Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Apprentice
Topic Author

GMM and Part 121

Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 am

Hi, Good Evening:

Does any body help me with FAA's Regulation which establish G.M.M for a Part 121 airliner and whereas it's a mandatory document one approved?

Appreciate/ Slds

Apprentice
Topic Author

Re: GMM and Part 121

Mon May 22, 2017 4:22 am

History started when certain complaint was opened on LOg Book. GMM specify that in that case, a specific AMM Test needs to be performed, for troubleshooting/ closing complaint.
I supposed it was the Law, but nobody felt oblied to do test specified on GMM.
Other tests were performed, "no fault found", item was closed and, "Here Peace and on Heaven Glory"

Slds

fr8mech

Mon May 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Does any body help me with FAA's Regulation which establish G.M.M for a Part 121 airliner and whereas it's a mandatory document one approved?

Part 121.133 establishes the requirement.
Part 121.135 establishes the minimum contents.

Now, looking at the requirements, I know our GMM doesn't have a whole lot of the flight operations stuff in it. That stuff is fond in different manuals. So, I will make an assumption, that a carrier, with the permission of the administrator can break up the 121.135 into different manuals.

Reading the requirements further; 121.133 may be establishing the requirement for an OpsSpec manual, though I;m not sure our OpsSpec has a whole lot of the maintenance stuff in it.

Like I wrote, it could be that it is all broken up into different manuals.

I'm on an extended leave right now, so I don't have access to our book, which, somewhere in the first chapter, spells out where it derives its authority. Maybe you should read yours.

Apprentice
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Fr8mech, good afternoon.
Thanks, I will check it tomorrow (I'm at home now) and try to figure how it apply to "my" VOR's complaint.
Enjoy your leave.
Brgds/ Apprentice.

7673mech

Mon May 22, 2017 5:12 pm

The GMM is the document whereby an operator tells the administrator how they will conduct business. If it is in there it needs to be followed. If you feel it is not valid, you can get with your QA chief to get it removed.
I have gotten non-compliance notes from the administrator for not following GMM even when AMM was different.

Apprentice
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 6:02 pm

7673Mech:
Many Thanks! For clarification. That is and was what I thought, but every one told me : "No, GMM will not prevail over AMM..."
and in my understanding, it was not a GMM vs AMM, just mech used a simpler AMM's operational test to close a VOR/ILS's complaint instead of the one asked by GMM, also w/ AMM ref but much more complete.

Again, Thanks both of You
Apprentice

fr8mech

Wed May 24, 2017 12:17 pm

7673mech wrote:
I have gotten non-compliance notes from the administrator for not following GMM even when AMM was different.

DISCLAIMER: This is probably operator specific. The proper hierarchy should be found in your GMM.

If there are limits or specific maintenance procedures in the GMM, those supersede the AMM, since they tend to be more restrictive. Off-hand, the only instances I can think of in our book are brake and tire limits. The GMM limits are way more restrictive than the AMM limits. We use the GMM limits. Incidentally, our GMM also allows deviation to the AMM limit if there isn't sufficient time, manpower or parts to replace the wheel and/or brake.

Apprentice wrote:
operational test to close a VOR/ILS's

This is a bit different here. CAT items are not addressed in our GMM, except to acknowledge that we have a CAT program. We have a CAT Manual that tells us how to address CAT items. Near as I can recall, our CAT manual always defers to the AMM for ops checks. The only items in the CAT manual that address what corrective action(s) to perform is when we are upgrading an aircraft back to CAT status, or when we have repeating items. The CAT manual states that any action taken will go beyond the previous action. For instance, Pirep: Capt's RA flag in view, CA: Reset C/B. The next write-up (within 2 legs, I think) requires additional action beyond resetting the C/B.

7673mech

Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 pm

fr8mech wrote:
7673mech wrote:

DISCLAIMER: This is probably operator specific. The proper hierarchy should be found in your GMM.

If there are limits or specific maintenance procedures in the GMM, those supersede the AMM, since they tend to be more restrictive. Off-hand, the only instances I can think of in our book are brake and tire limits. The GMM limits are way more restrictive than the AMM limits. We use the GMM limits. Incidentally, our GMM also allows deviation to the AMM limit if there isn't sufficient time, manpower or parts to replace the wheel and/or brake.

Apprentice wrote:
operational test to close a VOR/ILS's

This is a bit different here. CAT items are not addressed in our GMM, except to acknowledge that we have a CAT program. We have a CAT Manual that tells us how to address CAT items. Near as I can recall, our CAT manual always defers to the AMM for ops checks. The only items in the CAT manual that address what corrective action(s) to perform is when we are upgrading an aircraft back to CAT status, or when we have repeating items. The CAT manual states that any action taken will go beyond the previous action. For instance, Pirep: Capt's RA flag in view, CA: Reset C/B. The next write-up (within 2 legs, I think) requires additional action beyond resetting the C/B.

Agreed.
GMM's come in all shapes, sizes and details.

Apprentice
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi: Many Thanks. You clarified my positions!
Now, next question:
"... GMM limit supersede AMM". This was one of the arguments used, the other way around: "AMM supersede GMM", is there any Regulation about?
Thanks/ Rgds

fr8mech

Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Apprentice wrote:
"... GMM limit supersede AMM". This was one of the arguments used, the other way around: "AMM supersede GMM", is there any Regulation about?
Thanks/ Rgds

Your GMM will describe the applicable manuals and their hierarchy.