Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

japanair772
Topic Author

Year 10 work experience @Sydney Airport

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:17 am

Hi
This is my first forums post, and the reason I am posting this is because of the subject written above. I am in Year 7 (3 more long years) until work experince begins. I am wondering if anyone knows a position (eg. Qantas) what you would do and stuff. If anyone knows please reply to this forum.

LoganTheBogan

Re: Year 10 work experience @Sydney Airport

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 am

Well my son is about to finish year 10 (one more semester) and when he applied for work experience earlier this year at Qantas, Virgin Australia and Jetstar, they all declined. We were both expecting an answer like that. It was an understandable reason too, with many risks involved including exposure to heavy equipment and loud noises along with dealing with intense workloads and important tasks. They were all very nice about it though which was nice. Remember you will probably go through your careers adviser who will also determine if a job is suitable. Our recommendation is to start somewhere small. Not trying to ruin a dream or anything but you have to remember that your first job isn't going to be what you want to do.

77west

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 am

You may be better off approaching a smaller company like a fixed base operator or something similar. I managed to get work experience that even included being on test flights, but this was way back in the early 2000's in another country..

zeke

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:51 pm

I would think it would be next to impossible to get work experience at any security controlled airport in Australia because of the cost and time to get an ASIC card.

benjjk

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:46 am

It was 11 years ago now but I did my year 10 work experience with Qantas ground crew which was great. I got to help with pushbacks and disconnect the 'pin', reconfigure seats, take the tech log between the pilots and engineers, polish engines, and sit in the cockpit while the aircraft got parked for the night and engines tested. It was an awesome week and you should definitely pursue it.

I recall that Qantas wasn't on the list of companies that my school could approach. My uncle worked for Qantas so I had to go through him. If your school won't do it you should definitely approach them directly. Sadly times have changed and it will be very difficult to convince them to let you onto the ramp - but try.

dredgy

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 am

zeke wrote:
I would think it would be next to impossible to get work experience at any security controlled airport in Australia because of the cost and time to get an ASIC card.

If it's just for a week as is usual with work experience, it shouldn't be an issue. So long as you're with someone who does have an ASIC, they'll give you a temporary card. SYD might be fairly strict.

zeke

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:38 am

dredgy wrote:
If it's just for a week as is usual with work experience, it shouldn't be an issue. So long as you're with someone who does have an ASIC, they'll give you a temporary card. SYD might be fairly strict.

They would not be an employee or contractor.