Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Extremely rare runway configurations

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 am

Thought I'd go ahead and start two I know well:

TPA: 10/28 (Never landed on this one despite being my home airport, but saw it once)
ISB: 12 (I got very lucky on this one, snagged it for the first time in all my years of flying here a week ago, and the airport is closing next month! I'll try to post a YT video of this soon)

Jshank83

Re: Extremely rare runway configurations

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 am

What are you asking exactly? Have people landed on runways that aren't used much or what do you mean by rare config? I'm newer to the forum so maybe I should know what you mean but I don't.

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:24 am

Jshank83 wrote:
What are you asking exactly? Have people landed on runways that aren't used much or what do you mean by rare config? I'm newer to the forum so maybe I should know what you mean but I don't.

Runways configs that are exceptionally out of the norm for an airports normal ops setup. I just commented on my experience with these two particular configs.

Bambel

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 am

FRA. Four runways, but only two for takeoffs and landings, one only for takeoffs (and only in one direction) and one only for landings.

33lspotter

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 am

Though 15R arrivals are part of Massport's "southeast" configuration, BOS rarely uses 15R for arrivals. This spring's construction on 4R/22L necessitated the use of 15R for arrivals a bit, and it was an interesting sight no doubt.

I haven't seen many 29 arrivals or 11 departures at EWR, but apparently the LY 747 has been known to land on 29 from time to time, among others.

EDIT: Originally thought OP was asking about numberings; now I understand it to be about ops.
Last edited by 33lspotter on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

dmanonice

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:39 am

In YOW we rarely use runway 14 for arrivals especially. In the winter it is used for departures after de-icing quite often. I have only landed on 14 once in my lifetime. It's reciprocal 32 and the other runway 7/25 are the normal runways. It's nice right now with 7/25 closed to see arrivals on 14!

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:42 am

I guess you could count runway 01/19 at Groningen as a rare runway. As far as I know it's only used as a taxiway, never heard of an aircraft landing or taking off there. They all use the main runway 05/23. Still, technically 01/19 is a runway and can be used as such.

Another example that comes to my mind is runway 17/35 at Lisbon. Is it ever used as a runway? Or does all traffic always use 03/21?

fraspotter

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 am

Bambel wrote:
FRA. Four runways, but only two for takeoffs and landings, one only for takeoffs (and only in one direction) and one only for landings.

Yeah that was the exact same one I was thinking of as well. Runway 18 is only used for takeoffs. From what I see on Google Maps the opposite direction of that runway doesn't even have a number posted at the end. Is this pretty normal for a runway to only have 1 number even if the other direction would almost never be used unless for emergencies? 25R/07L is only used for landings and all the videos I've ever seen of it landings are done from the 25R end. How often has 07L been used for landings? 5% of the time? More? Less? Never?

N14AZ

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 am

fraspotter wrote:
Bambel wrote:

25R/07L is only used for landings and all the videos I've ever seen of it landings are done from the 25R end. How often has 07L been used for landings? 5% of the time? More? Less? Never?

Definitely more than 5%. Your user name suggests that you are familiar with FRA so sorry if I write what you already know: during summer time we often have the wind blowing from East, in which case it's 07L. In winter season it's usually 25R.

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:21 am

fraspotter wrote:
Bambel wrote:
From what I see on Google Maps the opposite direction of that runway doesn't even have a number posted at the end.

Wow, never noticed this!

Virtual737

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 am

Schipol's Polderbaan runway which is so far from the main terminal that the taxi to/from it could take longer than the actual flight.

ltbewr

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 am

EWR's 11/29 runway was part of the original runway of the airport going back almost 90 years ago but for many years has been usually for smaller regional aircraft, rare for larger aircraft.

fraspotter

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 am

N14AZ wrote:
fraspotter wrote:
Bambel wrote:

25R/07L is only used for landings and all the videos I've ever seen of it landings are done from the 25R end. How often has 07L been used for landings? 5% of the time? More? Less? Never?

Definitely more than 5%. Your user name suggests that you are familiar with FRA so sorry if I write what you already know: during summer time we often have the wind blowing from East, in which case it's 07L. In winter season it's usually 25R.

I'm from Germany and I used to be MUCH more familiar with FRA since I used to fly in and out of it on a regular basis but haven't been back to Germany in years. January 2010 being the last time I was there. A lot has changed since then including the new north runway so I'm unfamiliar with all the newest developments. Though I can count the number of times I have ever landed on the 7s before the new north runway was opened (1) so I wasn't sure how rare it really was.

BartSimpson

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Schipol's Polderbaan runway which is so far from the main terminal that the taxi to/from it could take longer than the actual flight.

That's true - I once actually stopped the time on an AMS - DUS flight: I was more on the ground than in the air! On exit I was tempted to ask the pilot why they hadn't used the motorway...

What about CGN? Are the two smaller runways 14R/32L and 06/24 even in use?

Bambel

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 am

fraspotter wrote:
Yeah that was the exact same one I was thinking of as well. Runway 18 is only used for takeoffs. From what I see on Google Maps the opposite direction of that runway doesn't even have a number posted at the end. Is this pretty normal for a runway to only have 1 number even if the other direction would almost never be used unless for emergencies? 25R/07L is only used for landings and all the videos I've ever seen of it landings are done from the 25R end. How often has 07L been used for landings? 5% of the time? More? Less? Never?

The "split" is ca 30/70 west/east operation, depending on wind direction and sometimes noise distribution. They switch to west even if winds would allow east.

RW 18 can't be used as 36 because of the "Taunus", an area of small mountains. Also separation would be an issue as takeoffs from 36 would cross the traffic of all three other RWs.

b.

Edit: it's 75/25, see here (german only)
https://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail. ... 60&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=5992682

PanHAM

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 am

Runway 18 cant mainly be used as traffic wouldin interfere with the ohr three runways. Many flights ta off from 18 using the short cut, without messsig up with arriving or departing traffic from the other three.

The pattern is political. Besides,the southern part used to be the USAF and they did not want a third parallel runway

Bavd

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

Virtual737 wrote:

True but it is not rare. It is actually the most used rwy at AMS. For noise reasons.
Much rarer is landing on rwy 22 . Short and only used in case of very strong westerly winds.

Nicoeddf

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:55 am

fraspotter wrote:
Bambel wrote:

Direction 07 runways @FRA will be used on average one in five days. Due to terminal configuration takeoffs definitely favor 25C/07C and 18 with a rare 25L departure for freighters and BizJets, while at the same time independent Arrival OPS on 25R and 25L are commencing.
With T3 opening I guess slightly more 25L departures will be part of the OPS plan.

Web500sjc

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 am

9L/27R and 9R/27L at DTW, only ever seen them used as taxiways, they are actually NOTAMed as needing n 45 min prior notice in order to use one or the other.

tapairbus370

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I guess you could count runway 01/19 at Groningen as a rare runway. As far as I know it's only used as a taxiway, never heard of an aircraft landing or taking off there. They all use the main runway 05/23. Still, technically 01/19 is a runway and can be used as such.

Another example that comes to my mind is runway 17/35 at Lisbon. Is it ever used as a runway? Or does all traffic always use 03/21?

The last time I saw a landing there, at Lisbon, it was more than 3 years now. Not saying that they never landed a plane there since, but the rumor is that is used for parking and that that will be the future of this runway.

uutdordt

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 am

tapairbus370 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Landed a few times on runway 01 in EHGG due to heavy crosswind and once for a straight-in approach from the south.
Since there are no precision and non-precision approaches available, the runway is only used for VFR traffic.
So sometimes you see general aviation landing there, but most of the time it's used as a taxiway.

Kilopond

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 am

Search the web for "Heathrow RWY 23/05". It is/was the most discussed "rare runway" of all times and places, including several threads here on airliners.net.

77H

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 am

In HNL landing on 26L and taking off on 26R are rare. That configuration is only used when the Kona winds are blowing (West, Southwest). Even rarer are takeoffs from the 22's. I've only seen 2 days in the last 3 years of working at HNL where all flights were departing from the 22's. One of my favorite experiences was working on the HNL South Ramp watching WB after WB thunder past. Then the F-22's lined up and the ground shook.

77H

RRTrent

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:53 am

fraspotter wrote:
Bambel wrote:
From what I see on Google Maps the opposite direction of that runway doesn't even have a number posted at the end

haha... never mind the number, I've just noticed that it hasn't even got piano keys.

On the topic of rare runways, I've had the pleasure of landing on 23 in LHR way back.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 am

06/24 at STL is rarely used for commercial ops. I've landed on 24 twice however, but have neither taken off nor landed on 06.

charles022

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 am

Back in 2013 I took off from 09L at LHR. Those familiar with the airport will note 09L is used only for landings, we got lucky in the fact there were runway works on 09R meaning only 09L was in use.

Malaysian28

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:29 am

Heathrow on Easterlies (09R/09L)

09R primarly departures with noise abatement procedures, with a few arrivals (mainly flights using Terminal 4)

09L Landings Only due to the Cranford Agreement, meaning that only arrivals can use this runway, as departing aircraft would cause noise disruption to this community, plus there is also restricted taxiways at this end of the runway. I believe the only time this runway is used for departures is when the airport suffers from chronic disruption and delays and/or when 09R is out for emergency maintence.

(The last time I saw a departure was from this runways was a Lufthansa A300 depart in heavy snow back in Feb 2009).

aussieben

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

07/25 at SYD is very rarely used as a runway these days. Maybe only a handful of times a year, on days where strong Easterly or Westerly winds exceed the crosswind limits. Most of the time they exclusively use the parallel 16/34 runways. 07/25 is actually more commonly used as a taxiway. However being there on high crosswind days when 07/25 is in use, is quite an experience: The nation's busiest airport down to single runway ops. I remember last June I was a passenger on a Saab 340. Quite a lengthy queue for a runway 25 departure. When our turn to take off came, we turned onto the runway as the landing lights of 2 or 3 aircraft lined up to land were getting closer. I imagine very close to minimum separation but very well managed. It did lead to 2 hour delays and several flight cancellations but nevertheless was impressive to watch.

c933103

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:48 am

The "second runway" for Kai Tak that only existed for a brief period of time durinng and after WWII?

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am

aussieben wrote:
07/25 at SYD is very rarely used as a runway these days. Maybe only a handful of times a year, on days where strong Easterly or Westerly winds exceed the crosswind limits. Most of the time they exclusively use the parallel 16/34 runways. 07/25 is actually more commonly used as a taxiway. However being there on high crosswind days when 07/25 is in use, is quite an experience: The nation's busiest airport down to single runway ops. I remember last June I was a passenger on a Saab 340. Quite a lengthy queue for a runway 25 departure. When our turn to take off came, we turned onto the runway as the landing lights of 2 or 3 aircraft lined up to land were getting closer. I imagine very close to minimum separation but very well managed. It did lead to 2 hour delays and several flight cancellations but nevertheless was impressive to watch.

7/25 isn't actually all that uncommon. Generally several times per month. It gets more interesting when you have widebody departures of 34L while using 25 for landings and narrow body departures.
I once saw them use 25 and 16R for simultaneous landings, that is interesting!

I was going to mention SYD as well but for a different configuration. Again this isn't all that uncommon, but 34L arrivals/16L departures is always fun to watch.

airkas1

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

The limitations are that it can only be used as a runway for non-jet aircraft and aircraft below 6T MTOW. For jet traffic and traffic above 6T MTOW, it is only used as a taxiway. Later this year the runway will become a taxiway for all traffic, but this is not the case yet. Our training/club traffic regularly makes use of the runway.

Brokkenpiloot

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:13 am

Virtual737 wrote:

How is that rare? It's being used almost every day.

Talking about AMS, few weeks ago I saw on FR24 that 18R and 36R where used simultaneously for landings. Never saw that before.

paullam

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:20 am

How about the 19's at SFO? I recall a day last year or two years ago where planes landed on RWY 19 L/R there. Must've been quite a spectacular approach considering the hills north of SFO.

xdlx

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 am

I still do not understand why in ATL they do not utilize 10/28 for Southbound departures. They use it mostly for Arrivals, it appears to me given the .10m taxi from the terminals and long taxi to it, it would be ideal to stage departures to FL and points in the SE. During a recent evening shower, we pushed from B and took number 25 for departure from 27R. Arrivals where holding and after taxing on L and M for a bit we requested a 28 departure from TWR. After some " negotiating" the controller finally saw the light... running out of room on L / M taxiways ( over 40 stacked ) and allowed us to do it.... took .12min to break out of the line, and .7min to taxi and takeoff. Had we stayed waiting for #25 it would have been at least .75m B4 departure.
Last edited by xdlx on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

aussieben

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
7/25 isn't actually all that uncommon. Generally several times per month.

That's interesting. I fly in and out of SYD about once a month. Apart from where 07/25 is used during crosswinds, I would say that I've never been on a flight in the last 5 - 10 years that has used that runway. I admit I'm not using SYD every day and I have seen some occasions where it is used in cross runway ops, but they seem to be very rare.

From when 16L/34R opened (I think in 1994) up until about 10-15 years ago, I actually flew to SYD far less frequently (maybe only a few times a year) and yet during that time I used 07/25 a lot more (I would say about half the flights I took used it, up until about 2004 or so) Since then none apart from 2 or 3 occasions during high crosswind.

But I'm not there every day - Maybe it's just the luck of the draw :)

33lspotter

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am

Malaysian28 wrote:

09R primarly departures with noise abatement procedures, with a few arrivals (mainly flights using Terminal 4)

09L Landings Only due to the Cranford Agreement, meaning that only arrivals can use this runway, as departing aircraft would cause noise disruption to this community, plus there is also restricted taxiways at this end of the runway. I believe the only time this runway is used for departures is when the airport suffers from chronic disruption and delays and/or when 09R is out for emergency maintence.

(The last time I saw a departure was from this runways was a Lufthansa A300 depart in heavy snow back in Feb 2009).

Isn't the Cranford agreement in the process of being phased out? I thought I read something about that a number of years back, but can't remember exactly what the deal was. IIRC the reason it hasn't been yet is due to taxiways so that would make sense given what you've written.

As for the former 05/23 at LHR, I still have to laugh when flying on FSX at night and seeing its approach and runway lights lit up.

Delta757MD88

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm

ltbewr wrote:
EWR's 11/29 runway was part of the original runway of the airport going back almost 90 years ago but for many years has been usually for smaller regional aircraft, rare for larger aircraft.

Actually 11/29 is used for heavies and everythng landing on days when the winds are strong to the east. Never seen anything take off of 11 or 29 though. 11 is used only for smaller jets, largest being the A320 or B739 on certain days, the approach flies right over my house.

rrlopes

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Delta757MD88 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Actually 11/29 is used for heavies and everythng landing on days when the winds are strong to the east. Never seen anything take off of 11 or 29 though. 11 is used only for smaller jets, largest being the A320 or B739 on certain days, the approach flies right over my house.

I've certainly landed there in a B737 and an ERJ.

Malaysian28

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:12 pm

33lspotter wrote:
Malaysian28 wrote:

Isn't the Cranford agreement in the process of being phased out? I thought I read something about that a number of years back, but can't remember exactly what the deal was. IIRC the reason it hasn't been yet is due to taxiways so that would make sense given what you've written.

As for the former 05/23 at LHR, I still have to laugh when flying on FSX at night and seeing its approach and runway lights lit up.

Yes, I believe so, it ended at the begining of this year, but the airport has not yet implemented it, mostly likely due to the taxiway infastructure.

Note the differences between the taxiways at 09L (Top) and 09R (Bottom).

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:19 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
06/24 at STL is rarely used for commercial ops. I've landed on 24 twice however, but have neither taken off nor landed on 06.

STL will give arriving pilots who request it 24 if the winds are right and things aren't busy. Back in the days of a dozen daily flights from ORD on S80s, I was on flights that used it a fair amount.

coronado

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Runway 4-22 (the 11000 foot cross runway) at MSP seems to hardly be used anymore since the 747-400 stopped serving the MSP-NRT route. That seemed to be about the only aircraft that ever used the cross runway. Statistically there are days on end where the percentage usage (measured in both departures and arrivals) both 4 and 22 are zero.

BENAir01

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:32 pm

I've once or twice seen a takeoff from JFK 31R/13L, I think it's very rare to use that runway for departures, so that counts.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Web500sjc wrote:
9L/27R and 9R/27L at DTW, only ever seen them used as taxiways, they are actually NOTAMed as needing n 45 min prior notice in order to use one or the other.

DTW's primary configuration is as follows:

70% Southerly flow - 22R & 21L for arrivals, 22L & 21R for departures; 22L may be used for arrivals when no departures in the late evening
25% Northerly Flow - 4L & 3R for arrivals, 4R & 3L for departures; 4R may be used for arrivals when no departures in the late evening
<5% Crosswind configuration - 27L & 27R used for arrivals, 22R used for departures

The 27's are only used in extreme crosswind situations, like when there is a strong front passing through with strong winds out of the west that exceed the crosswind limitations on the other runways. This configuration only gets used for a matter of hours until the strong winds subside. Part of the reason is that the 27s bisect 3 of the 4 parallel runways.

Occasionally there are some other configurations that may be used if a runway is closed for construction/repair work. If 21L/3R is closed for repair, they would sometimes use 9R for departures if the winds enable.

r2rho

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm

In HAM, rwy 33 is usually never used for landings due to noise restrictions, but has been for a few weeks the past summers during resurfacing works on 05/23. It provides for a beautiful and rare view of the city.

tjwgrr

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Web500sjc wrote:

DTW's primary configuration is as follows:

70% Southerly flow - 22R & 21L for arrivals, 22L & 21R for departures; 22L may be used for arrivals when no departures in the late evening
25% Northerly Flow - 4L & 3R for arrivals, 4R & 3L for departures; 4R may be used for arrivals when no departures in the late evening
<5% Crosswind configuration - 27L & 27R used for arrivals, 22R used for departures

The 27's are only used in extreme crosswind situations, like when there is a strong front passing through with strong winds out of the west that exceed the crosswind limitations on the other runways. This configuration only gets used for a matter of hours until the strong winds subside. Part of the reason is that the 27s bisect 3 of the 4 parallel runways.

Occasionally there are some other configurations that may be used if a runway is closed for construction/repair work. If 21L/3R is closed for repair, they would sometimes use 9R for departures if the winds enable.

I have landed on 27L at DTW when there was a very strong west wind. I have also taken off on 9 (now 9L, before there was a 9R) but that was probably 30 years ago.... :old:
Last edited by tjwgrr on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jshank83

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

STL will give arriving pilots who request it 24 if the winds are right and things aren't busy. Back in the days of a dozen daily flights from ORD on S80s, I was on flights that used it a fair amount.

There were a bunch landing on 24 about a week ago because there was a stationary storm just to the east of the airport, but I know that is odd besides for some military aircraft. I was driving by and it really caught me off guard. I haven't seen anyone land or take off on 6 either. I also never have seen anyone land on 29 (although I have seen a youtube video of it). But if you told me no one landed on 29 in the last ten years I would believe it.

tjwgrr

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Delta757MD88 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

I can't say I've ever seen a departure off 11 at EWR. I have seen an RJ depart from 29 though.

DaveFly

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:58 pm

33lspotter wrote:

I haven't seen many 29 arrivals or 11 departures at EWR, but apparently the LY 747 has been known to land on 29 from time to time, among others.

I was on one of those LY 747 29 landings which I posted on YouTube. The video quality is crappy because I just grabbed my iPhone when I saw the approach.

https://youtu.be/dZY-A0hExkc

33lspotter

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:19 pm

DaveFly wrote:
I was on one of those LY 747 29 landings which I posted on YouTube. The video quality is crappy because I just grabbed my iPhone when I saw the approach.

https://youtu.be/dZY-A0hExkc

Ha, I think this video is where my knowledge came from! Thanks.

I should amend my statement to say that I have never seen any takeoffs from 11 at EWR, but from what I've read some have said that it is possible. I see a few have said they've never seen 11 departures -- on the contrary, has anyone seen one?

Momo1435

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:32 pm

The rarest I've seen at AMS are landings on 09 a couple of years ago during a day with strong eastern winds. The 06 - 24 which is usually used on such days must have been closed for a reason I can't remember.