fanoftristars
Topic Author

Airbus A330-200 Hot/High Performance SLC

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm on DL56 from SLC-AMS today with an onward connection. I received a call from Delta offering $500 voucher to go through MSP. The agent said it was due to booking levels and airplane performance. I'm wondering if this is code for the plane can't make it non-stop with a full load with today's temperature? The forecast is 99 degrees at 3pm at scheduled takeoff time. I asked if I could be put on the Paris flight (767-300ER) and she said that also is "performance limited" and they are making calls on that flight as well. I'm not surprised about the 767-300ER, but thought the main reason they switch to the Airbus on the AMS flight was because it was a much better performer at SLC's altitude and summer temps? Is this regular for the A330-200 on the SLC-AMS flights in the summer?
"FLY DELTA JETS"

lightsaber
Crew

Re: Airbus A330-200 Hot/High Performance SLC

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:33 am

The issue with the DL A332s is that the Pratt engines didn't meet promised thrust. They were supposed to be 75k (that is 75,000 lbf) thrust engines. Originally sold as 70k, I believe (but I don't know), they should be up-gradable to 72,000lbf (72k). Compare that to RR which maxes out at the same thrust, but has further thrust in reserve for hot/high conditions.

Sadly, there is a reason the Pratt engines stopped selling. They did well when 68k was the only option, but with the A332 and higher MTOW A333s, more thrust was demanded.
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

evanb

Re: Airbus A330-200 Hot/High Performance SLC

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:58 pm

4,200ft AMSL and 99 F will give most twins a problem.