EvrenErdem
Topic Author

Why Is There Only One Rudder in an Aircraft?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm

First of all, Hello everyone from Turkey, this is my first topic and I have an interesting question. I searched about it but I couldn't find a nice answer.
So here is the question;
Although all aircrafts have two components of each things, such as 2 wings, 2 ailerons, two engines, two pilots, two hydraulic systems etc., why is there only one rudder / rudder surface?
(it is also an interview question)
My most logical answer for this question is due to aerodynamic design. However I'd like hear your answers.
Thank you.

StereoTechque

Re: Why Is There Only One Rudder in an Aircraft?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:34 pm

It all depends on what mission your aircraft is designed for. The aircraft requires rudder for maneuvering around the vertical axis. These days aircraft design is all about compromise between fuel efficiency, thrust, Pax load etc. They are designed to have as less Components as possible. So if one rudder does the job of yawing, you don't need another one.
There are also aircrafts having two rudders - AN 225.
P. S. Modern Airliner wing is considered as a single wing.
Priortise..Revise and Improvise..

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 pm

We think of wings as having two ailerons, but actually a modern wing is a complex system having innumerable moving parts. Like a bird wing it can change shapes and flight characteristics to match specific flight needs.

The P38 has a twin rudder. It had an unusually long turbo super charger, and designers realized extending the two of them just a little would support the rear part of the plane. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning This was an odd precursor of the often heard adage that to build a plane you take on engine first, and see how much plane you can build around it. This is opposed to the Wright brothers insight that controlling the flight was the first problem to solve.
Last edited by frmrCapCadet on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Two wings gets you nothing when one comes off! Besides most large aircraft actually have either two rudders or several means to power the rudder(s), usually from two or three hydraulic systems. Merhaba.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Unlike a ship, the rudder does not "turn" the aircraft. Some personalities, who comment on aviation as "experts" on TV often convey the notion that a rudder turns an aircraft. The rudder is used to offset unwanted yaw motion due to such factors as asymmetric thrust and aileron design or gust upsets. It is also used to align the aircraft with the runway during crosswind operations. You could have two, three or more rudder surfaces as some aircraft designs have but additional surfaces can increase weight and control complexity. A rudder size, area, and deflection angles are designed to produce the necessary degree of control, on that axis, under all flight envelope extremes.

rmilstre

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Ideally, since a rudder (and the fin/vertical stabilizer) controls yaw moments and the horizontal stabilizer controls pitch moments, you'd want a (smaller) rudder/fin/stabilizer on the top of the fuselage and an equivalent one on the bottom.

But that's gonna make your tailstrike problems essentially insurmountable. So, the engineering compromise is to "live with" just one on the top, making it sufficiently large to safely do the job.

-R

mmo

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Just to be technically, the 747 family does have 2 rudders. There is the upper and lower rudder......
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

KLDC10

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 pm

mmo wrote:
Just to be technically, the 747 family does have 2 rudders. There is the upper and lower rudder......

And the Lockheed Constellation had three ;)
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190

EvrenErdem
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Thank you for your answers, I am here and reading your answers. It's like a brainstorm for me and also I learn new things, thanks again.
As I mentioned on my first message, it is an interview question and an interesting one for an interview.
so if you have any more answers or any brainstorm ideas, I'd like to continue hearing...

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:04 am

Most widebodies have two rudders for redundancy.

As mentioned above, the aerodynamic ideal might be a cruciform tailplane, which is impractical for other reasons.

KLDC10 wrote:
mmo wrote:

And the Lockheed Constellation had three ;)

StereoTechque wrote:
There are also aircrafts having two rudders - AN 225.

Not the best aerodynamic solution in either case. The Connie allegedly had three smaller fins as opposed to a large one so it would fit in existing hangars. The An-225 has two fins because when it carried Buran the orbiter would mask a central rudder. An-225's daddy the An-124 only has one fin.

Compromises as ever.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

WIederling

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
Compromises as ever.

The Belugas get endplates for more directional stability.

A380 has a segmented rudder.
Murphy is an optimist

7BOEING7

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 am

Starlionblue wrote:

The 747 has two rudders (upper& lower) but the 767, 777 and 787 only have one. In both cases the systems supporting the rudder(s) are redundant.

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:11 am

7BOEING7 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

The 747 has two rudders (upper& lower) but the 767, 777 and 787 only have one. In both cases the systems supporting the rudder(s) are redundant.

I can't believe I wrote most widebodies have two rudders. I was thinking of redundant actuation... Brainfart...

To add to the list, the 330/340 has one rudder. However it has triple redundant actuation..
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

QuarkFly

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:00 am

Just in case it has not been clarified already...More than one rudder is not necessary because aircraft can fly without the rudder (in most cases) since the ailerons can turn the aircraft without the rudder. The rudder is used primarily to keep the nose pointed in the direction of the turn only and in an emergency the pilot can fly without a rudder. Thus, a second rudder is not necessary for redundancy...there are always some exceptions.
Always take the Red Eye if possible

tb727

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:01 am

The 727 had an upper and lower rudder as well. The engine driven pumps ran the lower and the upper was by the electric pumps as well as the standby hydraulic pump. The rudders were also double hinged to increase effectiveness. Dutch roll was a big deal with this airplane so the rudder is very important and the way to make it redundant was to split and power them the way they did.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

mxaxai

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 am

A single rudder induces some torque on the fuselage, though. That may or may not have been the reason for the japanese J7W https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyushu_J7W had an unusual rudder configuration both above and below the wing. Other flying objects for whom takeoff and landing are not a concern have a cruciform tailplane, like the X-15 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-15 or many missiles.

benbeny

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:24 am

Actually, every rudder induces torque to airframe part it sits. You cannot turn airplane with rudder without torque exerted from the rudder.

77west

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 am

tb727 wrote:
The 727 had an upper and lower rudder as well. The engine driven pumps ran the lower and the upper was by the electric pumps as well as the standby hydraulic pump. The rudders were also double hinged to increase effectiveness. Dutch roll was a big deal with this airplane so the rudder is very important and the way to make it redundant was to split and power them the way they did.

I believe the lower part of the 777 rudder is triple-hinged (or at least double hinged) as well.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

WIederling

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

benbeny wrote:
Actually, every rudder induces torque to airframe part it sits. You cannot turn airplane with rudder without torque exerted from the rudder.

My guess is that the OP was thinking about introducing some roll torque (longitudinal axis) into the plane while the primary purpose is torque around the vertical axis.

Do 335 had a cruciform tail with the lower part and rear propeller being emergency detachable.
Murphy is an optimist

EvrenErdem
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

So, as I understand from your messages, if I say that everything is related to aerodynamic and also design, it won't be wrong, I guess.????
Connie has 3 rudders bcs it didn't fit into hangar.
An-225 has 2 rudders bcs it carries space shuttle.
Some military jets have 2 rudders bcs they need fast movement.
etc.
However, even though there is only one vertical stabilazer, so one rudder, there are always more than one system to control the rudder.
And Although it is not a vital part and an aircraft can fly without it, it is neccessary having a rudder surface to control the aircraft yaw movement easily.
So to have a comfortable travel with a passenger aircraft, the rudder is a crucial part.

By the way, one more time, thank you for your answers.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

EvrenErdem wrote:
So, as I understand from your messages, if I say that everything is related to aerodynamic and also design, it won't be wrong, I guess.????
Connie has 3 rudders bcs it didn't fit into hangar.
An-225 has 2 rudders bcs it carries space shuttle.
Some military jets have 2 rudders bcs they need fast movement.
etc.
However, even though there is only one vertical stabilazer, so one rudder, there are always more than one system to control the rudder.
And Although it is not a vital part and an aircraft can fly without it, it is neccessary having a rudder surface to control the aircraft yaw movement easily.
So to have a comfortable travel with a passenger aircraft, the rudder is a crucial part.

By the way, one more time, thank you for your answers.

Pretty much.

I'll add that in addition to the maneuverability bit, some military aircraft also have two fins due to to height restrictions, particularly carrier based aircraft like the F-14 and F/A-18. The first F-14 concepts had a single fin like the F-111.

Bostrom

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

Pretty much.

I'll add that in addition to the maneuverability bit, some military aircraft also have two fins due to to height restrictions, particularly carrier based aircraft like the F-14 and F/A-18. The first F-14 concepts had a single fin like the F-111.

A problem that also could be solved in another way. http://modellbygge.ifokus.se/u2/7081b56 ... /image.jpg

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 am

Bostrom wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Pretty much.

A problem that also could be solved in another way. http://modellbygge.ifokus.se/u2/7081b56 ... /image.jpg

Quite right. And carrier based aircraft use that method as well. It adds weight and complexity, though. But then again so do double tails. Image

benbeny

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 am

as usual, everything comes to a tradeoff. will people buy a plane with shorter height but heavier structure, or will people buy taller plane with better aerodynamics efficiency?
anyway, boeing chose solved the hangar height problem of stratocruiser by making complex and heavy folding mechanism instead of triple tail of constellation, maybe because they think that folding mechanism was worth the effort