Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Re: The Surprising Reason Why Airplane Seats Don't Align With Windows

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 am

Interesting thanks. I get really annoyed when I don't get a full window, but it makes sense. They are in the business of making money so that is a priority to them - within reason of not having too many customer complaints.

The aircraft I have been on, the window miss thing does not happen that often so I think that they do try, at least Qantas I am referring to here.

Hey, I came across this YouTube channel recently, if you are into facts, this is really good, and fun to watch.

It is sort of funny watching this, and I am not that young, not that old either. Pilots to me are still ex-Air Force, serious, somewhat introverted kind of people, I am talking about the men here!

This guy is young, probably the new breed of post milennial digital age pilot, he even has a lady friend pilot called Maria! LOL. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88tlM ... uhPWyBTn_A,

Captain Joe. The info below taken from the channel:

66,123 subscribers • 2,808,394 views
Joined Sep 24, 2014

Description

If you want find out more about flying, then you have come to right place !!! With my videos I´ll try to give you a closer look into the world of aviation !!! Send in your question and I´ll do my best to include your answer within upcoming videos !!! Enjoy, and remember : DO YOUR BEST, FORGET THE REST !!! Wenn ihr mehr über das Fliegen erfahren möchtet, seid ihr hier genau richtig !!! Mit meinen Videos möchte ich Euch einen besseren Einblick verschaffen in die Welt des Fliegens !!! Schickt mir Eure Fragen und ich werde mein bestmögliches versuchen die Antwort in die folgenden Videos mit einzubinden !!!

diverted

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm

renu wrote:
Have you ever wondered why your airplane seat never quite seems to line up with the nearest window — forever threatening to foil your perfect "I'm about to land on this gorgeous island while you're at work, sucker" photo?

It turns out there's actually a simple explanation — and it's not anything related to the mechanics of aviation, as you might expect.

According to Today I Found Out, which explains everyday phenomena in plain-spoken videos, the seats are arranged however the airlines want after the planes' construction. And airlines care way more about maximizing their profits than they do about your darn view.

"While airplane manufacturers do design the planes with general row positioning and pitch in mind, with the windows often lining up with the seats, the designers’ exact recommended arrangement is rarely, if ever, followed. You see, the final placement of seats is left up to the individual airlines that purchase the plane," the video says.

Planes have multiple tracks on the floors on which the seats mount, which allows them to be moved closer together or farther apart as needed.

"As is readily apparent to anyone who’s flown recently... airlines are increasingly less about the comfort of their customers, who often have little other choice but to take planes for fast, long-distance travel, and more about how much money can be sucked out of each flight," according to the video. "Since passenger seating is the biggest money maker for airlines, they try to cram as many seats, and therefore as many potential customers, as possible on a plane."

So there you have it: You have to crane your neck to look out the window as a matter not of aviation science — but merely of dollars and cents.

New poster, this is their only post. Little clickbaity no? This is an av website, most people here I'd think are well aware that the window spacing won't change as seat pitch/count does. Only exception I can think of is blanked out windows for lavs/galleys etc. but those don't change the window spacing at all, or the seat alignment, merely deleting windows where they aren't necessary. Aside from that, some aircraft have slightly odd window spacing for some seats (737 has a windowless row because of AC ducting, 787 has a windowless row due to the body joint IIRC, as seen here)Image

richcam427

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 am

You should have seen DC-8s in their later years of passenger service. The windows were arranged for 40" seat pitch IIRC, which was reduced to 34" eventually. Ouch.

VSMUT

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 am

diverted wrote:
New poster, this is their only post. Little clickbaity no? This is an av website, most people here I'd think are well aware that the window spacing won't change as seat pitch/count does.

Yeah, I just can't wait for OP's explanation of why the landing gear features wheels that can spin.