or a Bad Elf model. Both seem to work pretty well. The built-in GPS works OK as well as long as you keep the iPad mounted up near the window so it can get a signal. It can sometimes take some time to get a fix, though. The window heat is always on on the 777 and doesn't seem to prevent the GPS devices from working.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.