micky007
Topic Author

Suction Camera Holder on the OUTSIDE - PA-28

Wed May 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Hey,

Just wondering if someone can give me some information about the below please.

I'm a Student at Jersey Aero Club and currently on my solos in a PA-28. I'd love the film one of my flights from Jersey using a 4k Action Camera to get a great picture/view of Jersey and the Approach to Jersey Airport. I've been reading mixed feedback about using Suction Cups on an aircraft due to the pressurization making them become useless and just falling off. My plan is to do some circuits round Jersey at no more than 1,300 ft and use a suction cup to attach a camera to the belly/undercarriage of a Piper PA28.

Does anyone know if ill have any issues doing this since ill only be at 1,300ft? Not sure if the pressurization will become an issue for this due to the low altitude.

Can anyone recommend another way of maybe doing this in case any of you think there may be an issue.

Also ill also seek permission from Jersey Aero Club before doing this but would ATC need to know before hand to do a runway inspection after i depart to make sure that for whatever reason the suction cup hasn’t come off (it should have but always good to make sure).

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

zeke

Re: Suction Camera Holder on the OUTSIDE - PA-28

Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 pm

You will probably find it will be considered an illegal aircraft modification. And depending on how the footage is used, an illegal commercial operation.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

skyhawkmatthew

Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm

I would contact the CAA and ask them. In Australia, as Zeke as alluded, CASA sees even a suction cup as an aircraft modification and requires an engineering order or a dispensation. Typically a safety wire attached to a tie-down point is used in case the suction mounting fails.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

77west

Thu May 11, 2017 5:45 am

speed tape to hold it on may be a better/safer bet. Suction cups, well, suck...
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

VSMUT

Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 am

Don't use a suction cup. Use cable-binders or speed tape to affix it to the nose gear strut if you must. I remember from flying school that somebody once did exactly that on a PA-28. The holes for the tow-bar make a good fixing point for a gopro.

zeke

Fri May 12, 2017 6:37 am

If the camera falls off and were to hit someone you can kill them. Don't destroy another family, and your own life as you go to jail for killing someone.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

TOGA10

Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 am

Agree with Zeke, just attach it on the inside somewhere and don't risk it. Flying an aircraft is to avoid unnecessary risks, don't add any.
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine. - Plato

dw747400

Fri May 12, 2017 5:41 pm

The FAA has issued some guidance on externally mounted cameras. I would encourage you to seek it out (would be a good opportunity for your CFI to show you policy letters, ACs, etc. if they have not already) and make sure what you do is in compliance with it. Just remember everything you do as PIC is ultimately your responsibility, so use caution and take the time to understand both the legal and safety issues associated with what you are doing.

Best of luck with your training.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

rjsampson

Sun May 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Some Learjet 25 cowboy pilot put a GoPro on the empennage using only the GoPro's suction cup... before buzzing the town with screaming engines. Depending then, on the strength of your suction cup, you may be okay (regulations aside).

I'm guessing the pilot in this video busted a whole host of regulations. Regardless, it's a pretty awesome video and definitely worth watching (for anyone on this forum):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7bHDlWTVk
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

Acey559

Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 pm

I've seen a number of articles about this recently and they all sing a common tune: don't do it. At least not with just a suction cup. Here in the States, it falls under "careless and reckless" should it fall off. As mentioned, it can also fall under an illegal modification of the aircraft depending on how you do it. I'd speak with a number of people and thoroughly research it just to keep yourself out of trouble and those under you safe.