CrimsonNL
Topic Author

9W MTOW painted on fuselage

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:33 am

Hi guys,

The other day while driving around AMS I noticed a Jet Airways 77W which had two structural weight limits painted below the tail. The first was the "Maximum All Up Weight" which I assume is the MTOW, and the second was I think the basic weight of the aircraft.

Is this something that's mandated by the Indian aviation authorities? I really don't see why this is interesting to paint on the outside. For many years I made loadsheets but I never had to walk outside and inspect the fuselage to get the weights I need to know..

I found a picture of a 9W 330 which has it as well but it's unreadable, they are the two blue lines of text on the grey part, directly below the Indian flag.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

skyhawkmatthew

Re: 9W MTOW painted on fuselage

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:43 am

It may be that they have (as do many airlines) multiple weight variants of the same aircraft type, and this is a helpful reminder to ground crew as to which one they are dealing with. Same concept as a lot of carriers marking 'ETOPS' on capable aircraft.

Or, as you suggest, it could well be an Indian thing, maybe for some reason they treat airliners like trucks (which in Australia at least must have those figures marked)!
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

CosmicCruiser

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Obviously it's there for some reason but still seems strange when you consider the load is calculated by a dispatcher who is a long way from the plane. We had a couple of placards in the cockpit in some jets that had a variant MLW or something like that.

StereoTechque

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm

It is mandatory per Indian DGCA to paint Max All up Weight(MTOW) and Operating Empty Weight on the fuselage.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

CrimsonNL
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:13 pm

StereoTechque wrote:
It is mandatory per Indian DGCA to paint Max All up Weight(MTOW) and Operating Empty Weight on the fuselage.

Thanks for that! I wonder what the reasoning is. It's not like the pilot will walk aft and stick his head out the door to read the MTOW to compare it to the loadsheet he's received!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

N353SK

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 am

Wild guess .... it has something to do with landing fees?