Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair
Topic Author

Upgrading On Air France

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:41 pm

On September 1st 2008 I will be flying GVA-CDG-EZE. i booked this flight on economy but would like to see if it is possible to upgrade CDG-EZE to business class. I have seen no info about that on AF's website.

1) Would it be possible to upgrade?

2)About how much would that upgrade cost?

3)How easy have you been able to upgrade on international flights

P.S I have flying blue Ivory and very close to getting silver

Regards BM

[Edited 2007-12-25 09:43:17]

Avianca

RE: Upgrading On Air France

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:43 pm

what fare do you have booked... I doubt you can get an upgrade with a heavely discounted Y fare

rootsair
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 1):
what fare do you have booked... I doubt you can get an upgrade with a heavely discounted Y fare

even if I pay for the upgrade ?

airplane   wave 

goldorak

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:59 pm

If you are thinking of free upgrade, it seems very unlikely as there will be other pax higher on the priority list than you (club 2000, platinum, gold). I'm not saying it's impossible but it's very unlikely. The other possibility is to use your miles to upgrade in the higher service cabin (J) but for that you need to have a full fare Y ticket and of course some seats available in J
If you are thinking about paying for an upgrade, it's not possible at AF to pay at the gate for an upgrade (like US airlines are doing).

rootsair
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 3):
If you are thinking about paying for an upgrade, it's not possible at AF to pay at the gate for an upgrade (like US airlines are doing).

The thing is I have to make a military medicine course in the Swiss army for 16 weeks and they will be paying me much more that what I expected. Thus I wanted to spend some of that extra money for a business class flight . Whilst you cannot pay at the gate , would it be possible to pay in advance ? I am ready to pay the extra money as long as it does not exceed 1500 Euros

airplane   wave 

Avianca

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 2):
even if I pay for the upgrade ?

well paying the complete difference between your booked fare and the cheapest business fare... (well would be buying like a normal ticket in C) or do you have in mind to spend several thousands CHF ???  Smile

wcs

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi Braulio,

Depending of your reservation class, you will be able to upgrade against your FB miles. But don’t except that too much: only full fare is eligible for that. There is a easy way to know: call Air France reservation desk, and they will let you know immediately.

You will not be able to buy an upgrade at the airport, except if you dare to change your ticket, providing that your fare allow it. Don’t except to have it cheap, anyhow.

Last but not least, it’s unlikely that you will receive any “free” upgrade, unless there is a big problem on Air France side. I’m Gold since several years, I do travel quite often on long haul and was never ever upgraded!

Enjoy your trip!
Raphaël

Viscount724

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting WCS (Reply 6):
Depending of your reservation class, you will be able to upgrade against your FB miles. But don’t except that too much: only full fare is eligible for that. There is a easy way to know: call Air France reservation desk, and they will let you know immediately.

You will not be able to buy an upgrade at the airport, except if you dare to change your ticket, providing that your fare allow it. Don’t except to have it cheap, anyhow.

Paid upgrades are normally only possible if you're travelling on the full unrestricted Y class fare, and you'd have to pay the difference between the Y and J fares which would be expensive on a longhaul like GVA-EZE. You wind up paying what you would have paid if you'd booked business class originally.

According to the FB site, a one way upgrade GVA-EZE using FB miles requires 50,000 miles and is also only possible if your original ticket is at the 3 highest booking classes (Y/B/K).

rootsair
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 5):
well paying the complete difference between your booked fare and the cheapest business fare... (well would be buying like a normal ticket in C) or do you have in mind to spend several thousands CHF ???

I'll have to see if its possible, if too expensive I might well forget it. I have 26K miles on my account but I want to keep them to get an upgrade on AF's A380 once they start flying to YUL

airplane   wave 

PHKLM

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
On September 1st 2008 I will be flying GVA-CDG-EZE

Nice. EZE is cool.

I'd just ask and try; go to an AF booking office and ask them whether it is possible to issue a different ticket for the outward leg, they might pull your original reservation and the fare due can then be used for paying the new ticket.
I re-booked a ticket with AF in EZE last summer, it was a discounted Y ticket and fare rules did not allow. But after a few calls and doing some computer tricks the ticket was re-issued (after I used the inbound coupon) and I only paid the fare difference. It saved me a lot of problems.

I flew EZE-CDG as Silver Elite and Y was fully booked, the Flight Manager saw me frowning and he understood I meant "geez, this is busy". Still, I was not upgraded to J. However, halfway the flight I was invited to the bar in Espace Affaires to have a drink of my choice, very nice.

zrs70

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:36 am

The cheapest one way C fare GVA-EZE on AF is $6374 (US). I would imagine the coach fare is much less than this.

CO has a one way fare in the same market for $2852 (US).