Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Lower Deck Lavatories / Aircraft type?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I know some airline have their lavatories on the lower deck, like LH on 340-600. Do you know if lower deck lavatories exist on other aircraft type such as :
A330 ?
B767 ?
B757 ?

Thanks,

Channex757

Re: Lower Deck Lavatories / Aircraft type?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:42 pm

A330 is an option too, Airtours (later MyTravel and now Thomas Cook) ordered theirs with them. Boeing do not offer it on the two you mentioned, or other models.

The lower deck lavs are useful for airlines which don't use the cargo capacity in the rear hold. It takes up positions that could otherwise be sold as freight. The payoff is extra room on the main deck for seating or galleys and the ability to fit more lavs than otherwise planned for.

bfitzflyer

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I fly LH from MUC to SFO on an A346 and it had the lavs on the lower deck. This was around 10 years ago, but thought it was odd.

gtargui

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
I fly LH from MUC to SFO on an A346 and it had the lavs on the lower deck. This was around 10 years ago, but thought it was odd.

I flew on a LH from MUC to PEK on an A346 last year and they still have it like that

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Flew LH MUC to ORD on I believe an A346 as well, and I thought it was pretty interesting...

BobMUC

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:

I think it's great from a passenger perspective. No lines of passengers in the galleys or aisles waiting for the restroom. Now flushing noise in the cabin. Even a good place to stretch a little bid downstairs.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Cool thanks. Sounds like only A340-600 had this option activated. Someone has any exemple of Airline operating A330s with lower deck lavatories?

ssteve

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:14 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Cool thanks. Sounds like only A340-600 had this option activated. Someone has any exemple of Airline operating A330s with lower deck lavatories?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/MyTravel ... 3/784979/L

MyTravel/AirTours based on some prior comments here: viewtopic.php?t=281277

TUGMASTER

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 pm

OY-VKF A330-243 Thomas Cook of Scandinavia has this option.... or at least it did when I flew on it a couple of years ago.!

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Didn't the IL-86 or IL-96 also have downstairs lavatories? I remember hearing something like that one time, but I'm not sure.

JannEejit

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:18 pm

ssteve wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/MyTravel ... 3/784979/L

MyTravel/AirTours based on some prior comments here: viewtopic.php?t=281277

I used them on an Airtours A330 flight in 2002, I believe it was a customer option on Airbus A330/340 types and the modular design could also be kitted out as a crew rest area or bar/shop.

longhauler

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:45 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Didn't the IL-86 or IL-96 also have downstairs lavatories? I remember hearing something like that one time, but I'm not sure.

The IL-86 had entry doors on the lower deck, with luggage racks where people placed baggage, then three sets of internal stairs up to the upper deck. In the layouts I see, there are no lavs on the lower deck, although I suppose they could have installed some. There were however 8 lavs on the main deck, 2 forward and 6 in the rear.

The IL-96 did not have this lower deck set up, with only main deck lavs installed.

However, many (many) years ago, I flew on a TU-114 from SVO to YUL. Mid ship there were stairs to a lower lever, where I understand there were crew rest facilities, a galley and lavs. I am not sure these were for passenger use, as I was not allowed to go down to the lower level.

AirlineCritic

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:11 pm

The lower deck lavs were also good because of queuing theory. If you concentrate all the service points in one place, waiting times will be shorter and their variation smaller.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Does the lower deck lavatories container is same size as a basic Crew Rest container such as this one below :
http://vrr-aviation.com/projects/airbus ... container/

Matt6461

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Does the lower deck lavatories container is same size as a basic Crew Rest container such as this one below :
http://vrr-aviation.com/projects/airbus ... container/

I would guess that lower deck lavs have to be installed by the OEM as a permanent fixture. The cargo compartment's height is only ~66in with the standard floor installed. The lav option probably uses a narrower, lower floor pan that allows for greater headroom. Not certain about that but seems necessary.

Does anyone know for sure?

lh346

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

@Matt6461,
I used to regularly fly Lufthansa's Airbus 346 service on the CLT-MUC leg. My last trip is a few years back now and I've never claimed to have the sharpest memory amongst my peers, but my in generally favorable impressions of the lower deck lavatory feature, headroom or the lack thereof has never been an issue. I stand a towering 5 feet and 3/4 inches tall (insert humor here) and not once did I singe my hair on the recessed lighting in the ceiling. In full disclosure, I've never extravagantly spiked my hair nor have I worn footwear with heels so my observations likely aren't the last, infallible word on the topic.
From memory, I can recall one limitation in that signs were posted downstairs advising of a maximum occupancy of passengers who are waiting in line that in the event of a cabin depressurization, only a limited amount of oxygens masks are installed. I do not recall how many exactly, but it didn't strike me an Achilles heel of the concept.
Other positives include that Lufthansa has a nice water dispenser installed in the lower 'lounge area' complete with drinking cups. I know I can always approach the cabin crew for a drink of water, but I chuckled at the irony of the 'hydrate/dehydrate' pit stop. Needless to say, I always drank more fluids on those journeys.
Also, the grandeur of walking up and down the staircase as a lowly coach passenger put a grin on my face. It had an air of A380 upper deck or 747 spiral staircase to it. Sure that's not anything quantifiable but it sure was cool.
In other posts, I've read that LH is parking most of its 346's which of course unfortunate but also something that was bound to happen sooner or later. What can I say, I'm glad that LH found a way to use those birds to make some money over the course of the years and I've enjoyed my trips on her thoroughly.