Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vatveng
Topic Author

What happens w/ parallel runways during an aborted landing?

Fri May 19, 2017 1:51 am

The recent talk of the 6th runway in Atlanta got me thinking about parallel ops and what happens during aborted landings.

For example, in ATL on the 26s, 26R is used for landings and 26L for takeoffs.

So what happens when a plane landing on 26R has to abort the landing after they've passed the piano keys, with a plane taking off on 26L at the same time? Because now you've got two planes climbing at the far end of parallel runways with less than a thousand feet of separation. I imagine that if the plane on 26L is early in its takeoff roll, it can pretty easily abort but if it's at rotation, then what?

RetiredWeasel

Re: What happens w/ parallel runways during an aborted landing?

Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 am

I'm sure the tower controllers have a contingency procedure for this rare occurrence and hopefully it's in the back of their mind. They may have even trained for it. I'm not a controller, but would speculate that upon recognizing the aborted landing on 26R, he would immediately give that aircraft a turn to say 280 when able to gain some separation. Since that aircraft is already at flying airspeed and landing weight, then he most likely would climb faster that the aircraft taking off on 26L (who would maintain RW heading) and get vertical separation also.

I doubt he would tell the the aircraft taking off to reject his takeoff unless it was to prevent some kind of imminent collision. He would have no idea if the aircraft had reached V1 and possibly cause an accident out of nothing.

B2468

Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 am

I'm not a pilot or controller, but I did experience an aborted landing at JFK runway 13L, and then later checked out the LiveATC recording from that time. Takeoffs on 13R were temporarily suspended until our aircraft was sufficiently away from the airport.

benbeny

Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Doesn't the chart carry different turning procedures for different runways? I'm not a pilot or controller but I think what they need to do is only to follow published missed approach procedure or SID for the aircraft taking off.

DsrtFlyer

Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 pm

To operate segregated parallel approaches/departures, the departure track has to be at least 30* of separation from the missed approach track.

All approach plates have instructions for going missed and depending on the departures it varies, but looking up Atlanta's...

SMKEY 2
RWY 26R

26R missed will climb to 1400 then go right to R005*/TROYS for the holding pattern climbing to 3500
26L will climb heading 275* to intercept 300* following the SIDs for SMKEY 2 in this example

So 26L is climbing straight out and 26R is climbing straight out and turning right, likely though that controllers would call for an expedite on the right turn to increase separation as soon as possible.

MO11

Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

vatveng wrote:
The recent talk of the 6th runway in Atlanta got me thinking about parallel ops and what happens during aborted landings.

For example, in ATL on the 26s, 26R is used for landings and 26L for takeoffs.

So what happens when a plane landing on 26R has to abort the landing after they've passed the piano keys, with a plane taking off on 26L at the same time? Because now you've got two planes climbing at the far end of parallel runways with less than a thousand feet of separation. I imagine that if the plane on 26L is early in its takeoff roll, it can pretty easily abort but if it's at rotation, then what?

Visual separation until the go-around diverges from the departure. You still have to separate the departure from the 27R departure (being worked by the other controller).

RetiredWeasel

Fri May 19, 2017 8:01 pm

While missed approach procedures may provide guidance on what you may be doing, an aborted landing for things like wake turbulence, wind shear, or the proverbial truck on the runway is not necessarily a 'missed approach'. You could have been shooting a visual. I doubt simultaneous takeoffs and landings would even be allowed on these two runways during periods of low visibility where missed missed approaches are a possibility. Follow the controllers instructions.

MO11

Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
I doubt simultaneous takeoffs and landings would even be allowed on these two runways during periods of low visibility where missed missed approaches are a possibility. Follow the controllers instructions.

Yup. If you can't provide visual separation between the arrival and departure, then radar separation must be applied.

GoSteelers

Sat May 20, 2017 12:25 pm

The published missed at 99 percent of places is not used. There is no missed approach procedure on a visual approach. Basically that's only there in the event of an airplane on an actual instrument approach that goes missed and goes nordo; loses radio communications.

A tower controller will never cancel a takeoff clearance to a rolling departure because an aircraft on a parallel runway goes around. In ATL, the controller with issue a right turn to a northbound heading from 26R. If it's a go around on 8L it would be a left turn to the north. And vice versa for 9/27. If they are landing triple arrivals, the procedures are a bit more complex to protect for a go around on 9/27 and 10/28 at the exact same time. Everything is build for protection and safety.

GoSteelers

Sat May 20, 2017 12:26 pm

And yes, there is a prescribed rule for IFR seperation during times when visual separation is not available. It's called two increasing to three.

RetiredWeasel

Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 pm

GoSteelers wrote:
The published missed at 99 percent of places is not used. There is no missed approach procedure on a visual approach. Basically that's only there in the event of an airplane on an actual instrument approach that goes missed and goes nordo; loses radio communications.

I wouldn't go so far to say 99%. At non-US airports on the very few times we went missed approach during my 20 year tenure, the controllers often said fly published missed approach procedures. On today's modern aircraft, it's programmed into the FMS so it's not that big a deal. In the old days, PNF had his head down reading the approach plate ensuring the PF stuck to the headings and altitudes. Not fun, since the fuel remaining pucker factor kept the anxiety level higher. But that's what we got paid for.