Lemieux
Topic Author

Crew Scheduling tips?

Mon May 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Afternoon everyone! I was just hired by an undisclosed airline whose base may or may not be located in DFW. I'm just interested to see if any of you guys have tips about how to be an outstanding employee when it comes to crew scheduling, it's a brand new part of the field to me and any info is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W/787-9, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

flynwill

Re: Crew Scheduling tips?

Mon May 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Hello Lemieux,

I am waiting on a callback from a carrier in the DFW/DAL area as well. I had my interview on May 1, 2017 and my file online still shows in progress. When was your interview! Congratulations either way! Glad you go the new position!

Woodreau

Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 am

You have a job to do, and it's to find crews (pilots and flight attendants) to that are legally and contractually able to staff your flights.
You'll need to be familiar with FAR 117, as well as the pilot and flight attendant contracts. As things you can do to flight attendants you cannot do to pilots and vice versa.

Don't take it personally when the crews are mean and nasty to you when you call them. It's not right (and unprofessional) that crews take their anger against the airline out on you, but unfortunately they do.
Usually unless the crews are contractually required to answer their phone (never), you'll spend most of your time leaving voicemail messages when you contact them.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Lemieux
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Woodreau wrote:
You have a job to do, and it's to find crews (pilots and flight attendants) to that are legally and contractually able to staff your flights.
You'll need to be familiar with FAR 117, as well as the pilot and flight attendant contracts. As things you can do to flight attendants you cannot do to pilots and vice versa.

Don't take it personally when the crews are mean and nasty to you when you call them. It's not right (and unprofessional) that crews take their anger against the airline out on you, but unfortunately they do.
Usually unless the crews are contractually required to answer their phone (never), you'll spend most of your time leaving voicemail messages when you contact them.

Thank you, I talked to my buddy who's flying with Republic and he said "You're about to become a very hated man" haha, the main thing that scares me is learning the FA contracts inside and out.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W/787-9, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

Woodreau

Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Generally flight attendants don't have any FAA flight time or duty time limitations, so their limits are generally all contractual and governed by their contract.

Pilots are govern by both the FAA and their pilot contract, so sometimes the FAA is more restrictive or their contract is more restrictive.

While you'll (I'm guessing) start out as just a line scheduler, and you'll probably be tasked with putting out fires, i.e. Here's an open flight, find a crew for it - either using ready reserves (if allowed by the respective contract) or calling in reserves, shifting long call reserves to short call, or reassigning a crewmember who had their flight cancelled or delayed, etc, or calling in other crewmembers on their day off.

Probably as you get more experience, you might want to investigate longer term planning, like next month's schedule, resolving conflicts in transition between bid months. or even bigger picture stuff, like crew planning manning and staffing crew bases....

There will be crewmembers who know their contract inside and out, and will quote section and paragraph to you, and there will be other crewmembers who don't know their contract at all. So you get to deal with both types.

Since you are in SOC, you'll have an opportunity to see the dispatch side and the maintenance side of things and maybe you might want to get the requisite training to go over to the dispatch or maintenance side (dispatch you'll need a dispatch certificate, and maintenance you'll need an A&P certificate and there is probably a whole different process to get into maintenance - you just can't get a A&P and waltz right into SOC on the maintenance side probably)

At my first airline, the dispatchers were crew schedulers who had enough seniority to bid out of crew scheduling and move on over to dispatching (after they got their dispatcher certificate after going to a dispatching course) So it depends on how your airline handles hiring dispatchers and whether you can get into it as an internal hire/transfer as opposed to trying to get into from outside the organization.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

pilotpip

Wed May 17, 2017 1:28 am

A little respect on both ends of the phone go a long way. The problem at my former carrier was that the FAs had a very weak contract, and a very authoritarian management. As a result, the schedulers were very forceful, and often times this carried over to how they tried to talk to the pilot group. There were several that I would never do a favor for, and held them to the contract 100% even when I could benefit out of principal alone. I was never unprofessional with them, but I wasn't afraid to say no.

Prime example: I was on day 4 of a reserve pairing. Contractually, our pairings could only be 4 days. I was held into a 5th day to do one flight 22hours later. They could have easily gotten me back to domicile, and back out the aircraft the next day and had me for 10+ hours of duty. Per our contract, if held into a 5th day we could only do one leg back to base. I asked multiple times if I could get back to domicile and sleep in my own bed, get a clean change of clothes, etc. Nope. Worst part was the scheduler copping an attitude with me.

Next day, I report to the aircraft. There's a whole crew deadheading in the back. The FO was legal to operate the flight back to base. As we're flying, they're constantly sending me ACARS messages asking me to fly 2 more legs. Guess what I said? NOPE. They canceled flights. I went home. Sad part: had they let me go home the night before I would have been required contractually to do all the extra flying they were asking me to do.

It doesn't have to be an adversarial relationship if you don't let it be one. There were a couple I would gladly go out of my way to help out because they did the same for me. Same team.
DMI

Lemieux
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

pilotpip wrote:
A little respect on both ends of the phone go a long way. The problem at my former carrier was that the FAs had a very weak contract, and a very authoritarian management. As a result, the schedulers were very forceful, and often times this carried over to how they tried to talk to the pilot group. There were several that I would never do a favor for, and held them to the contract 100% even when I could benefit out of principal alone. I was never unprofessional with them, but I wasn't afraid to say no.

Prime example: I was on day 4 of a reserve pairing. Contractually, our pairings could only be 4 days. I was held into a 5th day to do one flight 22hours later. They could have easily gotten me back to domicile, and back out the aircraft the next day and had me for 10+ hours of duty. Per our contract, if held into a 5th day we could only do one leg back to base. I asked multiple times if I could get back to domicile and sleep in my own bed, get a clean change of clothes, etc. Nope. Worst part was the scheduler copping an attitude with me.

Next day, I report to the aircraft. There's a whole crew deadheading in the back. The FO was legal to operate the flight back to base. As we're flying, they're constantly sending me ACARS messages asking me to fly 2 more legs. Guess what I said? NOPE. They canceled flights. I went home. Sad part: had they let me go home the night before I would have been required contractually to do all the extra flying they were asking me to do.

It doesn't have to be an adversarial relationship if you don't let it be one. There were a couple I would gladly go out of my way to help out because they did the same for me. Same team.

Whenever I'm having a dispute with another human, I generally try to take time to realize that theyre human as well, and in the case of an airline, we're all on the same team. That really sucks that that happened to you, I understand I'm probably gonna have a couple situations like that eventually, but as long as I keep my cool and try to be courteous you think there'd be a different outcome?

Lemieux
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 am

flynwill wrote:
Hello Lemieux,

I am waiting on a callback from a carrier in the DFW/DAL area as well. I had my interview on May 1, 2017 and my file online still shows in progress. When was your interview! Congratulations either way! Glad you go the new position!

Sorry, just saw this! But I also had my interview 5/1, I know that they're not done contacting people who got the job, so don't worry :smile:

flynwill

Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hey Lemeiux,

Did you get a phone call or an email notifying you that you got the job?

Will

Lemieux
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 10:54 pm

flynwill wrote:
Hey Lemeiux,

Did you get a phone call or an email notifying you that you got the job?

Will

Phone call

NozPerry

Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 am

Don't be a dick to crewing, some people can be petty! Always turn up if you get called off standby
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

flynwill

Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 am

Hey Lemieux,

Can I ask what time was your interview? Me and a friend were in the 230pm interview group.

Lemieux
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 am

flynwill wrote:
Hey Lemieux,

Can I ask what time was your interview? Me and a friend were in the 230pm interview group.

I was in the 1:00 group, had about 20 people in it.

diverted

Sat May 20, 2017 5:13 am

I have a bit of crew scheduling experience in my past.

A few things

Agree with the poster regarding contracts. Some crew members are right on the ball about everything, some have no clue. The worst are the ones who have no clue but think they do. You may spend a good amount of time educating them on the different clauses.

Being friendly and polite can definitely help you out. Scratch a crewmembers back, and they'll return the favour. Some contracts may have provisions regarding draft that you can help someone out with if they'll get you out of a bind.

No matter how polite and professional you are, some crewmembers (as any group of people) are going to be grumpy talking to you. Don't take it personally. Especially if their spouse picks up the phone on a grey day and they end up drafted.

Other than that, be up to speed on your regulations and learn the contracts. Knowing them(though it's nearly impossible to learn every little thing) will help you immensely.

And, in regards union things, ALPA tends to be a LOT easier to deal with than the FA unions in my experience.

VSMUT

Sat May 20, 2017 6:42 pm

diverted wrote:
Being friendly and polite can definitely help you out. Scratch a crewmembers back, and they'll return the favour. Some contracts may have provisions regarding draft that you can help someone out with if they'll get you out of a bind.

As a pilot, I agree. My scheduling team takes time to know us a bit better, and we know them. They know which pilots are single and want to make a little extra per diems and enjoy some travelling, and which ones have family and smal children etc. They aren't just those ***holes at the other end of the line, but friendly people who we know very well. Might be more difficult with a big airline, but still worth trying...

diverted wrote:
Some contracts may have provisions regarding draft that you can help someone out with if they'll get you out of a bind.

Do you really need a contract for that?

diverted

Sun May 21, 2017 5:00 am

VSMUT wrote:
diverted wrote:

As a pilot, I agree. My scheduling team takes time to know us a bit better, and we know them. They know which pilots are single and want to make a little extra per diems and enjoy some travelling, and which ones have family and smal children etc. They aren't just those ***holes at the other end of the line, but friendly people who we know very well. Might be more difficult with a big airline, but still worth trying...

diverted wrote:
Some contracts may have provisions regarding draft that you can help someone out with if they'll get you out of a bind.

No, of course not. But for example, I've seen a contract where if someone was drafted on a GDO the GDO had to be repaid within a month, on a day "mutually agreeable."

So, you're willing to help me out and operate this trip, perhaps we can find a mutually agreeable day that's your kids birthday, or a holiday, or right before a stretch of GDOs, even if we're short on reserve that day and may very well end up drafting again to cover your trip. Rather than "pick one of these 3 random days that we have plenty of coverage"

Lemieux
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 5:15 pm

diverted wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
diverted wrote:

diverted wrote:

No, of course not. But for example, I've seen a contract where if someone was drafted on a GDO the GDO had to be repaid within a month, on a day "mutually agreeable."

So, you're willing to help me out and operate this trip, perhaps we can find a mutually agreeable day that's your kids birthday, or a holiday, or right before a stretch of GDOs, even if we're short on reserve that day and may very well end up drafting again to cover your trip. Rather than "pick one of these 3 random days that we have plenty of coverage"

Figured that resolving situations like this would be a typical factor involved in the job, thank you!

jetblueguy22

Wed May 24, 2017 4:00 am

Lemieux wrote:
diverted wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Figured that resolving situations like this would be a typical factor involved in the job, thank you!

Just to kind of tack onto what others have said, from a management perspective. Always assume the guy or gal you are talking to knows the contract like the back of their hand. If you follow the book and they know that, they'll respect you more over time and will be a little more lenient when crap hits the fan and you need help. Don't take advantage of a guy because you know he doesn't know the contract. I've seen guys who will do whatever you tell them get screwed so many times they become your biggest headache. Can't blame them either. But it will make your job harder and the next guy's.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club