mattyfitzg
Topic Author

What happens to a flight if the airline goes bust in mid air?

Tue May 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Hey guys,
I've asked this question before and I didn't really get an answer to the question and got stuff completely irrelevant and off topic, I guess because it wasn't clear enough and people didn't quite understand it.

But my question is, what would happen to a flight, if said flights company was to go bust/liquidate in mid air.
Now, i'm not talking a case of an airline like United filing for bankruptcy in mid air, im talking about the airline fully going bust, for example, flights belonging to the airlines Excel, Zoom and Globespan were all in mid-air when the airlines went bust. What would happen in that situation?

Thanks!

DsrtFlyer

Re: What happens to a flight if the airline goes bust in mid air?

Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 pm

The plane would land at it's final destination, passengers would deplane, the plane unloaded, the crew would leave and the plane/equipment would transfer to the new owner or the bank.

What did you think would happen? Land at the nearest airport and kick everyone off?

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm

It's really as simple as that? I thought seeing as the airline would no longer actually exist anymore it might have been more complicated :?

I didn't know what would happen, hence the question.

Silly question then I guess! :lol:

kalvado

Tue May 16, 2017 7:43 pm

I expect that upon filing the paperwork, airplane would sense there in no longer any legal basis for the flight - so engines would stop turning, electronics (radio, navigation) would power down, and wings would no longer produce lift...

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Ah okay, just as I suspected.
I found a picture of what happened to the Excel flight when they went bust in mid air.

hivue

Tue May 16, 2017 10:13 pm

I actually flew Braniff KDFW - KHRL on the day it ceased operations. Watched the 727 from my rental car departing back to DFW. I don't know whether it had passengers, but when it got on the ground at DFW it stayed there. I didn't know anything about all of this until that night when I was trying to rebook on Texas International due to a change in my work schedule and I couldn't get through on the phone. Finally I did get a recorded message: "Due to Braniff International shutting down we are experiencing high call volume..." Sad day.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

akiss20

Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Horrible, horrible tragedies have ensued in the past when this happened

http://www.theonion.com/article/133-dead-as-delta-cancels-flight-in-midair-1837

:D
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

conaly

Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 am

While where at it: what would happen if a pilot in command would quit his job midair?

bhill

Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 am

conaly wrote:
While where at it: what would happen if a pilot in command would quit his job midair?

......the "DB Cooper" exit.....
Carpe Pices

DsrtFlyer

Wed May 17, 2017 3:13 pm

conaly wrote:

The First Officer flies the plane...

Pilots don't want to crash anymore than you do, the plane WILL continue to it's destination.

dc9northwest

Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 pm

But what if both pilot and co-pilot quit in mid-air?

Leej

Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Then it would be a firey 6 mile plunge to the death......

jetblueguy22

Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

dc9northwest wrote:
But what if both pilot and co-pilot quit in mid-air?

They fulfill every private pilot's dream by asking for a replacement pilot....duh
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

flyingturtle

Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 am

Ground handling (refuelling, baggage loading/unloading, gate services...) are the bigger problem. When the companies at the destination airport hear of a bankruptcy, they could refuse to do anything until the air crew pays in cash or with their private credit cards...

I have read such a story involving a Braniff flight. The entire crew paid for fuel and handling, and the plane was good to go.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

N353SK

Thu May 18, 2017 9:17 pm

This basically happened to the Canadian airline JetsGo in 2005. If I recall airplanes, passengers, and crew were basically just stranded all over Canada because they shut down overnight with no notice.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jetsgo-sh ... s-1.558749

vatveng

Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 am

Didn't Eastern at least finish out the day? They announced the shutdown but all/most flights operated that day?

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 am

Here's an account by Captain Mark Pyle who flew the last Pan Am flight in 1991. He landed in Barbados after they've shut down but was still able to make the return flight.

http://www.pbase.com/image/106823517
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Max Q

Fri May 19, 2017 3:59 am

Well when Braniff folded their daily 747 non stop DFW-HNL was over Los Angeles when center called them to tell them
they had just heard their company had shut down and what were their intentions.

The response was 'we've got a full load of vacationers on board who paid good money to go to Honolulu so that's where we're going'

Good response, no point in stopping at that point is there ?

The empty, ferry flight a few days later had just the cockpit, cabin crew and a few HNL employees, Braniif's last flight and it was
a very muted, melancholy affair.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

benbeny

Fri May 19, 2017 2:37 pm

viewtopic.php?t=48393
From a locked thread, went braniff went bust.

KanaHawaii

Fri May 19, 2017 11:45 pm

These days the airlines typically try to plan out the last day ops so that, at the end of the day, the airline is shut down with all planes on the ground. This was the case with Aloha. Not sure if ATA had something in the air when they went out of business just days later.

gunnerman

Thu May 25, 2017 12:33 am

The problem isn't so much about plane in the air, it's what happens next on the ground. A big loser, of course, are the employees who no longer have a job. Then there are passengers. The ones due to leave the airline's base will need to rebook or get a refund, but the bigger problem is what to do with those who may be stranded abroad. The ones abroad need to get onto alternative flights, which may be done by themselves, their travel agent or tour operator. Where a big group fails, such as XL (which included XL Airways), holidays and flights are protected if bought through the group's ATOL holder as the UK CAA will call in the ATOL bond and arrange for charter flights to bring people home.

kabq737

Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
These days the airlines typically try to plan out the last day ops so that, at the end of the day, the airline is shut down with all planes on the ground. This was the case with Aloha. Not sure if ATA had something in the air when they went out of business just days later.

I believe that ATA had a 757 flying HNL-PHX in the air when they went out of business. I am not positive on that though...
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM