StationAir
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:01 am

737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Currently sitting in a new Delta 737-900ER awaiting to travel from KEWR to KSLC. Stormy day here in NY. Plane departs and we go back to the gate for more fuel due to a route change. Once at the gate, cargo came off (mail) and 15 "volunteer" passengers. Hard to believe this plane (I note the ER design) has to load restrict for a 2,000 mile trip. Delta used to fly this route with 757's.......
 
len90
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:25 pm

That's very interesting. Delta states the range of the aircraft are just under 2,900 miles. Wonder if there are severe headwinds right now.
Len90
 
ericm2031
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: 737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 pm

There is a storm heading onto the West Coast so that could be resulting in some heavy headwinds
 
winginit
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:42 pm

While it's anecdotal, DL's 739s to Hawaii from LAX the past few months have had a dreadful time due to abnormally strong outbound winds, and I saw first hand some days upwards of 30 passengers being bumped and re-accommodated on HA. Issues with AA's 321s as well.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: 737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Huge storms over the Midwest forcing a major route change...and added mileage.
 
CHI87LG
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:46 am

Re: 737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 pm

There are very strong headwinds all the way to Kansas City today. I don't think it has to do with the ER's performance so much as safety. An ER is not a 757 - it is from a different era, with a different mission, with much better technology to allow the margins to get thinner and thinner. You will likely be flying many hundreds more miles against the air than you are against the ground.
Last edited by CHI87LG on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 1551
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 pm

winginit wrote:
While it's anecdotal, DL's 739s to Hawaii from LAX the past few months have had a dreadful time due to abnormally strong outbound winds, and I saw first hand some days upwards of 30 passengers being bumped and re-accommodated on HA. Issues with AA's 321s as well.


The 757 truly is one of a kind.
 
User avatar
ramprat74
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:01 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 am

I don't care how many times the bean counters tell you that the 737-900ER is the 757-200 replacement, it's not and never will be. The 900ER might carry close to what the 757-200 did in passengers, but that's where it stops. It can't haul bags and cargo like the 757 did. They're weight restricted, load balance restricted, range restricted, etc. I wish my company would of bought the A321 over the 737-900ER to replace the 757 fleet.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7259
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 am

Looking at flightaware, it almost looks like they diverted through the weather than around it, if that makes sense. Anyone else able to tell from looking at it if it's just that the winds are heavy and not actual storms?
-Dave
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7259
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:46 am

Too bad it's not still a SONG route on the 757. :-)
-Dave
 
Acey
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:50 am

It does look like they're fighting to get through storms all through the midwest, but... FlightAware still says it's under 4 hrs 30 min of flying which one would have thought the ER would be able to do unrestricted. Maybe they took 40k lbs of fuel just to make sure they'd get through it all, who knows. Hard to condemn the airplane without knowing the whole story.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
klkla
Posts: 712
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 am

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 am

DL498 flew JFK-SLC this morning without any problem with the same type. So it's not a problem with the 737-900ER per se. There was obviously some extenuating circumstance.
 
User avatar
kgaiflyer
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:22 am

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:16 am

"The 900ER might carry close to what the 757-200 did in passengers, but that's where it stops. It can't haul bags and cargo like the 757 did. They're weight restricted,"

And they tail-tip. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLWxD0gY__A
 
berari
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 am

Is this DL1724? Can someone explain to me why both SLC-EWR and EWR-SLC have the same DL1724 flight number? Is this new with DL?
 
Beatyair
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 am

I asked another airline why they did not buy 737-900er's. They said that with the extra fuel tank that they had limited cargo space and weight issues. They said they where much better off with 737-800's.
That 737-900 takes a lot of runway to get off the ground and they can't put bigger engines on it due to its stubby gear. The A321 is the better chose.
I wish Boeing worked on the 757 replacement rather then the 777x. The 777 was doing just fine. There was s segment that was there's for the taking.
 
User avatar
asqx
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 1999 4:56 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:26 am

berari wrote:
Is this DL1724? Can someone explain to me why both SLC-EWR and EWR-SLC have the same DL1724 flight number? Is this new with DL?


Delta (and other airlines as well) have been using the same flight number on return trips from/to a hub for years. It helps conserve flight numbers with the ever increasing numbers of codeshares. Delta has been doing it for at least 10 years, possibly longer.
 
gloom
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:05 am

If you want to see the winds, here's one from my friend:
www.windytv.com

Juest check the FL you want, and there you go. Easier than looking at actual high weather SIGs.

Cheers,
Adam
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 2159
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:58 pm

The flight ended up being 4 hours 30 minutes. While long for EWR-SLC, that should not cause weight restrictions resulting in passengers being offloaded under normal conditions. My guess is that there was something wrong with the plane requiring a deferral or they had to use the crosswind runway.

The EWR crosswind runway is only 6800ft. If they took off from that, there would be significant payload restrictions with the 737-900ER.

They could have had a hydraulic pump fail, brake problem or some other problem that can be deferred but comes with a performance limitation. For example a hydraulic pump failure can still allow the plane to fly, but there is a MTOW restriction. My guess is that a maintenance deferral caused a weight restriction causing them to need to offload passengers.
 
MSJYOP28Apilot
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:09 am

Re: 737-900ER performance

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 am

When talking about MTOW and weight restrictions there are several different ways of looking at it. There is takeoff performance MTOW which is the most limiting of the climb and runway limited weights. There is maximum structural takeoff weight. There is maximum ramp weight. Maximum zero fuel weight. MTOW limited by maximum landing weight. MTOW limited by fuel requirements. MTOW limited by MEL requirements.

While EWR-SLC may not seem like a route that is pushing the limits of the 737-900ER, there are many factors in play. With ATC constraints, the flight may have to stay a low altitude until getting past the ZNY/ZOB constraints which adds fuel. Turbulence at higher altitudes means needing the fuel for a lower altitude if lower altitudes are smoother. At EWR, ATC often changes re-routes for weather so adding more on top of what you need is a good idea but it limits your payload due to landing weight limits if you end up not needing it.

Another factor is that SLC is rather isolated in terms of alternate airports. Currently, SLC has rain, snow and some lowered visibility and ceilings forecast. Depending on regional weather, you may need to use LAS, DEN, BOI which are longer alternates and this will hurt you big time on both structural MTOW, max ramp, and max landing weight.

One thing to remember is when there are thunderstorms, ATC may throw out an incredibly long re-route that the carrier has to fuel for and takes off with as their routing. However, once the aircraft gets passed the constrained area it is very common to get a direct routing. So a flight may have been weight restricted not because of landing weight but because of structural MTOW but with a more direct routing it may not seem as if the flight was getting close to fuel and performance limits.

I doubt at EWR on the parallels that MELs would be a major issue. Those long runways shouldnt be a problem for most MELs and CDLs. 11/29 might be a different story though as it is shorter.
 
Adispatcher
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:10 am

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
When talking about MTOW and weight restrictions there are several different ways of looking at it. There is takeoff performance MTOW which is the most limiting of the climb and runway limited weights. There is maximum structural takeoff weight. There is maximum ramp weight. Maximum zero fuel weight. MTOW limited by maximum landing weight. MTOW limited by fuel requirements. MTOW limited by MEL requirements.

While EWR-SLC may not seem like a route that is pushing the limits of the 737-900ER, there are many factors in play. With ATC constraints, the flight may have to stay a low altitude until getting past the ZNY/ZOB constraints which adds fuel. Turbulence at higher altitudes means needing the fuel for a lower altitude if lower altitudes are smoother. At EWR, ATC often changes re-routes for weather so adding more on top of what you need is a good idea but it limits your payload due to landing weight limits if you end up not needing it.

Another factor is that SLC is rather isolated in terms of alternate airports. Currently, SLC has rain, snow and some lowered visibility and ceilings forecast. Depending on regional weather, you may need to use LAS, DEN, BOI which are longer alternates and this will hurt you big time on both structural MTOW, max ramp, and max landing weight.

One thing to remember is when there are thunderstorms, ATC may throw out an incredibly long re-route that the carrier has to fuel for and takes off with as their routing. However, once the aircraft gets passed the constrained area it is very common to get a direct routing. So a flight may have been weight restricted not because of landing weight but because of structural MTOW but with a more direct routing it may not seem as if the flight was getting close to fuel and performance limits.

I doubt at EWR on the parallels that MELs would be a major issue. Those long runways shouldnt be a problem for most MELs and CDLs. 11/29 might be a different story though as it is shorter.


Very true. Even close(r) in alternates like GJT or TWF are still a decent ways out. SLC area paper alternates exist, but many stray away from them with freezing precip in the forecast.
 
User avatar
thefactorypilot
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:45 am

StationAir wrote:
Currently sitting in a new Delta 737-900ER awaiting to travel from KEWR to KSLC. Stormy day here in NY. Plane departs and we go back to the gate for more fuel due to a route change. Once at the gate, cargo came off (mail) and 15 "volunteer" passengers. Hard to believe this plane (I note the ER design) has to load restrict for a 2,000 mile trip. Delta used to fly this route with 757's.......

Yesterday my IRS showed the winds at the Canadian border around Toronto to be 275 degrees at 247 knots! HOLY MOLY I've never seen it that strong.
 
ALTF4
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm

If the passengers being removed from your flight had failed to comply and remained on the flight, would they have been forcibly removed from the flight, in all likelihood? I know it is theoretical - but given the UA discussions at the moment, it's a relevant question as this highlights yet another way that passengers are removed for operational purposes.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.
 
AndrewJM70
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: 737-900ER performance

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Some facts for those comparing the 739 to the 757....

The 757-200 weighs up to 115t on take-off and is powered by engines with up to 43k lbs of thrust.
The 737-900ER carries almost as many passengers but weighs 85t and is powered by 2x 27k lbs of thrust.

That is the reason that the bean-counters like the latter!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LU9092, Overthecascades, phugoid1982 and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos