CaribClipper
Topic Author

Spoilers in Action right after Takeoff

Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv7loy9lSTs

Video is a perfect example, a lot of action in the spoilers right after rotation as well as early into the climb. I've seen it myself at short runway airports, noise/speed sensitive airports, and airports with plenty of runway no restriction.

Is this purely due to controlling the airplane's speed? Is this done manually by the pilots or automatically by the AP or FMC?

Francoflier

Re: Spoilers in Action right after Takeoff

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:22 pm

This is simply roll control. The spoilers work asymetrically on jets to help the ailerons control your angle of bank.

It has the added benefit of countering the opposing yaw tendency when turning, but the con is that you lose a bit of lift on the lowering wing, which requires the pilots to be careful with applying to much ailerons during xwind takeoffs and landing, especially with an engine out.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

helmat

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Spoilers are not only used to slow the aircraft down they are also used for roll control in flight, for that they only deploy on one side of the wing together with the ailerons. You wouldn't use them to control your speed with the engines at full throttle during the climb, that's done with pitch angle and thrust. Whenever it's windy or low altitude thermals are present they are required to control the aircraft no matter with or without autopilot.

e38

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:12 pm

If you watch the video closely, you will note that the deployment of the spoilers is consistent with deflection of the left aileron, i.e., assist with roll control as previously stated.

e38

KL682

Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 am

As you can see the left ailoron was moving up (pushing the wing down), this is enhanced automatic coordinated partial deployment of the left spoiler, which in fact dumps lift. the right side spoilers will not be used during this movement.