TheRealCamNeely
Topic Author

Tips for Getting a Job at an FBO

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello Airliners.net, I apologize if this is the wrong sub forum and I apologize if I was suppose to make an introduction post (I couldn't a place to make one).

I am currently looking for a new job and hopefully one at an FBO. I have started doing PT with the local Air Force ROTC detachment and after I transfer to a university in the fall I will be doing ROTC officially. Right now I am a community college student.

I have previous work experience working in the Night Club industry, Lawncare and as an Oil/Tire Tech and an Oil Change shop.

At the end of May I will have an equivalent of an Associates in Science for Business Admin with 64 credit hours and 3.6 GPA. (I won't have an official associates since I changed my major once and I will be changing my major again after I transfer so I can do 3 years of AFROTC. However, I have completed all of the business course requirements and only have 2 gen eds left to complete).

I have talked to two of the five FBO's in my area and one told me that he may have a few jobs opening for the summer as a couple of his workers are graduating college this year, but nothing guaranteed. He took my resume and told me if a job does open up that I will hear from him in May.

The second one I talked needed someone there 40 hours a week starting ASAP. This would be fine over the summer but during the school year not possible.

What are FBO's looking for regarding new hires? I'm guessing having previous Aviation experience is a plus (I don't have any)?

Would they prefer me having an official Associates or would my current equivalent be fine?

Any advice at all would be helpful.

FGITD

Re: Tips for Getting a Job at an FBO

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:17 am

Where approximately are you located? Major airport, small strip, municipal field etc?

Interestingly enough, it seems that to work at a small field, most people have more experience/knowledge. As opposed to a major international airport, where the main requirement is that you exist as a human, can pick up 75lbs, and have a license.

Don't worry about college degree requirement or anything. These are the types of jobs you learn on your feet.

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:21 am

FGITD wrote:

Interestingly enough, it seems that to work at a small field, most people have more experience/knowledge. As opposed to a major international airport, where the main requirement is that you exist as a human, can pick up 75lbs, and have a license..

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This is true for many jobs. Small field office means people have to know multiple jobs, and how they interconnect. Main office means any given worker can sit in his "silo" for years doing the same thing. Yes, I'm stereotyping...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

diverted

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 pm

What are you looking for? Start on the ramp or fuelling as a foot in the door?

In that event, try and get across that you like aviation as more than just a job. Show a willingness to learn, and be flexible. Hours might be all over the place, nights, mornings etc. Demonstrate that you have a basic understanding of what goes on.

In my experience, and I think many will agree, it's also more who you know then what you know.

TheRealCamNeely
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:11 pm

diverted wrote:
What are you looking for? Start on the ramp or fuelling as a foot in the door?

In that event, try and get across that you like aviation as more than just a job. Show a willingness to learn, and be flexible. Hours might be all over the place, nights, mornings etc. Demonstrate that you have a basic understanding of what goes on.

In my experience, and I think many will agree, it's also more who you know then what you know.

I'm just trying to get my foot in the door right now. I don't have any preference.

I do have to agree with it's no doubt who you know. Personally I don't know anyone in the aviation industry or anyone into aviation.

TheRealCamNeely
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 pm

FGITD wrote:
Where approximately are you located? Major airport, small strip, municipal field etc?

Interestingly enough, it seems that to work at a small field, most people have more experience/knowledge. As opposed to a major international airport, where the main requirement is that you exist as a human, can pick up 75lbs, and have a license.

Don't worry about college degree requirement or anything. These are the types of jobs you learn on your feet.

Where I live there are four small General Aviation airports that most have Cessna's, Pipers, Mooneys, gliders and a few private jets.

One of the four airports is a little bigger has more private jets, larger planes and does offer sky diving.

About an hour away there is a regional airport, which is the biggest one.