Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DrPaul
Topic Author

Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I live near Heathrow, and I have noticed that on several occasions Boeing 787s have not retracted their landing gear until they are a good 10 miles out and around 2000 to 3000 feet high. This has happened too many times for it to be an accident. Does anyone know why this happens?

I have also noted that several of the British Airways 787s do not use the strobes on the rear fuselage. Again, I have seen this happen repeatedly with the same planes, and so doesn't seem to be accidental. This is not case with other airlines' 787s. Any ideas?

jakubz

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:04 pm

This thread might have an answer for you.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1346241

SaveFerris

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 am

Bitter pilots trying to negate the fuel savings of a more efficient airplane? Kidding...the two main reasons I can think of for leaving the gear down for an extended period of time is to help assist in brake cooling or to help remove comtaminats (snow, slush, etc.) from the gear before retraction.

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Bitter pilots trying to negate the fuel savings of a more efficient airplane? Kidding...the two main reasons I can think of for leaving the gear down for an extended period of time is to help assist in brake cooling or to help remove comtaminats (snow, slush, etc.) from the gear before retraction.

Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.

jakubz

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.

How long does that usually take?

SaveFerris

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:52 pm

jakubz wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up in our MEL and it was two minutes from takeoff until you can retract the gear.

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:23 am

SaveFerris wrote:
jakubz wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up in our MEL and it was two minutes from takeoff until you can retract the gear.

Makes a hell of an aerodynamic noise during those two minutes :D

jakubz

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 am

SaveFerris wrote:
jakubz wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Thank you! I wouldn't have known to look there.

ojjunior

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Just hate those non-blinking strobes and beacon lights on the 787 familiy... :banghead: :grumpy:

FrmrKSEngr

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:24 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Just hate those non-blinking strobes and beacon lights on the 787 familiy... :banghead: :grumpy:

I don't like that they blink in unison. Looks like a cheap Hollywood special effects model when on approach. All the mini lights on the model are on he same circuit.