Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IX6
Topic Author

Advice needed: changing career when I have no idea what I am doing

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 am

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this,

I am persistently lying to myself and have fallen to a trap in a career that will eat me alive. To my concern, I belong in the sky, and so I ask for guidance.

What I envision, feel, and see for myself is wearing gear, continue a study, passion to fix, and feel it fly. I will even be happy to share and teach others.

Would this role ideally be a mechanic?

This is coming from a kid that played flight sims after high school for numerous hours, graduate with a BS in Bus. Admin and a Concentration in MRKT with over 6 years of sales experience...

Any advice, take, or recommendation for a job that will expose me to the aviation industry and flexible to work around school if that is what is needed will be of great help. Even a contact in Los Angeles. I thought about taking an Intro Training Flight or a training program. I just don't want to spend all my savings in one basket.

Thank you.

Starlionblue

Re: Advice needed: changing career when I have no idea what I am doing

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:24 pm

As someone who changed careers well into what most would consider middle age, I would urge you to go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

If you are consistently passionate and hard working in the long run, you are very likely to do well in a field you like. There are no guarantees in life of course, but them's are the breaks.

By all means don't spend all your savings. There are many "small" ways to get into aviation. But they all start with a single step.

LH707330

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:51 am

PM me, I was in a similar situation.

IX6
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 pm

LH707330 wrote:

I tried but doesn't let me yet.

atcsundevil

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 pm

IX6 wrote:
LH707330 wrote:

I tried but doesn't let me yet.

You should be able to PM now. You just needed to clear the post approval process.

✈️ atcsundevil

flymia

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Do you want to fly? Are you supporting a family that you are afraid to spend savings?

If you want to fly, and have nothing holding you back go for it. Take out a loan if need be and go get your commercial certificate. First get your PPL and make sure you like, if so, go do it.

If you want to be a mechanic or something else around aviation there are tons of other opportunities out there. But it would be best (if you can) to just go 100% to it. Unless you have a family and need the job to keep income in. If not, and especially if you are debt free otherwise, just go after it.

IX6
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:46 am

Starlionblue wrote:
As someone who changed careers well into what most would consider middle age, I would urge you to go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

If you are consistently passionate and hard working in the long run, you are very likely to do well in a field you like. There are no guarantees in life of course, but them's are the breaks.

By all means don't spend all your savings. There are many "small" ways to get into aviation. But they all start with a single step.

Thank you

mxaxai

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am

I recently met someone who had studied architecture, only to move on to GM (automotive plant management) and eventually aircraft sales. So it is certainly possible. A career change is not easy though and working while studying leaves not much spare time. You say you have recent qualified work experience. Whatever it was you have been doing, that alone should help you get a job anywhere. I don't know about the demand for aircraft mechanics in LA but maybe there are offers in the airline's operation.
If you are over 30 I wouldn't recommend a pilot career unless you really want to fly. It just doesn't make financial sense, especially if you need/want to support a family.

IX6
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 pm

mxaxai wrote:
I recently met someone who had studied architecture, only to move on to GM (automotive plant management) and eventually aircraft sales. So it is certainly possible. A career change is not easy though and working while studying leaves not much spare time. You say you have recent qualified work experience. Whatever it was you have been doing, that alone should help you get a job anywhere. I don't know about the demand for aircraft mechanics in LA but maybe there are offers in the airline's operation.
If you are over 30 I wouldn't recommend a pilot career unless you really want to fly. It just doesn't make financial sense, especially if you need/want to support a family.

I am 29 ....

And yes I wish to use my experience as a way to get me in the door.

I don't have a family yet, and I don't have many bills. What I am looking for is an opportunity to work and fly anywhere.

I have family in so cal and north cal and wish to relocate up north but also be able to fly whenever.

mxaxai

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm

IX6 wrote:

I am 29 ....

I don't have a family yet, and I don't have many bills. What I am looking for is an opportunity to work and fly anywhere.

I have family in so cal and north cal and wish to relocate up north but also be able to fly whenever.

Well, I had no idea how old you were. Judging by your description you could easily have been a 35 year old father of three.
Since nothing seems to restrict your choices right now, why not go and get a pilot's license? The demand is there and the future looks good. Pilots won't be automated for the next 20 years at least. There's also lots of work in and around airports to help you finance it. You will see few old people at the airport (they tend to work in less public places) so there's always a job offer somewhere. Good luck!

IX6
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:19 pm

mxaxai wrote:
IX6 wrote:

I am 29 ....

Well, I had no idea how old you were. Judging by your description you could easily have been a 35 year old father of three.
Since nothing seems to restrict your choices right now, why not go and get a pilot's license? The demand is there and the future looks good. Pilots won't be automated for the next 20 years at least. There's also lots of work in and around airports to help you finance it. You will see few old people at the airport (they tend to work in less public places) so there's always a job offer somewhere. Good luck!

This was awesome thank you!