Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ChaseIsak
Topic Author

Do airlines care about your high school grades when hiring?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 pm

To start off, I must admit I got pretty shitty IGCSE grades, some C(s)and D(s) but I have 2As and 1B. By the way, I'm currently achieving my PPL in Melbourne and on the way through my CPL in the next few months. I flew directly to Melbourne after graduated secondary school and did not tend to consider to get into uni or college in the future.

After complishing my CPL, I might do my IR if it's affordable, I must say I'm not from the wealthiest family so all the training is supported by my parents and trust me it's been extremely hard and challenging. Back to business, if I ever get a chance for an interview in the future, do they bother to look through my IGCSE grades? I'm pretty worried I might not get through based on that. =(

Apologies for any grammatical errors, english isn't my mother tongue. Thanks =)

winginit

Re: Do airlines care about your high school grades when hiring?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I've worked for two major US airlines both in a headquarters capacity, and neither of those carriers cared about or even bothered to ask about my high school performance. For context, I have both undergraduate and graduate degrees, so maybe they would have cared more had that not been the case.
Last edited by winginit on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nutsaboutplanes

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:17 pm

I can only speak for the big US carriers where I have been a hiring manager and onboarded hundreds of front-line and management staff. I have never looked into grades for specific areas of study. I always verify that a certain level of education has been successfully completed but always tend to put much more emphasis on the actual interview interaction and "the fit". The only positions where your specific studies and your performance may be scrutinized to a greater degree are analytical positions and financial/ revenue management positions where specific skill sets are critical. Don't worry too much, keep trying and if you are persistent, you will break through.

Good luck to you!

BravoOne

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I can only speak for one of the (unnamed) but they start off by sending your application through a process where they review it for grammar, punctuation and spelling before it goes any further down the line. Then they want to see your class standings for your college along with a GPA, so yes they do care but don't let that stop you from where you want to be in ten years. Can't be to hard as they hired me once upon a time.

CanadianNorth

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 pm

I've been in aviation for 10 years now and every single time that I can recall being asked about the results of any schooling or courses it's always been a straight up did you pass yes or no. As long as you pass the course the actual grades are just a minor side note.

Starlionblue

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:29 am

My university degree was a tick in a box. I had to submit copies of the transcript but it wasn't mentioned during the entire interview process. Pilot interviewers understand that past performance at school when you were a teenager does not necessarily indicate future effort in the job.

Basically, you have to have enough ticks in the right boxes to get the interview. Perhaps your grades are a negative factor, but on the other hand you got the CPL on your own which is a big plus. It all adds up.

You could contact recruiting and ask if they have precise requirements for grades. If they do and you fall short, you can probably take post-secondary courses to lift your grades. Just the fact that you go to that effort would count as a plus in the commitment category. Airlines are very interested in long term commitment and dedication.

I think that once you're at the interview, all that stuff is accepted as sufficient or you wouldn't be there in the first place.

During the interview process, they're more interested in your capacity to maintain the required standard through years of line checks, renewals and proficiency checks. Also as mentioned above, "the fit". Do you fit as a person? Can you maintain a conversation in a civilized manner? Are you intense or relaxed? Do you seem like a decent guy to hang out with for hours on end in a tiny room? Are you passionate about aviation?

B2468

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Looking at grades from before college seems to be very field-specific. I don't work in the aviation industry, but I am a meteorologist, which is a big part of aviation. When I graduated, about 1/4 of the companies I applied to required certified high school transcripts; one even required middle school transcripts, which was tough since I finished middle school over 20 years ago. One guy who graduated with me even said that he applied to a company that required academic records all the way back to kindergarten, and yes, they did look at them and ask questions.

Fortunately for you, it seems that meteorology is the only field I have ever heard of that cares much about academic records before college. I think it might be a good idea to try to get to know someone who works a job you are aiming for at a company you'd like to work for (an internship is always great for this). That person likely applied for and interviewed at numerous companies and could give you a good insight into what companies care about and don't care about during the application/interview/hiring process.

Good luck!

e38

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Quoting Chaselsak (thread starter): . . . I got pretty sh***y IGCSE grades . . ."

Chaselsak, watch your language, please.

You stated English is not your mother tongue; just for your information, that is not an appropriate word to use on this forum.

e38

BravoOne

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 am

The poster is pilot, get over it. If that's worst we here these days........

precure787

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 am

The most important part is the minimum airtime (1,500 hours), ATP certificate (unrestricted), 1st class medical certificate, and a clean (moral) record. But when it comes to education, airlines hire those who at least finish (graduate from) high school, although college degree is preferable to some. Grades may be a factor, but the GPA (your academic standing) would be more important. They will also find out whether or not potential pilots have been caught cheating in classes.

Starlionblue

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:56 am

precure787 wrote:
The most important part is the minimum airtime (1,500 hours), ATP certificate (unrestricted), 1st class medical certificate, and a clean (moral) record. But when it comes to education, airlines hire those who at least finish (graduate from) high school, although college degree is preferable to some. Grades may be a factor, but the GPA (your academic standing) would be more important. They will also find out whether or not potential pilots have been caught cheating in classes.

An advantage of starting out abroad is that 1500 hours and ATPL is not needed in most jurisdictions.

HAWK21M

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 pm

It does matter as it gives an indication on the students progress along the way.
Although weightage based on the job you apply for will matter the most...earlier grades will play a role too.

wpnstroop

Fri May 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Never been asked about grades in ANY interview or during any hiring process...EVER.

VSMUT

Sat May 20, 2017 6:33 pm

I've never been asked about it either. I don't think most airlines in Europe really care about it either. It would take them ages to sort through the various different grading systems that all differ from one country to the next, and most HR people have come to the realization that there is no correlation between the grades received in high-school versus your abilities as a pilot. I know a few pilots who didn't even complete high-school.

It should be said however, some airlines do require high-school.

airportugal310

Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 am

Before I got my job in airline finance five years ago, I had to take three computer based math tests and a test in Excel. And no calculators allowed! My resume was barely brought up in the personal interviews, let alone transcripts. I never did get the scores on those, but safe to say it was satisfactory. And math was by far my worst subject in university. But I wasn't half bad at it in high school. Funny how that worked...

767333ER

Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Not likely. If they care about any marks it would be for written flight tests and such, but even then probably not.