Jalbert
Topic Author

787 Large Motor Controllers

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 am

Hi all.
Can anyone give a brief explanation of these.I am told they are "like large liquid cooled TRUs".
However they seem a bit more manly than that given they're dedicated to the heavy 270 volt loads?
Thanks in advance.

BravoOne

Re: 787 Large Motor Controllers

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:38 pm

These are liquid cooled through the Power Electronics Cooling System, better known as the PECS system. Pronounced PEECEEs. It is part of the Integrated Cooling System.

The Large Motor Distribution System handles the large loads and it uses a 235Vac electrical power supply. Frankly the system is very complicated and way beyond the average pilots electrical system knowledge so consequently you just accept the fact that it works and forget trying building the system, much less explaining it in detail. Even the Boeing FCOM does not go into detail on this subject.

7BOEING7

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:18 pm

BravoOne wrote:
These are liquid cooled through the Power Electronics Cooling System, better known as the PECS system. Pronounced PEECEEs.

Never heard that one -- always heard them called "pecks".

airmagnac

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm

These equipment are power electronics, their main role is to modulate the power supply to the high power electric motors depending on current operational needs and environment, and deliver the required load without wasting power.

If you wish to research on the web, and insofar as no specialized architecture is used, the main parts are called IGBTs which can be seen as On/Off switches. They take in an HVDC signal (+-270V DC) and chop it at a frequency of around several kHz. The output signal is called Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) and it's characteristics will tune the motor load.

The efficiency of these things is quite high, it can be in the 90-97% range, but with the high powers involved in such small volumes, even 5% loss as heat can require extensive cooling aids. In this case, a complex liquid cooling system with an exchanger to dump the heat out of the fuselage and into the atmosphere.

The big problem is that these things are sensitive to temperature and humidity, so the, have to be installed in the pressurized fuselage, whereas their loads are usually outside. So the overall physical footprint ends up being much more complex than with the classic bleed or hydraulic power systems.
My goal as an engineer is to fill my soul with coffee and become immortal

WIederling

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:35 am

airmagnac wrote:
The efficiency of these things is quite high, it can be in the 90-97% range, but with the high powers involved in such small volumes, even 5% loss as heat can require extensive cooling aids. In this case, a complex liquid cooling system with an exchanger to dump the heat out of the fuselage and into the atmosphere.

The big problem is that these things are sensitive to temperature and humidity, so the, have to be installed in the pressurized fuselage, whereas their loads are usually outside. So the overall physical footprint ends up being much more complex than with the classic bleed or hydraulic power systems.

You enumerate some of the reasons why I think that Boeing stepped into this one or two generations too early.
Renewables and Automotive are much better drivers for power electronics at the moment.

I expect Power Electronics to gain significantly in efficiency and robustness, reliability, form factor and environmental demand.

Lots of things that Boeing is learning to cope with now will not be in demand for those next generation products.

( all the Power Conversion and Motor Drive stuff leverages the basics of industrial VFD designs.)
Murphy is an optimist

BravoOne

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 pm

7BOEING7 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
These are liquid cooled through the Power Electronics Cooling System, better known as the PECS system. Pronounced PEECEEs.

Never heard that one -- always heard them called "pecks".

You are correct. I was thinking of something else on the L1011. My mistake. Embarrassing as I have passed the quick and dirty FAA oral on this airplane but have touched it in a few years now. Kind hard to believe that the 787 is a Legacy airplane at Boeing these days.