CNForever

RE: Farthest Airport From City Served?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:27 pm

You may include on this list, CNF, that is 45 km far away from Belo Horizonte city center.

Trucker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Chicago Rockford International Airport(RFD)....85 miles from Chicago. Yea, not Chicago's primary or even secondary airport but "Chicago" is included in the name.

N328KF

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Quoting Trucker (Reply 51):
Chicago Rockford International Airport(RFD)....85 miles from Chicago. Yea, not Chicago's primary or even secondary airport but "Chicago" is included in the name.

True enough. And MIL sometimes tries to serve Chicago as well, at about the same distance. However, RFD is usually considered within the bounds of "Chicagoland."
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

airbazar

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 31):
Yeah, but the catchment area for MHT would encompass the northern and western suburbs of Boston, which is pretty substantial in and of itself. During Boston's rush hour, it's probably easier for many than going to BOS.

Techincally Boston has no northern suburbs as it borders the cities of Cambridge and Somerville to the north   If you're speaking of the Merrimack valley where I live (Haverhill-Andover-Lowell), that's true but no one here would call that Boston suburbs. They are cities in their own right and too far removed from Boston. Even I have only used MHT twice because BOS still offers far better fares and options than MHT. Rush hour traffic is equally bad to both (BOS in the AM, and MHT in the PM) and parking at MHT has become fairly expensive over the last couple of years.
But If you're suggesting that people in the towns north and west of Boston such as Wakefield-Woburn-Waltham use MHT I would be very surprised if the numbers are of any relevance given the fact that it is a hike to MHT, traffic is not that easy, parking is equally expensive, and like I said BOS offers cheaper fares and more options. MHT even tried to offer free bus rides from Boston and Woburn at one point and it was discontinued because they were wasting money driving empty buses.

BOAC911

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 7):
I would add VCP to the list as well.

True. Viracopos was Sao Paulo's international airport before GRU opened as an Int'l Airport in 1985. Even though the airport is now primarily a cargo airport, with a few passengers flights by GOL.

normie999

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Vagar (FAE) is approx 35kms from Thorshavn, Faroe Islands. Until 2002 when an undersea tunnel was opened it required a road-ferry-road trip to get from one to the other.

RHITMrB

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:30 pm

How about GRO? Sold by Ryanair as Barcelona, but it's 90km from Barcelona.

seabosdca

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Skybus intended to use BLI, 91 miles (146 km) from downtown Seattle, as the Seattle airport. We saw how well that worked out when they canceled BLI even before they bit the dust for good.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 27):
we may see DCA closed permanently for security reasons.

Will never happen. Too many congresscritters rely on it.

Quoting dutchflyboi (Reply 26):
IAD is about 28 miles from Washington DC

But right in the thick of DC's wealthiest suburbs. It would really be more accurate to label IAD "Tyson's Corner Airport." It's pretty close to the majority of the population it serves.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 53):
Techincally Boston has no northern suburbs as it borders the cities of Cambridge and Somerville to the north

Those are suburbs.  Wink

(I say that as someone who lived on the Cambridge/Somerville line for three years.)

[Edited 2011-04-07 08:49:02]

Trucker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Quoting normie999 (Reply 55):
Vagar (FAE) is approx 35kms from Thorshavn, Faroe Islands. Until 2002 when an undersea tunnel was opened it required a road-ferry-road trip to get from one to the other.

A tunnel to get to this airport rather than a ferry? How much did that cost? It reminds me of the proposed bridge to get to KTN....the infamous bridge to nowhere.

Pe@rson

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting rhitmrb (Reply 56):

How about GRO? Sold by Ryanair as Barcelona, but it's 90km from Barcelona.

No it's not. It is marketed as Girona (Barcelona). Quite different to Barcelona (Girona). Note that FR also has a base at Barcelona itself, and at Reus that it markets as Reus (Barcelona).

[Edited 2011-04-07 08:52:11]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

rampart

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Quoting Surfandsnow (Reply 2):
I believe Lhasa (Tibet) has an airport that is quite a ways from the city itself...

It may be. Similar, Lanzhuo Zhongchuan Airport (LHW), in Gansu province in the central-west part of China, I remember the drive to the city center was interminable, and that without traffic. I looked it up: 70km, 43 miles. As far as I'm concerned, all these suggestions using non-primary airports are bogus. Everyone should focus on primary airports, it's more interesting.

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 5):
Most Tokyo residents use HND if they can (which is still called Tokyo International), and with the opening of international slots, the line between the domestic/international distinction that these airports had in the past is blurring.

I wonder if Narita will become Japan's version of Mirabel.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 17):
Denver is definitely about the most distant in the USA at about 25 Miles from downtown Denver. Very long if snow or other severe weather.

I never perceive it as that bad. A third of the drive is within the airport itself. And around there, long drives across prairie are not considered "long", just typical.

-Rampart

AirbusA6

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Windhoek's main airport WDH is 28miles (45km) out of the city, which is a long was for a city and country's main gateway, especially when there's mainly scrub between it and the city anyway! It's so far out, as the ground nearer the city was too uneven (and flattening it too expensive at the time) apparently.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

BE77

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 18):
GEO Thimeri Georgetown Guyana and PBM Zanderij Paramaribo Suriname are among the farthest airports from city served in the Americas

Yep - and there are no expressways either, so it is a long trip from downtown to either of these - I don't know how many times I've done the 2 am trip to the airport at both of these! Even at 2am it's at least 45 minutes from downtown to the airport - during the day I couldn't imagine the time it would take..

Historically there airports were built up there as (pre) WW2 era bases...out of naval gunnery range and far enough inland to delay any cpmmando type raids long enough to minimise any surprise.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

YYZYYT

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 29):
depends on whether we're using the city's own definition, or the stretch definitions used by Ryanair and Skybus

also, are we comparing secondary and tertiary airports, or the farthest primary airport ? (both NRT and HND should be considered primary)

Flying to HHN and calling it Frankfurt is nearly like flying to SMF and calling it SanFrancisco

flyglobespan used to advertise Hamilton On (YHM) as "Toronto"... that is 42 m or 67 km (direct line to to YTZ)

kgaiflyer

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 27):
at some point, we may see DCA closed permanently for security reasons.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff are already working on it.

DCA is within long walking distance of the Pentagon, and lately off-course aircraft -- with some degree of frequency -- have been straying over the Capital Building and the White House.

kgaiflyer

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Quoting dutchflyboi (Reply 26):
IAD is about 28 miles from Washington DC

But the highways are better than at YYJ which is about the same distance from Victoria BC.

cslusarc

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 53):
Techincally Boston has no northern suburbs as it borders the cities of Cambridge and Somerville to the north If you're speaking of the Merrimack valley where I live (Haverhill-Andover-Lowell), that's true but no one here would call that Boston suburbs. They are cities in their own right and too far removed from Boston.

Although an adjacent municipality may have city charter, you have to look at several other characteristics to determine if it is not a suburb. A suburb is usually culturally dependent on the main city by sharing media outlets like TV stations and newspapers. Is there a flow of workers to main city? I'd say that St Paul, MN is a suburb of Minneapolis but Baltimore is not a suburb of Washington, DC.
--cslusarc from YWG

seabosdca

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 64):

The JCS are powerful, but not nearly as powerful as both parties in Congress working together.

The vast majority of congresspeople fly home to their districts every single weekend. Without DCA, their lives would get significantly more difficult. DCA is not going to close.

southernstar

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Anywhere on the Ryanair map has to be up there.

SASDC8

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 6):
Almost any Ryanair airport!  

My thoughts ecactly 

Torp airport TRF (which FR uses) is about 110 kilometers from Oslo, and they are still called Oslo airport Torp...
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

yenne09

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

The Pontoise-Cromelles-en-Vexin airport, owned by ADP, has been served by Aigle Azur and Debonair. It is 35km from Paris. Also the future airport of Dakar, the Blaise Diagne airport will be 45km from Dakar.

mogandoCI

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

alasdair1982

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

PIK is 32 miles by road from Central Glasgow.

[Edited 2011-04-07 13:35:29]

richardw

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Quoting southernstar (Reply 68):
Anywhere on the Ryanair map has to be up there.

er Biarritz BIQ looks like it is in er Biarritz http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=biq&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

macsog6

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 67):
DCA is not going to close.

Not as long as your friendly congressman can drive over to DCA, park right in front of the terminal in a free parking space, by-pass normal security lines, and get in an upgraded F seat back to the hinderlands. It is too easy for them, they will never let it close.

But back on subject, Trondheim is about 12 miles from the city but can seem much more distant, like DEN, in poor weather.

RNO bills itself as Reno-Tahoe Airport, yet parts of Lake Tahoe are 60 plus miles away.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

IADCA

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:06 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 64):

DCA is within long walking distance of the Pentagon, and lately off-course aircraft -- with some degree of frequency -- have been straying over the Capital Building and the White House.

This is Exhibit A for why we don't let the military and a bunch of single-minded security nannies run everything. If they didn't get it permanently closed after 9/11, it's hard to imagine a situation that would do it.

Also, how many of those off-course aircraft were going to or from DCA? I don't know how familiar you are with the layout, but that - particularly the Capital - would be darn hard to do by accident from a DCA arrival or departure path, at least on 1/19.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 67):
The JCS are powerful, but not nearly as powerful as both parties in Congress working together.

The vast majority of congresspeople fly home to their districts every single weekend. Without DCA, their lives would get significantly more difficult. DCA is not going to close.

Not just the Congresspeople. A fair number of lobbyists fly back to families on weekends, and they have a lot of connections with and influence on Congress, as well as money.

Quoting macsog6 (Reply 74):
Not as long as your friendly congressman can drive over to DCA, park right in front of the terminal in a free parking space, by-pass normal security lines, and get in an upgraded F seat back to the hinderlands. It is too easy for them, they will never let it close.

Not to mention that everybody in DC with access to the Metro can hop a train and be there quickly too. People seem to forget that DCA is a business destination, and not just for Congressmen. There are a lot of interests with a lot of money that use the airport. They stand to lose time and money if it closes. Hence, they will lobby to have it open.

As for the topic at hand, it might make more sense if it were measured by travel time than distance. That's part of the IAD problem: at bad times, it can take well over an hour to get there from even the closest parts of DCA. As for distant ones, most of the usual suspects have been named: DEN, IAH, etc in the US, NRT and ICN in Asia, and most of Ryanair's destination airports. Some others are sneakily far by road, but are easy by other means (i.e., HKG, which is a long drive from the island, but 25 mins on the train).

[Edited 2011-04-07 17:18:32]

kgaiflyer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 75):
I don't know how familiar you are with the layout, but that - particularly the Capital - would be darn hard to do by accident from a DCA arrival or departure path, at least on 1/19.

I guess I'll find out in five hours. I'm ticketed on CO-559 DCA-IAH at 6am.

2travel2know2

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:38 pm

There's quite an interesting case with airports on islands which happen to be quite far from the major urban centres, often little attention is paid to this as it's quite common to list the destination not by the city where the airport is located on an island but by the island name.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

nycflyer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:51 pm

DAM is a real hike. I looked it up and it's only 18 miles, so not as far as it seemed when I cabbed it there, but you drive through NOTHING to get there, which begs the question, why it is so far away.

KBP is also 18 miles away from Kiev. Yes, these aren't as far as some of the others cited, but here too, the airport seems farther away than it needs to be. There is not much between the airport and city.

Also, ROB (Roberts International Airport in Monrovia, Liberia) is 35 miles outside of town.

Viscount724

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Qamdo Bangda airport (BPX) in China (Tibet) is about 126 km/78 miles by a winding mountain road from the city it serves (Qamdo). I believe it's also currently the world's highest airport at 14,219 ft. ASL and has the world's longest commercial runway (18,045 ft.) although in Google Maps it looks like several thousand feet are closed, but it's still roughly 14,000 ft. Not sure how old the Google photo is.

Air China operates 6 A319s a week to BPX, 5 from Chengdu (CTU) and one from Lhasa (LXA).

andz

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:32 am

BSL EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg is 79km from the centre of Freiburg.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

tepidhalibut

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Quoting alasdair1982 (Reply 72):
PIK is 32 miles by road from Central Glasgow.

Yes, but were you aware of this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2006/feb/09/post71

400 miles !!!

GBRandSYCguy

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:06 pm

This might have already been mentioned but except for LCY all the airports that uses London in their names e.g; LHR, LGW, LTN etc...are all actually outside the county of Greater London. Most significantly London Heathrow is actually in Middlessex not Greater London and London Gatwick is 44km / 28 miles from central London in the southern county of West Sussex. Even MAN is partially in the county of Greater Manchester and partly in Cheshire but I suppose distance is not an issue for most of these airports.

Viscount724

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Quoting GBRandSYCguy (Reply 82):
This might have already been mentioned but except for LCY all the airports that uses London in their names e.g; LHR, LGW, LTN etc...are all actually outside the county of Greater London. Most significantly London Heathrow is actually in Middlessex not Greater London and London Gatwick is 44km / 28 miles from central London in the southern county of West Sussex.

Don't forget the renamed London Oxford (OXF), about 100 km/62 miles from central LON, and London Southend (SEN), 68 km/42 mi.
http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/
http://www.southendairport.com/

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:54 am

As someone who lives a reasonable drive from LAX, this thread amuses me as quite a few want PMD to become the next LA airport.   

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 9):
HHN 75MI 120KM

Wow! I hadn't realized it was that far...

Quoting Filipair (Reply 41):
Ryanair markets Vatry Airport (XCR) as "Paris Vatry (Disney)." The airport itself is approximately 150 km/95 miles away from central Paris.

Putting the name Paris in XCR's title is... presumptive. I think there should be some regulation as to what airports are called. I propose 100km as the geographic limit to share a city's name.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

N328KF

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

What about Ketchikan? To get to the airport there, you have to get on a boat!  
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

BAViscount

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Most significantly London Heathrow is actually in Middlessex not Greater London

Strictly speaking that's not true. LHR is actually in the London Borough of Hillingdon, one of the 32 boroughs that make up Greater London.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

Viscount724

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 85):
What about Ketchikan? To get to the airport there, you have to get on a boat!

Also Prince Rupert, British Columbia (YPR), and Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (formerly City Centre Airport (YTZ) adjacent to downtown Toronto, used by Porter Airlines. That must be one of the shortest ferry trips in the world.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 78):
DAM is a real hike. I looked it up and it's only 18 miles, so not as far as it seemed when I cabbed it there, but you drive through NOTHING to get there, which begs the question, why it is so far away.

A terrain issue perhaps? IQQ is about 40 km from downtown because that's the closest flat space that is large enough for an airport - and like the drive to DAM that you mention, that drive goes through a whole lot of nothing.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

shamrock604

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:10 am

This might have already been mentioned but except for LCY all the airports that uses London in their names e.g; LHR, LGW, LTN etc...are all actually outside the county of Greater London. Most significantly London Heathrow is actually in Middlessex not Greater London

Completely untrue.

Middlesex doesnt even exist anymore, its territory being divvied up between Greater London and Surrey.

LHR is in Hillingdon, and partly Hounslow which are both boroughs of Greater London, and also extends into Surrey at its western (T5) end.

So LHR is just as much London as LCY, despite what the latter's marketing team would have you believe.

xavier2511

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:16 am

(PBM/SMJP) is about 41KM (25MI) from Paramaribo.
(GEO/SYCJ) is about 35KM (22MI) from Georgetown.

Xavier

BAViscount

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 89):
LHR is in Hillingdon, and partly Hounslow which are both boroughs of Greater London, and also extends into Surrey at its western (T5) end.

That's pretty much what I said! 
Quoting BAViscount (Reply 86):
Strictly speaking that's not true. LHR is actually in the London Borough of Hillingdon, one of the 32 boroughs that make up Greater London.

Although Middlesex doesn't exist as a county any more it can still be used as a postal address. I live a few miles from Staines, which a lot of people still refer to as "Staines, Middlesex" even though it's now officially in Surrey and has been since 1965 when Middlesex was officially disbanded. But yes, as has already been said, LHR is still predominantly in the London Borough of Hillingdon, making it as much a "London" airport as LCY.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

shamrock604

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:09 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 91):
Although Middlesex doesn't exist as a county any more it can still be used as a postal address. I live a few miles from Staines, which a lot of people still refer to as "Staines, Middlesex" even though it's now officially in Surrey and has been since 1965 when Middlesex was officially disbanded. But yes, as has already been said, LHR is still predominantly in the London Borough of Hillingdon, making it as much a "London" airport as LCY.

Sorry, I didnt see your reply!  

Yes, I know Middlesex is used still to this day as a postal address.. I have family living in Staines and visit there quite often!  

c933103

Re: Farthest Airport From City Served?

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:31 pm

reviving the thread.... was reading http://uflyalliance.com/map and realized they lilsted the airport KUV under Seoul. KUV is Gunsan airport, somewhere 190km down south from Seoul. Till 2002 there were even flights from the airport to Seoul. Even CJJ which is shown as another city on the site would be half as close to Seoul.

Birdwatching

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:19 am

WDH Windhoek is 45km from the city center, and in contrast to most of the other example mentioned above, that airport really serves that city alone and nothing else because there is nothing around the airport. Kind of like KEF.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:59 pm

So far these are the furthest airports I could find:

1. Paris Vatry (135 km as the crow flies, 161 km by car to Paris)
2. Chicago Rockford (126 km as the crow flies, 137 km by car to Chicago)
3. Frankfurt-Hahn (103 km as the crow flies, 124 km by car to Frankfurt)
4. Munich Memmingen (102 km as the crow flies, 116 km by car to Munich)
5. Stockholm Skavsta (89 km as the crow flies, 106 km by car to Stockholm)
6. Barcelona Reus (89 km as the crow flies, 106 km by car to Barcelona)
7. New York Stewart (88 km as the crow flies, 117 km by car to New York)
8. Oslo Torp (86 km as the crow flies, 118 km by car to Oslo)
9. Stockholm Vasteras (86 km as the crow flies, 105 km by car to Stockholm)
10. Sao Paulo Campinas Viracopos (79 km as the crow flies, 95 km by car to Sao Paulo)
11. Boston Providence (77 km as the crow flies, 93 km by car to Boston)
12. New York Long Island MacArthur (77 km as the crow flies, 88 km by car to New York)
13. Barcelona Girona (75 km as the crow flies, 95 km by car to Barcelona)
14. Toronto Hamilton (70 km as the crow flies, 84 km by car to Toronto)
15. Paris Beauvais (69 km as the crow flies, 100 km by car to Paris)
16. Tokyo Narita (64 km as the crow flies, 77 km by car to Tokyo)
17. Vancouver Abbotsford (61 km as the crow flies, 68 km by car to Vancouver)
18. Düsseldorf Weeze (60 km as the crow flies, 86 km by car to Düsseldorf)
19. Oslo Rygge (60 km as the crow flies, 69 km by car to Oslo)
20. Los Angeles Ontario (60 km as the crow flies, 66 km by car to Los Angeles)
21. London Southend (58 km as the crow flies, 67 km by car to London)
22. Hamburg Lübeck (55 km as the crow flies, 80 km by car to Hamburg)
23. Seoul Incheon (49 km as the crow flies, 70 km by car to Seoul)
24. London Stansted (49 km as the crow flies, 63 km by car to London)
25. Melbourne Avalon (49 km as the crow flies, 53 km by car to Melbourne)
26. New York Westchester County (47 km as the crow flies, 60 km by car to New York)
27. Milan Bergamo (46 km as the crow flies, 62 km by car to Milan)
28. Glasgow Prestwick (46 km as the crow flies, 55 km by car to Glasgow)
29. London Luton (45 km as the crow flies, 56 km by car to London)
30. Luala Lumpur International (44 km as the crow flies, 74 km by car to Kuala Lumpur)
31. Brussels Charleroi (44 km as the crow flies, 66 km by car to Brussels)
32. Paramaribo Zanderij (44 km as the crow flies, 54 km by car to Paramaribo)
33. Baltimore-Washington (44 km as the crow flies, 52 km by car to Washington DC)
34. Amsterdam Lelystad (43 km as the crow flies, 58 km by car to Amsterdam)
35. Phoenix Mesa Gateway (42 km as the crow flies, 55 km by car to Phoenix)
36. Reykjavik Keflavik (42 km as the crow flies, 51 km by car to Reykjavik)
37. Moscow Domodedovo (42 km as the crow flies, 47 km by car to Moscow)
38. Windhoek International (42 km as the crow flies, 47 km by car to Windhoek)
39. London Gatwick (40 km as the crow flies, 48 km by car to London)
40. Milan Malpensa (40 km as the crow flies, 48 km by car to Milan)
41. Osaka Kansai (39 km as the crow flies, 53 km by car to Osaka)
42. Alanya Gasipasa (39 km as the crow flies, 41 km by car to Alanya)
43. Moscow Zhukovsky (38 km as the crow flies, 54 km by car to Moscow)
44. Dubai Al Maktoum (37 km as the crow flies, 50 km by car to Dubai)
45. Stockholm Arlanda (37 km as the crow flies, 45 km by car to Stockholm)
46. Washington Dulles (37 km as the crow flies, 44 km by car to Washington DC)
47. Oslo Gardermoen (36 km as the crow flies, 49 km by car to Oslo)
48. Warsaw Modlin (35 km as the crow flies, 42 km by car to Warsaw)
49. Taipei Taoyuan (34 km as the crow flies, 50 km by car to Taipei)
50. Johannesburg Lanseria (32 km as the crow flies, 55 km by car to Johannesburg)

LTU932

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:28 pm

The new proposed SJO in Orotina will be about 40 miles/64 km away from downtown San José, while the current airport near Río Segundo is about 11 miles/18 km from the city.

The once proposed new HAM near Kaltenkirchen would have been roughly 24 miles/38 km away from downtown Hamburg. On the other hand, LBC (Lübeck-Blankensee), the airport that was advertised as Hamburg by FR before actually moving to HAM (after LBC filed for bankruptcy a second time), is about 43 miles/69 km away from the city centre.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

albertocsc

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm

In my city we could have had the true winner of this list: CQM.
We tried to call our airport "Madrid Sur" = Madrid South.
But it is 222km south of Madrid by motorway (2h23min) or 200km by high-speed train (1h).
Ryanair was expecting to market it as "Madrid Sur" once the HST station had been built, but the airport went bankrupt and only a gangway to the rail lines was built. Anyways, before the collapse, we had some routes to Barcelona (VY, IB/YW), Paris (VY), Mallorca (AB, VY), Gran Canaria (IB/YW) and London Stansted (this one by FR), under the final title of "Ciudad Real Central Airport".
Anyways, before Ryanair arrived to Madrid, some people from the city were using Valladolid Airport (the same distance, but to the north) to fly Ryanair, so maybe it would not had been so crazy to use CQM in that way. Also Blue Air and Wizz Air could had had a good share of Romanians.

speedbored

Re: RE: Farthest Airport From City Served?

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:50 pm

RmvB4Flight wrote:
What about STN or LTN...they are both advertised as serving London, but if I remember correctly, they are pretty far out from London.

The worst of the self-styled "London" airports is LYX (Lydd) which styles itself as "London Ashford Airport". It is ~75 miles from London and 17 miles from Ashford.

PatrickZ80

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:52 pm

albertocsc wrote:
In my city we could have had the true winner of this list: CQM.
We tried to call our airport "Madrid Sur" = Madrid South.
But it is 222km south of Madrid by motorway (2h23min) or 200km by high-speed train (1h).
Ryanair was expecting to market it as "Madrid Sur" once the HST station had been built, but the airport went bankrupt and only a gangway to the rail lines was built. Anyways, before the collapse, we had some routes to Barcelona (VY, IB/YW), Paris (VY), Mallorca (AB, VY), Gran Canaria (IB/YW) and London Stansted (this one by FR), under the final title of "Ciudad Real Central Airport".
Anyways, before Ryanair arrived to Madrid, some people from the city were using Valladolid Airport (the same distance, but to the north) to fly Ryanair, so maybe it would not had been so crazy to use CQM in that way. Also Blue Air and Wizz Air could had had a good share of Romanians.

Just a little sidestep, but I've always wondered why Madrid doesn't have a true secondary airport. Ciudad Real was too far for it indeed, but except for Barajas there's nothing closer. Maybe they could open Torrejon for commercial traffic so Ryanair can fly out of there. No doubt Torrejon would be cheaper than Barajas.