Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Joshs1000
Topic Author

Questions about ramp work.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Hey everybody, Im a new member and aviation enthusiast.

I've been thinking about getting a job at KCLT as a ramp worker or even just somebody who cleans up the aircraft...pretty much anything involving working with planes haha.

My big question for ramp work is their lots of procols that make it safe, as safe as it can be around aircraft. Im a little nervous about being around those engines haha.

FGITD

Re: Questions about ramp work.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Safety is the priority for the airlines. The last thing they need is a ramper getting hurt on one of their airplanes.

In the end safety comes down to the individual though. Plenty of people act dangerously out there, and sure enough they get injured.

I don't work as a ramper, but my role has me on the ramp and in aircraft every day. You learn quickly and follow the guidelines, and it's as safe as anywhere

nws2002

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm

You'll have both classroom/online training and OJT. They will discuss the hazards and how to stay safe. If you are interested I'm pretty sure Trego-Dugan is hiring for Allegiant at KJQF as well.

Joshs1000
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

Starlionblue

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:40 pm

People do worry about the engines but there are rigid procedures surrounding their operation. The risk of injury from a running engine is very small if you follow proper procedure. Be conservative and don't take chances.

For a pilot, the most dangerous part of the flight is the walkaround. But we tend to be looking at the plane and not at the myriad vehicles rushing about. :D

Dalmd88

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 am

I think the big worry on the ramp is getting run over by a bag tug. After that back and knee injuries from loading bags. Then there is the head cracking danger on all sorts of things, plus the many trip hazards. The ramp can be pretty dangerous without worrying about the airplane engines.

n757kw

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 am

The ramp can b a dangerous place. Most injuries I have heard about don't involve the aircraft per se. Recently, our ramp had a death by someone being hit by a tug. Someone was struck by lightning, someone fell off a k-loader,foot run over by a pallet, toe cut off by a dolly.

Me personally, I keep hitting my head on the ceiling and falling through the floor on the B747-8F lower deck.

My biggest fears driving on the ramp was judging distance and speeds of approaching aircraft. I also really enjoyed pulling chocks on the EMB-120 Brasilia and pulling power off the ATR-72.

Be aware of your surroundings and watch out for the other folks.

N757KW

oldannyboy

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm

It's mostly safe -and good fun!- provided you don't cut corners and follow guidelines and security protocols.
Go for it!

parmelbe

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 pm

The ramp is a great place to work! Like just about everyone said, the most prevalent injuries tend to be neck/back/shoulder from improper lifting and the most serious are from driving and vehicles. Training is excellent across the board and there is always redundancy in safety procedures. Just always keep your head on a swivel.

Best of luck!

Joshs1000
Topic Author

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks a million guys! Makes me feel better about it. As long as I pay attention I'll be fine. :D I love airplanes and being able to see them every day and work with them would be awesome. Too bad my favorite doesnt fly anymore, the 707. :(

Starlionblue

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 am

Joshs1000 wrote:
Thanks a million guys! Makes me feel better about it. As long as I pay attention I'll be fine. :D I love airplanes and being able to see them every day and work with them would be awesome. Too bad my favorite doesnt fly anymore, the 707. :(

Look on the bright side. That thing would give you hearing damage. :D

Joshs1000
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Joshs1000 wrote:

Look on the bright side. That thing would give you hearing damage. :D

Hmmm no hearing damage or working with iconic awesomeness....I'll take awesomeness and save up for hearing aids. xD

69bug

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 am

Most accidents involving personnel are due to the driver being unable to see the accident victim.

When walking around equipment, especially when towed equipment is involved, make sure the driver can see you and even then, always expect the vehicle to move at any time.

bug

FGITD

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 am

Another quick tip....don't skimp on steel or composite toe boots. The First time a bag, dolly, ladder, or pretty much anything lands on your foot, you'll be happy you have a decent pair.

And don't forget your high vis vest. Spend half my day yelling at rampers who aren't outfitted properly. You may be overly cautious 99% of the time, but that 1% when you aren't will drive the point home

Balerit

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
People do worry about the engines but there are rigid procedures surrounding their operation. The risk of injury from a running engine is very small if you follow proper procedure. Be conservative and don't take chances.

For a pilot, the most dangerous part of the flight is the walkaround. But we tend to be looking at the plane and not at the myriad vehicles rushing about. :D

Reminds me of the old B707 departures where we had to pull the drip sticks for fueling, when lo and behold a new cargo loader, not knowing the procedures, runs under the wing and snaps the i/b dip stick right off. We had to defuel and drag the plane to the hanger and my luck get selected to change it from inside the tank. Have suffered from claustrophobia ever since.

Joshs1000
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:21 am

Balerit wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Reminds me of the old B707 departures where we had to pull the drip sticks for fueling, when lo and behold a new cargo loader, not knowing the procedures, runs under the wing and snaps the i/b dip stick right off. We had to defuel and drag the plane to the hanger and my luck get selected to change it from inside the tank. Have suffered from claustrophobia ever since.

Yeah I would have to say fire me because Im already claustrophobic lol. What are the various jobs on the ramp, besides loading bags of course lol

Balerit

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am

Not sure of the modern era, I retired years ago but there is the toilet cleaning guy (we called him the Honeysucker driver), potable water replenishment, tug driver, the dispatcher or as we called them , the Orange cap (he would be the guy in charge of loading the aircraft and be responsible for the correct centre of gravity, aircraft cabin cleaning, catering. Usually none of these people are near the aircraft when it is time to start the engines, so in a sense it is completely safe for these personnel.

BN727flyr

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm

When I did catering, we had all kinds of rules for proper servicing of the aircraft, the safe ways to position the truck, etc., etc. Most rules are common sense but you also learn to develop a sense of situational awareness. You learn to see the other vehicles and personnel, and you may learn to visualize in your head how they will move, or the types of actions they will take.

Back in the 727-200 days, we carried an engine plug in the truck to insert into the intake of the port side engine when it was at idle, so we could service the galley. This minimized the risk of FOD entering the engine. You take precautions so you won't have accidents or problems!!

Adispatcher

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Keeping your head on a swivel is very important. Don't assume anyone will stop or get out of your way, especially when near vehicles of questionable mechanical upkeep (tugs and beltloaders come to mind).

Also, don't work too fast. I may seem like you need to in order to get the task done faster, but it can lead to personal injury due to improper lifting or moving technique and increases the risk of a vehicle accident. Do everything at a safe speed.

And wear hearing protection of some sort. Being the cool guy without earplugs isn't worth it.