Trx25
Topic Author

Aircraft engineer with license but without a degree

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:37 am

Hi!
My brother is almost finished at IGCSE/Grade 10 and he wants to be an aircraft engineer. An accredited training center near us and told us about EASA Part 66 B1/B2 License which composed of 2 years theoretical and 2 years practicum. Our only concern is he will not have a bachelor's degree, would that be a problem for him to find work or the license is much more valuable than the degree? I hope someone could help me understand this so we can have options for my brother.

mmo

Re: Aircraft engineer with license but without a degree

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 am

I don't know if I would characterize it quite like that as both are valuable. It really depends on what his long term goals are. There are plenty of options with a large carrier with just the license. If he would like to someday go into management or work for an engine manufacturer in a sales or management capacity then having both would be ideal.

I know plenty of engineers at BA who only have their license and are doing fine. BA does have a very good apprentice program and would highly suggest that.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

zeke

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Trx25 wrote:
Hi!
My brother is almost finished at IGCSE/Grade 10 and he wants to be an aircraft engineer. An accredited training center near us and told us about EASA Part 66 B1/B2 License which composed of 2 years theoretical and 2 years practicum. Our only concern is he will not have a bachelor's degree, would that be a problem for him to find work or the license is much more valuable than the degree? I hope someone could help me understand this so we can have options for my brother.

Trx25,

The licence is what makes them employable, not the degree. The key for your brother is to guarantee that he gets both the theory and practical and at the end of the course they will "guarantee" he holds a EASA B1/B2. Some courses are very good and have arrangements where students will be guarantee the experience in order to get the licence. Others just do the theory and leave it up to the student to gain a place, that is undesirable.

There are fewer Electrical/Avionics B1/B2 holders, and aircraft are getting more computerised, there is higher demand for them.

If someone holds both a B1 & B2 they are very employable (as long as they are willing to move for work and do shift work), 4 years is very quick. Keep in mind the B1/B2 is the base licence, he will still need to do "type ratings", that is aircraft specific courses that get added to the B1/B2.

If a degree is that important, they can always do a related B.Sc degree after the course and get the credit of the B1/B2 towards that.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Dalmd88

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Here in the US many AMT's don't have degrees. If they do, most have a two year Associates of Sci. I've got a Bach, but I really never use it and have zero desire to move up into management. It was an option for me when I got my A&P so I did it. I knew once I finished school I wouldn't have much drive to go back and add it later.

strfyr51

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
Here in the US many AMT's don't have degrees. If they do, most have a two year Associates of Sci. I've got a Bach, but I really never use it and have zero desire to move up into management. It was an option for me when I got my A&P so I did it. I knew once I finished school I wouldn't have much drive to go back and add it later.

I hear you,
I got my Degree from San Jose State (Cal State San Jose California) because that's the ONLY way I could get my Daughter to strive for Hers and it worked.
My daughter and I Both hold BS degrees In Aviation Maintenance Technology with minors in Business.
Except I still work in the field and her degree is in being a mother to my Grandchildren. (she's no longer n the field. But still has her License)

TNST3B

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:53 am

As somebody in a 4 year engineer program I find that the title of engineer has multiple meanings. When I think of an engineer I think of a person who applies theory to make or ensure implementation a design. It can also mean one who carries out the actual work, such as an A&P. It sounds like their definition of an engineer is more similar to an A&P.

Tristarsteve

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm

There will always be a problem with the word Engineer. In the UK the newspapers call the man who fixes your washing machine an engineer! But those of us who hold spanners and work on the aircraft are called LAE (Licensed Aircraft Engineer) by the CAA. The word technician is getting more common but not outside the business.
In the UK the license allows you to work on and certify the aircraft, but if later on in life you decide to go and work in the offices, then you need some sort of degree to hold that position. I had both, degree and Licence at age 23, but I stayed on the tools all my life. Never quite fancied the idea of 9-5!

strfyr51

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:31 am

I guess being an engineer with an A&P is pretty good. but the Non-Maintenance office jobs at an airline at least are not that plentiful.
Being an Engineer is respected but it won't teach you and more about systems than being on the airplane. I work in Maintenance control and systems is pretty much all I do but I do not hold a degree in Engineering. I troubleshoot and do research of problems histories and such and I write directives fpr chronic items and Monitor the Health of my assigned Fleet I interface With the engineers on occasion. but I an Not an engineer.. But I DO have the FAA come in and sit with me from time to time and I'm heavily monitored.