solomanflyer
Topic Author

Emirates willing to pay approx $16,013 for A380 Captains

Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am

Great!! Emirates has revealed the salaries of A380 and B777 Captains.. apart to the salaries those captains are given 42 day annual leave, global primary and secondary education allowance, life and accident insurance, medical and dental coverage and loss of license insurance.

Is this the only airline paying this amount or any other airlines paying higher than this? as per my knowledge some chinese airlines paying the highest salary among all airlines it seems. Source https://www.eminentaviation.com/emirate ... -revealed/

Better clarify before spreading..

Virtual737

Re: Emirates willing to pay approx $16,013 for A380 Captains

Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 am

You sure you're not missing a figure or 2?

Edit - OK the figure is monthly, as pointed out in the article, but not in your headline.

B777LRF

Tue May 16, 2017 8:43 am

The 42 days is only for UAE nationals, not for expats. An EK pilot will nominally receive 30 days, but it's very common to have some of those days pushed to the following year, ad nausem. You'll only get those days in batches of around 7 days as well.

As for the schooling, it's not 'global' - you spend it in the UAE or you lose it.

Finally, the salary is not USD 16K a month. That's the total package, including housing, schooling, basic and productivity pay. And for a wide-body skipper that's woefully inadequate, taking into account you'll be living in a sodding desert, flying 100 hours a month.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

BravoOne

Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 am

There are dozens of posts on other forums regarding EK employment schemes along sub posts on how to quit and get out of the country. Not a very nice place to work long term if you're an expat from another western country.

speedbored

Tue May 16, 2017 9:12 am

B777LRF wrote:
The 42 days is only for UAE nationals
As for the schooling, it's not 'global' - you spend it in the UAE or you lose it.
flying 100 hours a month.

Not according to EK - they are clear about which benefits are Dubai only:
http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/sys ... yout-9.pdf

B777LRF wrote:
Finally, the salary is not USD 16K a month. That's the total package, including housing, schooling, basic and productivity pay.

No it isn't - the 16K a month is basic salary plus flying & productivity allowances plus housing. Schooling and everything else is extra.

B777LRF wrote:
And for a wide-body skipper that's woefully inadequate

Yet it is significantly more than many (most?) other major airlines, even before you take into account that it is also tax free.

Passedv1

Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 am

What are you guys talking about...all the US majors pay more than $20,000/month. $16,000/month is narrowbody captain pay. 40 days annual leave is pretty typical for someone with the seniority to hold 777 Captain at a US major.

RyanairGuru

Tue May 16, 2017 9:39 am

Passedv1 wrote:
What are you guys talking about...all the US majors pay more than $20,000/month. $16,000/month is narrowbody captain pay. 40 days annual leave is pretty typical for someone with the seniority to hold 777 Captain at a US major.

Of which you lose almost 50% in federal and state income tax. Unless you are a US citizen (the IRS has very odd extra-territorial application) you get to keep every cent earned in Dubai.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

dtw2hyd

Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 am

In case any one haven't opened the link,

This includes $11,633 a month basic salary plus average flying pay, and $4,380 a month housing allowance, or company provided housing.

Most of it will stay in Dubai thru various schemes,fees and surcharges. No Taxes though.

emiratesdriver

Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm

I guess speedbored because it's printed on a website it must be true? Can you show me some "verifiable" facts backing up your assertions?
All I can see on the website is a bit of clever marketing and the words tax free, no mention of fees, surcharges, deductions or compulsory contributions, let alone VAT.
This is the continuing attempt by EK to attract pilots to fly their aeroplanes without being honest of what's offered v what's delivered.
Fact 1. 42 days leave in a year is now the exception, not the rule and good luck getting leave in any particular quantity or over a period that is useful. EK can and do arbitrarily reduce your allowance to 30 days and if you are lucky they will allocate you 3 days leave, then a flight, then another 3 days leave. They also roster you to finish at 11.30pm before your leave starts, and often 2-4am the day after your leave ends, many times it's a ULR that requires you to have 3 local nights rest in DXB before that trip. Hence pilots are leaving at a rate of 1 per day at the moment, most of them lately have been very experienced Captains and trainers.
Pilots have been squeezed about as much as they can be...it's now a case of voting with your feet.
Fact 2. EK does pay school fees, however as there are no true Public schools teaching to first world standards..this is a requirement and not a perk.
Fact 3. There is no open safety culture in the airline or Flt Ops, all that is done is effectively lip service as the commercial arm of the operation rules the roost. The latest example of this is alpha-numeric call signs, these are used to differentiate similar sounding call signs. At EK there are daily instances where aircraft accept clearances in flight erroneously for other EK flights..e.g. EK 22 EK 222 EK 12 EK 212, a simple change to the transponder output can resolve this but there is continued resistance from the all powerful commercial dept who veto this on the basis that passengers may get confused while accessing the ICE inflight entertainment system.
It's a wonderful place to work.

speedbored wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
The 42 days is only for UAE nationals
flying 100 hours a month.

Not according to EK - they are clear about which benefits are Dubai only:
http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/sys ... yout-9.pdf

B777LRF wrote:
Finally, the salary is not USD 16K a month. That's the total package, including housing, schooling, basic and productivity pay.

No it isn't - the 16K a month is basic salary plus flying & productivity allowances plus housing. Schooling and everything else is extra.

B777LRF wrote:
And for a wide-body skipper that's woefully inadequate

Yet it is significantly more than many (most?) other major airlines, even before you take into account that it is also tax free.

speedbored

Tue May 16, 2017 1:40 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
I guess speedbored because it's printed on a website it must be true? Can you show me some "verifiable" facts backing up your assertions?

The posted document is the verification, not the assertion. It was the OPs linked story that made the claim. But, given the total absence of evidence you have provided so far against any of your assertions, I do not expect you to understand this.

emiratesdriver wrote:
Fact 1. 42 days leave in a year is now the exception ...
Fact 2. EK does pay school fees ...
Fact 3. There is no open safety culture in the airline or Flt Ops ...

And your evidence for these (which are your assertions) is where?

emiratesdriver wrote:
Hence pilots are leaving at a rate of 1 per day at the moment

Even if this claim is true, and we await the evidence, from a pilot pool of well over 4000, that equates to pilots staying with EK for an average of over 11 years.

That is well within the norms for an organisation the size of EK, is a lot better than many airlines manage to achieve, and is actually quite an achievement given the high proportion of expatriates that EK employs. It is certainly not a staff turnover rate that, to any reasonable observer, ought to suggest that there are any serious labour relation problems at EK.

emiratesdriver

Tue May 16, 2017 2:31 pm

speedbored wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

The posted document is the verification, not the assertion. It was the OPs linked story that made the claim. But, given the total absence of evidence you have provided so far against any of your assertions, I do not expect you to understand this.

emiratesdriver wrote:
Fact 1. 42 days leave in a year is now the exception ...
Fact 2. EK does pay school fees ...
Fact 3. There is no open safety culture in the airline or Flt Ops ...

And your evidence for these (which are your assertions) is where?

emiratesdriver wrote:
Hence pilots are leaving at a rate of 1 per day at the moment

Even if this claim is true, and we await the evidence, from a pilot pool of well over 4000, that equates to pilots staying with EK for an average of over 11 years.

That is well within the norms for an organisation the size of EK, is a lot better than many airlines manage to achieve, and is actually quite an achievement given the high proportion of expatriates that EK employs. It is certainly not a staff turnover rate that, to any reasonable observer, ought to suggest that there are any serious labour relation problems at EK.

Haha, I work there.

As regards recruitment and retention, the average on property time is as of 25 seconds ago actually 7.32 years (it's a published figure) because recruitment isn't linear much like retention, but if you knew about how EK actually worked you'd also see a clear correlation between when 100% of your provident fund is available and people leaving, but you don't so your assumptions are drivel.
As for the rest, well let's just say that in the pilot fraternity and the demographic that EK are trying to recruit from the word is out about reality v perception, when asked my response is the same "the money doesn't make up for it"...it seems to be working as most of the new joiners I've flown with lately are unlikely to have any significant jet time nor any real transoceanic or MNPS experience.

zeke

Tue May 16, 2017 6:54 pm

speedbored wrote:

I think it depends on the month, the month that the annual bonus is paid I heard 160 pilots left in one month last year. They are having a retention and recruitment issues, this is evident by their reduce'd requirements to join the airline. Previously you needed a couple of thousand hours of jet airliner experience to start, now they take turboprop pilots.

The pay is not that great, like it's been posted a number of times above, EK pay with one hand, and the UAE takes with the other. While there is no direct income tax, the cost of things like utilities have exploded over the past 15 years.

It is never a good idea to look at the headline monthly salary, you need to see what is left over after the cost of living to make the purchasing power parity comparison between packages.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

seabosdca

Tue May 16, 2017 7:36 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Of which you lose almost 50% in federal and state income tax. Unless you are a US citizen (the IRS has very odd extra-territorial application) you get to keep every cent earned in Dubai.

If you are making an airline Captain salary and losing 50% of it in income tax, you need to hire a new accountant. The most tax-expensive jurisdiction in the country is New York City. You might have a 50% effective marginal rate if you live there, but you won't pay 50% in tax.

I live in a lower-tax jurisdiction. My salary is comparable to that of a narrowbody Captain, and my effective tax rate last year was 24%.

Planesmart

Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
All I can see on the website is a bit of clever marketing and the words tax free, no mention of fees, surcharges, deductions or compulsory contributions, let alone VAT.
This is the continuing attempt by EK to attract pilots to fly their aeroplanes without being honest of what's offered v what's delivered.
Fact 1. 42 days leave in a year is now the exception, not the rule and good luck getting leave in any particular quantity or over a period that is useful. EK can and do arbitrarily reduce your allowance to 30 days and if you are lucky they will allocate you 3 days leave, then a flight, then another 3 days leave. They also roster you to finish at 11.30pm before your leave starts, and often 2-4am the day after your leave ends, many times it's a ULR that requires you to have 3 local nights rest in DXB before that trip. Hence pilots are leaving at a rate of 1 per day at the moment, most of them lately have been very experienced Captains and trainers.
Pilots have been squeezed about as much as they can be...it's now a case of voting with your feet.
Fact 2. EK does pay school fees, however as there are no true Public schools teaching to first world standards..this is a requirement and not a perk.
Fact 3. There is no open safety culture in the airline or Flt Ops, all that is done is effectively lip service as the commercial arm of the operation rules the roost. The latest example of this is alpha-numeric call signs, these are used to differentiate similar sounding call signs. At EK there are daily instances where aircraft accept clearances in flight erroneously for other EK flights..e.g. EK 22 EK 222 EK 12 EK 212, a simple change to the transponder output can resolve this but there is continued resistance from the all powerful commercial dept who veto this on the basis that passengers may get confused while accessing the ICE inflight entertainment system.

And yet you are supposedly still working there as a pilot.

Max Q

Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 am

I knew Emirates pay was not that great but i'm surprised it's that low, a senior widebody captain at one of the big three US majors can easily
make over 30k a month.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

emiratesdriver

Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 am

Planesmart wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

And yet you are supposedly still working there as a pilot.

Quite simple planesmart, I've been here for a long time, I've not got a huge need to go anywhere else, and the money I make compares very favourably to just about anywhere else

BravoOne

Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Max Q wrote:
I knew Emirates pay was not that great but i'm surprised it's that low, a senior widebody captain at one of the big three US majors can easily
make over 30k a month.

Not saying that 30K can't be done but "easily" might not be the best way to describe it. Manipulating your line of time, picking up a green slip (DL), or two, and selling back half of your vacation maybe?