AAlaxfan

Re: Farthest Airport From City Served?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 am

ORD is 90 miles from Milwaukee. We know everyone considers it the primary airport for Milwaukee travelers. :lol: :stirthepot:
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

PatrickZ80

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 am

But O'Hare airport is called Chicago O'Hare, not Milwaukee O'Hare. That's what this is all about. The airport names itself after the city of Chicago, not after the city of Milwaukee. Another airport, General Mitchell, calls itself after the city of Milwaukee. That should satisfy the people from Milwaukee, they still got an airport that calls itself after their city.

albertocsc

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Just a little sidestep, but I've always wondered why Madrid doesn't have a true secondary airport. Ciudad Real was too far for it indeed, but except for Barajas there's nothing closer. Maybe they could open Torrejon for commercial traffic so Ryanair can fly out of there. No doubt Torrejon would be cheaper than Barajas.

There are three more airports in the Madrid Area, but for several reasons, they won't probably handle commercial traffic anytime soon:
TOJ (Torrejón Air Base): It used to handle executive aviation when Barajas couldn't, but always as a temporary measure, and with civil and (busy) military operations conflicting often.
LECU (Cuatro Vientos Airport): Maybe so small for commercial operations. Too close to inhabited areas, and authorities want to relocate it as soon as possible. There is a parallel apron for military operations, under LEVS code.
LEGT (Getafe Air Base): Home to some Airbus factories. Could be feasible, but Getafe city council is totally opposed to the idea.

There used to be two more projects:
- El Álamo Airport and Toledo Airport: to relocate light and general aviation from Cuatro Vientos. The Madrid regional project (El Álamo) would had confilcted with the already existing Casarrubios Aerodrome. In response, the Castilla-La Mancha regional government proposed the upgrading of Casarrubios to a Toledo Airport. The two projects were ultimately frozen, but the El Álamo was revived for some time when Eurovegas was considered in Madrid.
- Campo Real Airport (not related to Ciudad Real CQM): it would had taken away cargo from Barajas, and the project also hinted that low-cost airlines could operate from there.

DesertAir

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 pm

I experienced the San Salvador international airport a long way, about a 45 minute drive, from the capital city.

n729pa

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Avalon airport is approx. 50 km from Melbourne

thekorean

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Washington Dulles is about 30 miles outside downtown DC I believe.

PatrickZ80

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 pm

thekorean wrote:
Washington Dulles is about 30 miles outside downtown DC I believe.

Actually 27 miles by car or 23 miles as the crow flies. Not that far compared to some others. In the list I made on the previous page Dulles is on the 46th place, that means there are 45 airports further from the served city than Dulles. Probably more because I can't guarantee my list to be complete. Washington Dulles is listed between Stockholm Arlanda and Oslo Gardermoen.

n729pa wrote:
Avalon airport is approx. 50 km from Melbourne

Quite right. 49 km as the crow flies, 53 km by car. That gives it 25th place between London Stansted and New York Westchester County.

masgniw

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
46th place, that means there are 45 airports further from the served city than Dulles.

:roll: :roll: