Bdlgr
Topic Author
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Checkride failures

Mon May 15, 2017 10:07 pm

So I just busted my Instrument checkride and it got me thinking how many checkrides can you fail and still get a job in aviation? This is my first one yet and I made a dumb mistake that's easily fixable but it's got me worried. Has anyone here ever failed a checkride? How did you respond? Thanks
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: Checkride failures

Mon May 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Bdlgr wrote:
So I just busted my Instrument checkride and it got me thinking how many checkrides can you fail and still get a job in aviation? This is my first one yet and I made a dumb mistake that's easily fixable but it's got me worried. Has anyone here ever failed a checkride? How did you respond? Thanks


A failed check ride is not a death blow. Just own it, don't make excuses and be honest with the interviewer and more importantly yourself. As long as you don't make a habit of failing the airlines won't hold it against you.

Learn from it pick your head up and move on.
 
molitvic20
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Checkride failures

Mon May 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I failed my Instrument check ride back in the day, and my current job didnt even asked about it when I put it down on my application. Now it really depends on the situation too. If you fail a checkride multiple times, it may raise a few eyebrows. Honestly as a CFI if your consistently failing check rides... this may not be the industry for you.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Checkride failures

Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Right now if you have 2 DUIs and 3 failed check rides someone will give you a shot at the sim
 
f35
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: Checkride failures

Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 pm

As long as you're able to explain what happened and what you learned from it in a positive matter, it's not even a hurdle.
 
User avatar
exunited
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Re: Checkride failures

Tue May 16, 2017 1:24 am

32andBelow wrote:
Right now if you have 2 DUIs and 3 failed check rides someone will give you a shot at the sim


Right now there are plenty of applicants without these impairments to their records at the US3 at least. If you want to fly an RJ forever, the regional will overlook this as things are today. Believe it or not, the sim is a mere formality, the hardest part is passing the HR/technical interview.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 17639
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Checkride failures

Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 am

exunited wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Right now if you have 2 DUIs and 3 failed check rides someone will give you a shot at the sim


Right now there are plenty of applicants without these impairments to their records at the US3 at least. If you want to fly an RJ forever, the regional will overlook this as things are today. Believe it or not, the sim is a mere formality, the hardest part is passing the HR/technical interview.


Indeed. In the sim they're not looking for skill as much as the ability to listen and take instruction.

The interview is where you get the job or not. And even there getting some technical stuff wrong is not the end of the world. What they really want to see is that you are a good fit for the company, and that the other pilot won't want to kill you after sharing the cockpit with you for a few hours.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
BravoOne
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Checkride failures

Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm

In the US your check ride failures are a permanent part of your PRIA records that every airline or employer will see during your application process. What ever you do, don't tell a lie about the failure. Tell them that you learned from the experience and your a better pilot for the experience and move on.....and up!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mpgunner and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos