Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jman
Topic Author

Buying Aircrafts

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:21 am

When an airline buys a new aircraft, i.e. at the Paris Air Show, how long do they wait from order day until delivery day?

Like do they deliver the first 10 aircraft to the first 10 customers (one aircraft per airline each), or would they do 10 for the first airline, 10 for the next airline and so on?

A380MSN004

Re: Buying Aircrafts

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Depends on different factors:
- waiting list on the production line of the manufacturer
- when the airline need the acfts as for exemple if the aircraft is a new type in the fleet of the airline, the airline need Type rate his pilots on it etc
- etc

lightsaber

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:42 pm

In general, one customer will demand preferential deliveries in return for their order. But this can backfire as if the delay is too long, it pushes customers to another airline . Usually vendors now demand 3+ years at the peak production So an airline needs first year ramp up production, 3 years at rate, and then a ramp down. It doesn't matter if it is engines, seats, galleys, or water closets. So this ends up spreading out each airline's order.

Usually, each customer will demand enough examples to justify crew training. So 3 to 5 examples to each airline is typical to start and then the distraction. Even with high production rates, it takes time to get to ten customers.

jman
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 pm

lightsaber wrote:
In general, one customer will demand preferential deliveries in return for their order. But this can backfire as if the delay is too long, it pushes customers to another airline . Usually vendors now demand 3+ years at the peak production So an airline needs first year ramp up production, 3 years at rate, and then a ramp down. It doesn't matter if it is engines, seats, galleys, or water closets. So this ends up spreading out each airline's order.

Usually, each customer will demand enough examples to justify crew training. So 3 to 5 examples to each airline is typical to start and then the distraction. Even with high production rates, it takes time to get to ten customers.

So for example, if i was to place an order for 30 of the A320ceo, there is currently a backlog of about 300. Will i get my 30 after the other 300 before me have all been delivered or will i be able to get them before all of the other 300 have been ordered?

And if i have an option for 20 more, can i add those to my 30 firm orders and get all 50 or will the extra 20 be added to the end of the list?

7BOEING7

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 pm

jman wrote:
When an airline buys a new aircraft, i.e. at the Paris Air Show, how long do they wait from order day until delivery day?

Like do they deliver the first 10 aircraft to the first 10 customers (one aircraft per airline each), or would they do 10 for the first airline, 10 for the next airline and so on?

Generally NO and NO. For example on the 757 EAL had #2 thru #8 and BAB had #9 thru #11 but the first 4-5 for EAL and the first 2 for BAB were in the test program and had to be refurnished prior to delivery. In the first year EAL and BAB took the majority of the airplanes (about 30) but many other airlines took the remaining 15 or so (#9, #11, #13, #15 etc deliveries). After that it was generally 1 or 2 at a time for any given airline, sometimes 3 but generally not more.The other thing to consider is the flight crew, taking 30 airplanes in a row at a rate of 5 or more a month might be an issue with training unless you already have that type in your fleet.