Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QWYXR
Topic Author

howto be an airline pilot?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 pm

so im 14 but have been interested in airplanes my whole life. so i sorta wanna be an airline pilot in my future but want to know the best way to go about this. so for starter im not wealthy so i need a cheaper way to do it. ive considered joining the military when im older to learn to fly, but dont know which branch i have the highest chances of being a pilot in. i d much appreciate if someone could givw some advice on this subject.
thanks!

Starlionblue

Re: howto be an airline pilot?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 am

- Once you're 16, get a first class aviation medical to make certain there's nothing medical barring you from the profession.
- Take a few trial flying lessons at least. Preferably get a PPL. Flying a Cessna 172 or whatever isn't the same as flying an airliner, but if you don't enjoy the 172, you won¨t enjoy the airliner. More precisely, if you don't enjoy the process of learning the theory and practice, then taking the checkride, you won't enjoy working for an airline.
- Study hard. If you're not good at studying, learn the techniques required to do so effectively. Airline pilots have to study a lot, and most majors nowadays require a degree or some equivalent to a degree.
- If the military route is open to you, definitely explore the options there.
- Airline pilots have wildly varied aviation backgrounds. Some have done cadet programs. Some are ex-military. Some have been instructors, banner towers, parachute droppers or crop dusters. All those routes can lead to an airline job, so don't worry too much if you don't get into the military.
- Prepare yourself mentally for the fact that getting an airline job is a marathon, not a sprint. The path for most is long and twisty. Mental "grit" is required. Airline recruiters like to see candidates that have shown they can apply themselves to a project for long periods of time without being discouraged.
- There are many people who want to be pilots. Airlines can pick and choose candidates. Never make enemies in aviation. That guy who slouched in the couch at the flying school every day could end up at your dream airline interviewing candidates, or as your check airman, or as your first simulator instructor.

May the Force be With You!

Woodreau

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Which country do you live?

In the US, you can obtain a student pilot certificate at the age of 14 to fly gliders and balloons.
At my local airport we had some motivated kids interested in airplanes but no money. The airport had a glider operation, so they hung out at the airport, talked to all the pilots, helped out on the glider flight line and got free lessons by offering to wash (a lot of) airplanes. They got free lessons, and each one on their 14th birthday soloed in a glider (although I hear with the way the pilot medical and student pilot certificate is handled today it may not be possible to solo on your 14th or 16th birthday anymore) and obtained their private pilot certificate on their 16th birthday added on their airplane ratings so they could fly the towplane at 17 and became commercial pilots at 18, flying the glider rides. Eventually they moved on into commercial aviation away from the local airport. They had a lot of support from the local airport pilot community that they earned by showing they were willing to work for their dreams.

To work as an airline pilot in the US you will need to obtain a ATP with 1500 hours or R-ATP with 750 or 1000 hours.
Virtually all major airlines will "prefer" a 4-year college degree - although its not required to have a college degree, the majority of the pilot applicants will have one and not having a college degree is an easy way to weed out the large number of applications that exceed the number of pilot training slots available at an airline.

While the military is another option, it's not exactly free from pitfalls. Except for the Army, pilots in the military are officers, which means you will need to go through an officer accession program, either through a service academy, ROTC program, or OCS program, or apply directly to an Air National Guard/Air Force Reserve unit. In the military you are an officer first, pilot second. The needs of the service comes first, and many aspiring pilots that have gone into the military to fly planes only to discover they have become drone pilots or helicopter or tilt-rotor pilots (or in my case, I was made a ship-driver.) While that in itself is not a barrier to becoming an airline pilot - it just presents a different obstacle that you will have to overcome.

you can google baseops to find out more about becoming a military pilot and jetcareers to find out more about becoming a pilot in general.

good luck blue skies and fair winds on your endeavors.

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Woodreau wrote:

To work as an airline pilot in the US you will need to obtain a ATP with 1500 hours or R-ATP with 750 or 1000 hours.

On that note, look into working abroad as well. This expands your options quite a bit, though of course there are downsides there as well.

flymia

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 pm

The first question is what country do you live in? Once we know that we can give you better advice, but almost all advice starts with get your PPL as soon as you can, and make sure you can pass a Class I FAA Medical or whatever medical needed for your country.

As for the U.S. military someone with more knowledge can correct me, but most Navy or Air Force pilots go through ROTC in a University and then apply for flight school. I believe, at least last time I checked, the Marines allow you to sign up for the Marines on the contingency that you want to fly, if you wash out of flight school, or can't fly for some reason you don't need to stay in the Marines, do not think this is the case for the Air Force or Navy.

These days you don't need to go to the military though, civil training is fine. Its just cost money, but being a military pilot is about being in the military not just about being a pilot. You have to want to join the forces and fight for your country.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 am

True for all services--wash out and you're discharged unless you can find a career field that will take you into training. Look into ANG or Reserves for UPT

rjsampson

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 am

Starlionblue wrote:
- Once you're 16, get a first class aviation medical to make certain there's nothing medical barring you from the profession.
- Take a few trial flying lessons at least. Preferably get a PPL. Flying a Cessna 172 or whatever isn't the same as flying an airliner, but if you don't enjoy the 172, you won¨t enjoy the airliner. More precisely, if you don't enjoy the process of learning the theory and practice, then taking the checkride, you won't enjoy working for an airline.
- Study hard. If you're not good at studying, learn the techniques required to do so effectively. Airline pilots have to study a lot, and most majors nowadays require a degree or some equivalent to a degree.
- If the military route is open to you, definitely explore the options there.
- Airline pilots have wildly varied aviation backgrounds. Some have done cadet programs. Some are ex-military. Some have been instructors, banner towers, parachute droppers or crop dusters. All those routes can lead to an airline job, so don't worry too much if you don't get into the military.
- Prepare yourself mentally for the fact that getting an airline job is a marathon, not a sprint. The path for most is long and twisty. Mental "grit" is required. Airline recruiters like to see candidates that have shown they can apply themselves to a project for long periods of time without being discouraged.
- There are many people who want to be pilots. Airlines can pick and choose candidates. Never make enemies in aviation. That guy who slouched in the couch at the flying school every day could end up at your dream airline interviewing candidates, or as your check airman, or as your first simulator instructor.

May the Force be With You!

Excellent advice. The following assumes that you are in the United States:

Given that you're concerned about money, and in your Freshman year in high school: The military is your easiest option to get there. Look at your GPA and your grades in middle school. Maybe some previous standardized test scores that you took. You'll need to take the SAT and/or ACT, and score high. If you've been a good student, with high standardized test scores so far: It's not too early to look into how you can get a "congressional nomination." You may wish to talk to a high school counselor, stating your intent of being accepted to one of the 4 military Academies (Air Force Academy, Navy Academy, etc.)

I don't think the branch should matter much. If you get your PPL before you matriculate: All the better. Expect to invest around $10,000 to get your PPL. Heck, in the meantime: Why don't you see if there's a flight school within 50 miles of where you live, that teaches Sailplane (aka Soaring, Glider) flight training? You can solo in one of those this year! That could be a great start to your resume.

Regardless of your country: Getting your PPL (or equivalent) is the first step. Study now, and if you love flying, and you're in the US: You can solo in a glider at your age. Pretty cool, huh? That'll be a few thousand bucks you'll need to invest. VERY worth it, IMHO.

Long-term: The Military Academies will provide free tuition, and free flight training. This would be invaluable. You will graduate a military officer. You will need to commit to several years of service to the military (assuming you become a pilot in the respective branch), and upon discharge: You will be highly trained, and likely qualified to apply to the regionals (at least) with a good amount of flight time.

The money will suck for the first year or two.

If the military route isn't reasonable: Unless you have the cash, expect to take out a substantial loans for flight training to acquire a Commercial Pilot's License. This allows you to become an Certified Flight Instructor.

The money will really suck until you build your flight time.

But you'll build flight time, and learn lessons as a teacher that are more valuable than those you could learn as a student. After you build sufficient hours, and progress to more advanced aircraft: You will likely have to borrow (or spend) money to gain Airline Transport Pilot certification. At this time, assuming you've kept your nose clean (as Starlion said: Don't make enemies), you stand the same good chance of finding employment with a regional carrier.

The money will suck for the first year or two.

And unless you paid cash for your PPL, Instrument, Multi-engine, CFI, Commercial, and ATP: You'll have some loan payments to factor into your budget.

Being a pilot isn't a "get rich" profession. It involves tremendous mental, emotional, and financial sacrifice (the military route removes a good deal of the latter). So long as your passion and dedication is there: I wish you the best of luck.

LHA350

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:11 am

I've got the same question here, but I'm in Hongkong. I'll be getting my first solo in a Piper Tomahawk this summer in New Zealand, and in hope of getting into Cathay Pacific cadet program when I turn 18. Are there some tips for me here in Hongkong or about my first solo? I'm kind of worried about my landing flare, I'm not very good at it, especially under crosswind conditions.
Thanks!

LH707330

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 am

LHA350 wrote:
I've got the same question here, but I'm in Hongkong. I'll be getting my first solo in a Piper Tomahawk this summer in New Zealand, and in hope of getting into Cathay Pacific cadet program when I turn 18. Are there some tips for me here in Hongkong or about my first solo? I'm kind of worried about my landing flare, I'm not very good at it, especially under crosswind conditions.
Thanks!

I think most students have an issue with the flare, I'm working towards my solo and that's the last thing that's really taking time. I've found that it helps to chop it into two phases, the roundout and the flare. Here's a good article on the topic: http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/landing.html#sec-landing

Regarding how/where to do it, if you're an EU citizen you can apply to the cadet programs at either LH or LX, though I heard (late 2015) they've both got a bit of a freeze in place.

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 am

LHA350 wrote:
Thanks!

The TraumaHawk? I'm so sorry. :D

I still have an issue with the flare. ;) Jokes aside, just keep practicing. Circuits, circuits circuits. Visualise. Chair fly. All that good stuff. The mechanics of hand flying are mostly muscle memory, and you will learn this if you keep at it and listen to your instructors.

Remember pitch and power settings. Keep pitch constant on final while varying power (gently). Don't be a stick pumper. The airplane is stable if you let it be stable. Remember your visual cues for the flare. Once you see these cues, look up to the end of the runway and keep that end of the runway in a fixed position in the window. Your hands will do the rest.

If you are a HK Permanent Resident or Citizen, you have a good chance to get an interview. The important things the airlines want to see from a cadet are a passion for aviation and a level of long term dedication. The fact that you are taking flying lessons on your own speaks in your favour.

Once you've shown that you understand the basics at your level, the interview is all about chemistry. Will you be a good fit? Are you a social person? Are you humble and "teachable"?

glen

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:58 am

LHA350 wrote:
Thanks!

Don't bother too much about your landing flare.
Of course you have to master it, but if you are not untalented, you will. If you continue on the path to become a professional pilot there will be probably more instances where you seem to be stuck with your basic flying skills. But again, if you are not talent-free, you will overcome such situations
To do so however you need some other, non-technical skills like the abilites for a good decison making, setting good priorities, adapt to changing situations, having a comprehensive situational awareness, honest self-reflection or being able to work in a team.

These skills belong to your basic capability to become a pilot. If you are able to land your Tomahawk in crosswind conditions straight forward from the beginning but are missing these abilities, you won't make it as a professional pilot. On the other hand, if you need some additional time to master your training aircraft but are good at areas mentioned above - you have the chance to become a great pilot.