AirbusA322
Topic Author

Highest Paid Airline Pilots?

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:22 am

I'm curious. I was reading an article the other day about some Pilots in the USA working two jobs to make ends meet, and other pieces from Australian Pilots earning substantial pay checks namely Qantas and Virgin Australia. I understand China is now a very attractive market for Pilots from around the world.

Having a look at a few company agreements, I couldn't find many more higher.

Qantas A380 Captain $400,000Aud+
Virgin Australia 777 Captain $350,000Aud+
Add 20% to those for check captains.

Why Aussie Pilots paid so high? Second Officers for both above companies earn more than USA captains.

jbmitt

Re: Highest Paid Airline Pilots?

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am

Exchange rates play into things. The USD to AUD is about 1:1.33

So $400,000 AUD is really only $300,000 USD

For topped out captains, pay is comparable. What you read probably has to do more with entry level regional jet pilots. Pay for them has been poor, but slowly improving. It should be in the $40k and up range these days.

zeke

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:
Why Aussie Pilots paid so high? Second Officers for both above companies earn more than USA captains.

That is simply not true, have a look at the enterprise barging agreements for airlines in Australia you will not find salary levels you are talking about.

I think a Qantas second officer starts off at around ausmd$40,000 (about US$30,000) and once qualified their pay increases based upon the type of aircraft they fly and the flying they do.

The cost of living in Australia is also more expensive than the states.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

keesje

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07 pm

I have the impression european legacy carrier VLA captains 50+ yrs old, are doing ok in general.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

jfk777

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 pm

777 Captains at the US3 have to be close to $300,000 USD, 20 years ago 744 captains were at $200K. With all the recent wage deals between the airlines and their labor groups having large increases.

VSMUT

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:28 pm

keesje wrote:
I have the impression european legacy carrier VLA captains 50+ yrs old, are doing ok in general.

OK is a bit of an understatement for those guys...

The ME3 are quite high, but the highest I've heard of is for expat captains in China. There is a reason why the salary is so high though, you have to put up with an extraordinary amount of crap. The salary is probably the only real attractive part of it.

anshabhi

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Among Indian Airlines, I could find this:

Now a IndiGo first officer will get Rs 2.61 lakh monthly for flying his stipulated 50 hours. He can get Rs 3.3 lakh if he flies for 90 hours. A senior first officer will get Rs 3.75 lakh for 70 hours of flying which can go up to Rs 4.3 lakh if he does 90 hours. A captain will get Rs 6.01 lakh for 70 hours and over Rs 7 lakh for 90 hours.

http://www.economictimes.com/industry/t ... 947848.cms

At ₹7 lakh/pm it means almost $130,000 per year. In 2014, world Bank's PPP factor for India was 0.277 which means $130,000 in US is equal to $130,000/0.277 = $469,000 in India.
Further, AI widebody captains earn upto ₹10 lakh per month or $190,000 per year in India, which is equal to $190,000/0.277 = $686,000 in US.

PPP factor source: http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/india/p ... ion-factor

Complete list of PPP conversion factors: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/PA.NUS.PPPC.RF
Last edited by anshabhi on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skyhawkmatthew

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm

zeke wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

I think a Qantas second officer starts off at around ausmd$40,000 (about US$30,000) and once qualified their pay increases based upon the type of aircraft they fly and the flying they do.

That "starting pay" is only very brief during initial type rating, though. Once checked out it is $90-200k depending on fleet, flying and contract – not all that different to CX.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:10 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:

Start here for (Delta, in this link) hourly pay scales by type. APC has data for other U.S. carriers, too. Yes, please do exchange rate conversions.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... _air_lines

AirPacific747

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:35 pm

ME3 salaries are only good, because the salary is tax free. Most European legacy airlines would be paying higher gross salaries.

GuyBetsy1

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Australian taxes are kinda high...

oldannyboy

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
ME3 salaries are only good, because the salary is tax free. Most European legacy airlines would be paying higher gross salaries.

"Gross" means fairly little in Europe parlance, because of said (mandatory) [and HIGH!] taxation. You receive your salary 'pre-emptied' of your monthly slice of yearly taxes (based on income), so it's the NET that matters and that should be looked at when comparing figures.

The salary variations between European countries are pretty drastically high. You can easily find first officers struggling to make 2000Euros net per month, and at the other end of the spectrum end-of-line long-haul captains making in excess of 25.000Euros a month (ok, not many these days..).

In the US I've met 'junior' (by seniority, not age..) first officers flying for regionals who were struggling to make $1500 net (after tax) per month and were on food coupons and welfare.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
In the US I've met 'junior' (by seniority, not age..) first officers flying for regionals who were struggling to make $1500 net (after tax) per month and were on food coupons and welfare.

Fortunately the respectable regionals have gotten away from this. It's not uncommon to make 50K or more a year now as a first year FO at a place that has responded to the current hiring environment.
From my cold, dead hands

longhauler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

A lot of it is a balance as well ... how much do you actually have to work to make those numbers?

I make $250K a year, working nine days a month. I get two months vacation a year and my profit sharing cheque this year (not included in the 250K) is enough to buy a new Lariat FX4. (But I won't, because that's what I used last year's profit sharing cheque for!).

I have close friends that fly for Emirates. They make much more than I do, working basically twice as much as I do. Is it worth it? It's all a balance.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

zeke

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm

skyhawkmatthew wrote:
That "starting pay" is only very brief during initial type rating, though. Once checked out it is $90-200k depending on fleet, flying and contract – not all that different to CX.

Sorry you are not going to receive a SALARY of AUD$200k as a second officer with Qantas or CX. The salary for a second officer at CX is between US$60-90k per year in one of the most expensive places on earth to live.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

AirPacific747

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 pm

longhauler wrote:
A lot of it is a balance as well ... how much do you actually have to work to make those numbers?

I make $250K a year, working nine days a month. I get two months vacation a year and my profit sharing cheque this year (not included in the 250K) is enough to buy a new Lariat FX4. (But I won't, because that's what I used last year's profit sharing cheque for!).

I have close friends that fly for Emirates. They make much more than I do, working basically twice as much as I do. Is it worth it? It's all a balance.

I also have friends in Emirates (personally know two 777 skippers.) They make nowhere near what you said that your friends do. It's closer to what you claim you earn, but significantly less. But then it's tax free.

EDIT:

And to support my above statement, I'm referring to Emirates' own website and the highest entry level captain salary:

http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... efits.aspx

Captain: 42,695 AED per month (entry level 1)
Captain: 47,265 AED per month (entry level 2)
First Officer: 30,125 AED per month (entry level 1)
First Officer: 35,080 AED per month (entry level 2)

That translates to around USD 156,000 per year for a entry level 2 captain.

With your salary, you probably have the best paid pilot job on the planet ;-)

winginit

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 pm

longhauler wrote:

That's all well and good, but your profile says you're 54 years old so are clearly approaching the tail end of your career and have likely been doing this for 20-30 years. Assuming you took the traditional path and started out on RJs in the FO seat, I'd be curious as to what your average salary was over the course of your career.

AirPacific747

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 pm

winginit wrote:
That's all well and good, but your profile says you're 54 years old so are clearly approaching the tail end of your career and have likely been doing this for 20-30 years. Assuming you took the traditional path and started out on RJs in the FO seat, I'd be curious as to what your average salary was over the course of your career.

Not only that, but even those "golden age pilots" also have to work 700-900 hours per year these days, even if they are working for the best legacy carriers in the world. That doesn't translate to 9 days of work per month but around double that.

Unless you are on a part time contract of course, but then you won't get anywhere near 250k a year.
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyby519

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

Start here for (Delta, in this link) hourly pay scales by type. APC has data for other U.S. carriers, too. Yes, please do exchange rate conversions.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... _air_lines

Delta has Captains who have been with the company less than 1yr. At 2yr MD88 CA pay they are around $200k. And that's the very bottom Captain. $250k is common for a mid seniority narrowbody CA.

But FedEx pilots take the cake as highest paid Part 121 pilots
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... ex_express
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

readytotaxi

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:07 pm

longhauler wrote:

As the gentleman says, it is all about balance.
If you don't know when you are happy with your lot, you are doomed. Someone says you should earn for that work but you are happy doing it, carry on. There is no one standard for happiness,Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being defined by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.
Just my :twocents: worth. :bouncy:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

rmilstre

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:18 pm

longhauler wrote:

Interesting contrast to me: I'm a 50 year old senior technical engineer at a well-known electronics firm. My base is around $150K, working 12 hr/day, 21 days/mo (or so). I get 1 month of vacation. My profit sharing check is pretty nice, but would buy a Focus, not a loaded F-150. On the plus side, I get to see my kids every day.

Am I jealous? No. I have plenty to put food on the table and support the various social activities the family enjoys. Safe flying! :-)
-R

Ferroviarius

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Good evening,
this is an interesting subject.

I have, for comparison purposes, just checked on the internet, what a UP locomotive engineer will earn, and according to the site I visited the real pay scales from about 53,000.-$ a year to about 125,000.-$ a year. I am not sure about the qualification demands to become a UP locomotive engineer. However, controlling a train consisting of hundreds of tank cars filled with gas, and possibly via a line running via a densely populated area, doubtlessly means having an enormous responsibility.

Best wishes,
Ferroviarius

longhauler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:06 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Not only that, but even those "golden age pilots" also have to work 700-900 hours per year these days, even if they are working for the best legacy carriers in the world. That doesn't translate to 9 days of work per month but around double that.

Unless you are on a part time contract of course, but then you won't get anywhere near 250k a year.

I work an 80-85 hour month. That is over 960 paid hours a year. (As I said, with two month paid vacation a year, paid at 80-85 hours a month). Imagine three trips a month, YYZ-HND-YYZ (or TLV, or DEL, or DXB), etc etc etc ... there's your 9 days a month. Or, even better, I could work 8 days a month YYZ-SFO-YYZ and get 80-85 hours a month and be home every night!

It's not hard to do.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

longhauler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 pm

winginit wrote:

You are absolutely right. And rest assured, the big numbers you see quoted above from all countries/airlines, are not new hires! ;)

I worked the normal career progression. My first year of over $100K was the third year of my career ... almost 25 years ago! Then the balance starts ... large vs small aircraft, left vs. right seat, etc. Look at my airline, and my seniority, I could make about $225K as an A320 Captain and be home every night, or $285K as a Triple Captain and work 10-18 days a month.

Funny you should note that I am nearing the end of my career. You again, are right. When I retire at age 60, my pension will be about $150-160K a year. That is something one also has to take into account when balancing remuneration or comparing salaries.

ExDubai

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
longhauler wrote:

I also have friends in Emirates (personally know two 777 skippers.) They make nowhere near what you said that your friends do. It's closer to what you claim you earn, but significantly less. But then it's tax free.

EDIT:

And to support my above statement, I'm referring to Emirates' own website and the highest entry level captain salary:

You have to add the free housing, school allowance and the provident fund.
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

longhauler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

A few things to consider ...

First of all, when talking with my collegues at Emirates we are talking and comparing take-home pay. In Canada, I am paying about a 35-38% tax rate, provincial and federal. As you state, in some circumstances their pilots are tax free. Also, I pay about $3500 a month into my pension plan. Yeah, pension ... let's talk pension. As I state above, mine will be about $150-160K a year starting at age 60. (Higher if I go to 65, but again, it's all about balance ... I am going at 60).

Secondly, I am talking Canadian dollars. It has been higher than US dollars in the past, now it is less. As all of my expenses are paid in Canadian dollars, I see no reason to compare it to USD, Euros, rupees or whatever currency you prefer.

Lastly, although, it is not what I fly, I am paid A330 pay. (long story and not relevant). At my airline, I am about middle of the pack for pay among wide-body Captains.

The main point I am making though, as pilot salaries are a world wide metric, it is very hard to compare or even find the "Highest Paid Airline Pilots".

AirPacific747

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 pm

ExDubai wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
longhauler wrote:

EDIT:

Yes of course. I'm not saying that Emirates doesn't offer an attractive package, just making it clear that their pay scale is nowhere near 500k (Canadian) dollars per year for captains.

longhauler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:56 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Yes of course. I'm not saying that Emirates doesn't offer an attractive package, just making it clear that their pay scale is nowhere near 500k (Canadian) dollars per year for captains.

I didn't say Emirates pilots make twice as much as me, as you point out ... they don't. But, they do work twice as many days a month, (and more) as I do.

ExDubai

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:05 pm

longhauler wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

I didn't say Emirates pilots make twice as much as me, as you point out ... they don't. But, they do work twice as many days a month, (and more) as I do.

That's the reason why they struggle to find expierenced pilots. The rosters on the "traktor" are a nightmare.

AirPacific747

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:07 pm

longhauler wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Okay, sorry I misunderstood you then. Yeah, most airline pilots these days work close to 900 hours per year in order for the airlines to stay competitive with everyone else in the industry. At least in Europe.

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:08 pm

Regarding Australia in particular, realise that the AUD long term average is about 0.70 AUD to 1 USD. It has been as high as 1.08 and as low as 0.50. At 50c a $400,000 salary is $200,000 USD whereas at the high end it is almost $450,000 USD. Obviously when the AUD is low QF and VA have very competitive labor costs against US3/EU3 whereas when the AUD is high then QF probably does have the highest paid pilots in the world when expressed in USD.

Unsurprisingly the unions at QF and VA will never accept a 20% pay cut just because the AUD has appreciated, so the airlines just have to stick it out and sometimes get a labour cost holiday and sometimes face punishingly high labour costs. Note though that the darkest days at Qantas were during period 2010-2013 when the AUD was at or above parity with the USD. That isn't a coincidence. Not just labour, pretty much their entire cost base went up while their foreign revenue went down due to the curency fluctuations.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

skyhawkmatthew

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:55 am

zeke wrote:
skyhawkmatthew wrote:

Sorry you are not going to receive a SALARY of AUD$200k as a second officer with Qantas or CX. The salary for a second officer at CX is between US$60-90k per year in one of the most expensive places on earth to live.

There are definitely senior QF SOs approaching AU$200k, and as a 777 SO at CX you can easily make over US$100,000 a year with the typical overtime.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

zeke

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:08 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding Australia in particular, realise that the AUD long term average is about 0.70 AUD to 1 USD.

The 25 year average is more like 75 cents, overseas sales normally work in favour of QF with the lower dollar (like most Australian exporters). Dollar goes to high, people stop visiting, they see better value elsewhere.

RyanairGuru wrote:
Obviously when the AUD is low QF and VA have very competitive labor costs against US3/EU3 whereas when the AUD is high then QF probably does have the highest paid pilots in the world when expressed in USD.

You just cannot make comparisons like that its got to do with the buying power you have when all taxes are paid for. Australian tax is very high compared to the middle east or america.

Compare 3 salaries of USD$200,000 in Australia (AUD$265000), UAE, and USA

US$200,000 USD = AUD$265000, after paying tax of $100,000 tax you are left with AUD$165,000, that is USD$125,000 USD. A salary in the US of that amount being head of the house you would have USD$145,000 after tax, in a country where the cost of living is lower than Australia. And lastly, the UAE, the salary is tax free, often accommodation and utilities are paid for, it has the highest take home pay of USD$200,000.

RyanairGuru wrote:
Unsurprisingly the unions at QF and VA will never accept a 20% pay cut just because the AUD has appreciated, so the airlines just have to stick it out and sometimes get a labour cost holiday and sometimes face punishingly high labour costs. .

Labour costs are smaller than other costs normally around 10-15% of the DOC, with a high AUD their biggest cost around 60% of the DOC, being fuel would have become 20% less.

Flighty

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:43 am

longhauler wrote:
winginit wrote:

You are absolutely right. And rest assured, the big numbers you see quoted above from all countries/airlines, are not new hires! ;)

I worked the normal career progression. My first year of over $100K was the third year of my career ... almost 25 years ago! Then the balance starts ... large vs small aircraft, left vs. right seat, etc. Look at my airline, and my seniority, I could make about $225K as an A320 Captain and be home every night, or $285K as a Triple Captain and work 10-18 days a month.

Funny you should note that I am nearing the end of my career. You again, are right. When I retire at age 60, my pension will be about $150-160K a year. That is something one also has to take into account when balancing remuneration or comparing salaries.

Cheers to your success. That pension is enormously valuable, and in truth it adds around 100k to your annual compensation (and always has since day one). You are at the mighty end of the working classes... well done sir. This reminds me I really need to be making more money and surfing a.net less. Thanks for that.

ExDubai

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:05 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
ExDubai wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

EDIT:

I'd discribe the EK package as "average".

AirPacific747

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:17 pm

ExDubai wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
ExDubai wrote:

Well both yes and no. If EK was an airline in Europe, it would be second to none in terms of free housing, and top notch education for all your children, etc. Salary wise it would be average due to high taxation in many parts of Europe.

Out of the ME3, I believe EK offers the least attractive package, with Qatar offering the highest salaries and Etihad on a close second based on what I've heard from people who work in those airlines.

Worldwide, I believe you can earn the most money in China, especially as a captain.

Calder

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm

While we're on the topic of aviation related wages, I suppose I'll throw my hat in the ring as a young guy in airport admin.

I just got a title bump earlier this year to Airport Director!

However, I'm still the only employee of a small GA airport on the tax-payers dime.

$32.5K a year, 3 weeks paid vacation, and damn good health insurance +pension contributions.

Currently 26 years old, and I'm 2 months short of 4 years employment.
C. T.

Starlionblue

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:46 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
ExDubai wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Well both yes and no. If EK was an airline in Europe, it would be second to none in terms of free housing, and top notch education for all your children, etc. Salary wise it would be average due to high taxation in many parts of Europe.

Out of the ME3, I believe EK offers the least attractive package, with Qatar offering the highest salaries and Etihad on a close second based on what I've heard from people who work in those airlines.

Worldwide, I believe you can earn the most money in China, especially as a captain.

Well put. It is essential to compare apples to apples. If two people make the same pre-tax amount, but one works in Germany and the other in HK, their net pay will very different. The one living in HK would get more after tax but on the other hand housing is much more in HK so what are you left with? In other words, the salary number by itself is not very useful. You have to consider the whole package.
- What is take-home pay after taxes?
- What is the pension like, if any?
- What is the cost of housing?
- What is the cost and quality of children's education?
- What is the cost of commuting if applicable?

Beyond that, it goes into intangibles concerning quality of life. Some people love living in place x. Some hate it. The same goes for a spouse. If you love place x but you have to commute because your spouse takes the kids "back home", that impacts both your quality of life and your income. Also, what are your job protections, etc, etc...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo