climbing230
Topic Author

Meal(s) / Catering Related

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 am

Hello from Hyderabad.Following are my questions:

1.I wanted to know the quantity of meals / catering is uplifted , given the flight is close to full.
2.What would happen if the passenger spills his/her food all over and again requests for another meal tray.Is this possible? if yes then how many extra-meals both vegetarian / non-vegetarian SPML etc.. are accounted for in a situation like this ?is it the same for business and first class also,if something of that sort takes place?
3.Sometimes a passenger may be a vegetarian but then the crew is running short of veg meals.

- Regards
Pramod :)
Myself + Planes = FRIENDS :)

Starlionblue

Re: Meal(s) / Catering Related

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:10 am

climbing230 wrote:
Hello from Hyderabad.Following are my questions:

1.I wanted to know the quantity of meals / catering is uplifted , given the flight is close to full.
2.What would happen if the passenger spills his/her food all over and again requests for another meal tray.Is this possible? if yes then how many extra-meals both vegetarian / non-vegetarian SPML etc.. are accounted for in a situation like this ?is it the same for business and first class also,if something of that sort takes place?
3.Sometimes a passenger may be a vegetarian but then the crew is running short of veg meals.

- Regards
Pramod :)

1. Don't know.
2. AFAIK no vegetarian or other special meals are loaded unless they are pre-requested..
3. If you're a vegetarian or have other special dietary requests, you should request one of the several meal options that most airlines have available. This will ensure there's a meal "with your name on it."
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

zkncj

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:19 am

Starlionblue wrote:
3. If you're a vegetarian or have other special dietary requests, you should request one of the several meal options that most airlines have available. This will ensure there's a meal "with your name on it."

Depending on airline - some airlines in Y will have Meat/Vege option as there two mains e.g. LH,LX,QF all tend to have an vege option as there main.

BawliBooch

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:11 am

At a "full service" national airline here in India:
1. For economy class meals: A standard form request goes out to the caterer around 3 days in advance listing the flights departing from the station which need to be catered and how many meals of each category need to be uploaded per flight. AVML, HNML etc. Since India has vastly varying dietary practices, Veg Meals are further broken up into South Indian Veg and North Indian Veg - especially for breakfast flights to and from Southern India. A special algorithm is used to track the consumption patterns on various flights which helps the planners determine how many North Indian/South Indian Veg meals to upload and how many Non-Veg Meals. Extra meals of each category are uploaded based on historical trend analysis.

2. Special Meal requests are sent a day in advance to the caterer. With this airline, Special Meal requests other than DBML made this late are rarely executed except out of DEL. I think the airline has made a practice of uploading atleast a couple of DBML meals on every flight just in case.

3. Airlines can use more than one caterer. For the airline in question, they use Taj-SATS Catering for what they designate as Tier-1 routes and ChefAir for Tier-II routes - a factor of cost.

EZEflyerEMB

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am

Generally airlines will cater for 100% of the aircraft capacity plus extras totalling around 3/5% and the crew meals. Meat/vege will be a mix of 70/30 however this is variable depending on the carrier and the O & D

Special meals are not duplicated when 1 Is ordered 1 is loaded.

If you happen to a be a vegetarian its best to mention this to the crew who may allocate a meal to you, however, crew are not obliged to do this if you did not pre order. So it is always best to pre order, as I am required to do even as a crew member due to my allergy.