User avatar
DrPaul
Topic Author
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I live near Heathrow, and I have noticed that on several occasions Boeing 787s have not retracted their landing gear until they are a good 10 miles out and around 2000 to 3000 feet high. This has happened too many times for it to be an accident. Does anyone know why this happens?

I have also noted that several of the British Airways 787s do not use the strobes on the rear fuselage. Again, I have seen this happen repeatedly with the same planes, and so doesn't seem to be accidental. This is not case with other airlines' 787s. Any ideas?
 
jakubz
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:04 pm

This thread might have an answer for you.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1346241
KORD > RJAA > KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787-8
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.
 
User avatar
SaveFerris
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 am

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 am

Bitter pilots trying to negate the fuel savings of a more efficient airplane? Kidding...the two main reasons I can think of for leaving the gear down for an extended period of time is to help assist in brake cooling or to help remove comtaminats (snow, slush, etc.) from the gear before retraction.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 17632
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Bitter pilots trying to negate the fuel savings of a more efficient airplane? Kidding...the two main reasons I can think of for leaving the gear down for an extended period of time is to help assist in brake cooling or to help remove comtaminats (snow, slush, etc.) from the gear before retraction.


Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
jakubz
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Bitter pilots trying to negate the fuel savings of a more efficient airplane? Kidding...the two main reasons I can think of for leaving the gear down for an extended period of time is to help assist in brake cooling or to help remove comtaminats (snow, slush, etc.) from the gear before retraction.


Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.


How long does that usually take?
KORD > RJAA > KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787-8
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.
 
User avatar
SaveFerris
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 am

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:52 pm

jakubz wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Bitter pilots trying to negate the fuel savings of a more efficient airplane? Kidding...the two main reasons I can think of for leaving the gear down for an extended period of time is to help assist in brake cooling or to help remove comtaminats (snow, slush, etc.) from the gear before retraction.


Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.


How long does that usually take?


You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up in our MEL and it was two minutes from takeoff until you can retract the gear.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 17632
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:23 am

SaveFerris wrote:
jakubz wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.


How long does that usually take?


You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up in our MEL and it was two minutes from takeoff until you can retract the gear.


Makes a hell of an aerodynamic noise during those two minutes :D
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
jakubz
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 am

SaveFerris wrote:
jakubz wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Third reason is if a brake is inop and you need to let the gear spin down before retraction.


How long does that usually take?


You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up in our MEL and it was two minutes from takeoff until you can retract the gear.


Thank you! I wouldn't have known to look there.
KORD > RJAA > KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787-8
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Just hate those non-blinking strobes and beacon lights on the 787 familiy... :banghead: :grumpy:
 
FrmrKSEngr
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 am

Re: Boeing 787 — Landing Gear and Strobes Questions

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:24 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Just hate those non-blinking strobes and beacon lights on the 787 familiy... :banghead: :grumpy:


I don't like that they blink in unison. Looks like a cheap Hollywood special effects model when on approach. All the mini lights on the model are on he same circuit.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos