WPvsMW
Topic Author

Install CEO now, replace with NEO... ???

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 pm

A320s ordered with PW1000G engines are "piling up" in Toulouse, and idled on ramps around the globe. Why couldn't a carrier with a pending order change it to CEO, and then replace with NEO ... at ABus' expense? Are the pylon mounts, and the harnesses, connectors, racks, and displays for the IAE V2500 engine management systems remote from the engine, that different from those for the NEO? It seems ABus is in a pickle with no certainty as to timeframe for PW's fix of the PW1000G, and is about to be "LEAPED". ;) ;)

Is certification a possible issue.... e.g., winglets with CEO?

Joordyy023

Re: Install CEO now, replace with NEO... ???

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:20 pm

For sure it is possible, but at what cost?

Lots of information available on the pylon of the ceo, but i could't find much information on the pylon of the neo. Very interesting topic, i'm excited on the thoughts of a.net ers.

First post :D !

Bregards,

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:42 am

Hopefully DLmech or other AMT/A&P will be along something more than my speculation.

Woodreau

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:17 pm

CEOs are already certified for the sharklets and all new build CEOs have sharklets and not the winglets.

You cannot mount a IAE v2500 engine on a NEO engine pylon PW or CFM or otherwise.
The parked NEOs at Airbus just have to wait for the engines to be supplied.

As far a building a CEO for delivery and then swapping it out for a NEO aircraft later, I think all the available CEO delivery slots are allocated. There is no room to build a CEO for the customer and then exchange it for a NEO later.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

StereoTechque

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Perfectly explained by Mr. Woodreau. Also the Main axle diameter of the NEO is slightly different than the CEO in my company fleet.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks all... the NEO owners have no option but patience, and petitioning ABus/PW for redress. However, I suspect there's a lot of fuzzy language in the Purchase Agreements about time to cure defects.

Joordyy023

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 pm

It's a matter of fact, that an NEO engine (Leap/PW) can't be installed on an CEO pylon. But what's the difference between the NEO & CEO pylon?

For example the big difference between the CFM & IAE engine on the CEO pylon is the aft attachment rib from the pylon to engine.

What should be the expense to make a pylon, to configure a Leap or an PW on an CEO? Is there that much of a difference between the correlated systems, let's say: hydraulic, pneumatic system couplings. Any thoughts?

aeropix

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm

The plumbing and stress points on each engine option differ enough to make the concept of brand interchangeability unfeasible on jet airliners, for reasons of weight and cost. They tried to promote the concept on the B787 and withdrew the idea in the design phase due to it being uneconomical and costly in weight penalties of having a universal mount.