WPvsMW
Topic Author

Sat-based Crew Scheduling System

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I believe that DL's IROPS meltdown in the days following the 05 April "storm of the century" (a premature title, but hey... this is a.net so we can be poetic about WX) could have been avoided with an Inmarsat/Iridium/etc data network, personal "satcom digital devices", and a mirrored Crew Scheduling System. There are lessons here for all carriers, not just DL.

What we saw was a self-inflicted Denial of Service attack on DL's CSS extranet, resulting in crews unable to report on schedule to stations, with predictable results in delayed and cancelled ops. I'm sure there are DOD models to follow for such a sat-based CSS.

Such a system would cost MUCH less than the loss DL will recognize for "storm of the century IROPS".

Such systems are readily available.
SPOT for outdoor activities, esp. solo backpackers and motocyclists.
https://www.findmespot.com/en/

LoJack for truckers.
http://www.lojack.com/

[humor] Now who can deny that a.net leads the way in civil aviation? [/humor]

spudsmac

Re: Sat-based Crew Scheduling System

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Everyone would put them in EM blocking pouches.

FlyHossD

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Isn't there a chance - a possibility - of any system, no matter where's it's based, to experience an outage? So would there be any real gain?

And by "mirrored system," are you suggesting duplicate systems? Considering how bean counters rule so many businesses including airlines, would they not object to the additional cost?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Any mission-critical IT system SHOULD already be mirrored. Tandem Computers pioneered the concept in the 80s.

Any system can fail. Do you have one backup, two backups, or three backups of your work files? In the pro audio and video world, three backups is the norm. Two, or even three, mirrored sites is the norm for critical online systems. The probability of primary and three levels of redundancy concurrently failing is remote. The larger issue is single-thread comm links.... usually the cause of mobile phone deadspots. If only a single cell tower provides service, there's no failover when the single signal path is blocked. Iridium solves the problem (but Iridium bandwidth is at a premium). Inmarsat is a distant second best... fewer sats, in much higher geo-orbit.

jetblueguy22

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 am

The coast alone for such a system would probably exceed the cost savings during extraordinary disasters. Sat bandwidth is still not cheap
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club