747400sp
Topic Author

Have You Seen A Fully Loaded 707 Take Off?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 pm

My father, who flew on a few Boeing 707 in the sixties, told me it was a true runway hog, like a fully loaded 747, just you fell the bump on the runway if you on a 707 during it's take off roll. If any body here seen a fully loaded 707 during it take off rolls, please destribe it to me? I do not care if it was powered by JT3C, JT4A, JT3D or CFM 56-2 ( For those in the military).

flymia

RE: Have You Seen A Fully Loaded 707 Take Off?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:52 pm

I dont know if they are fully loaded or not but I seen a few Arrow Air 707's takeoff from MIA. Its a great site. The Noise is awesome, the smoke from the engines are even better. Its does not lift off like a 757 or anything. Its nice and slow and seems a little bit sluggish compared to the other plane taking off, but its just awesome to see such an awesome bird take off.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:25 pm

707 take-offs at JNB used to be long and slooowwww - the last passenger 707's I saw there were Air Zim's poor knackered old things, belching smoke and sounding like a Saturn V falling down stairs. The only time they didn't smoke was when all the oil had leaked out of the engines while it was being turned around  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

AirCop

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
My father, who flew on a few Boeing 707 in the sixties, told me it was a true runway hog, like a fully loaded 747,

It was or is; the take off distance was similar to a 747. Flew on several fully loaded 707's and watched some fully loaded leave SFO and Travis AFB (bound for Vietnam) and slow to begin, loud, and they looked beautiful taking off. Heck the 707 looked fast, just standing still.

747fan

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:23 pm

The CFM56-2 powered KC-135's, and DC-8-70's for that matter, are quite sprightly takeoff and climb performers. Its like having a 5th engine, compared to the JT3D, JT4A, JT3C, and RR Conway. All the 707's and DC-8's powered by '60's vintage turbofans or '50's vintage turbojets were definitely sluggish when heavy and could even be sluggish when not very heavy on a hot day. I've heard stories of old turbojet 707's using 10-11,000 ft. of 25R at LAX back in the 1960's, not to mention they'd practically black out the runway when they'd use water injection. To get an idea of how loud the turbojet-powered 707's were, here's a video of a J57-powered (I believe the military version of the JT3C) KC-135 taking off:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7CmplKi0s
Turn the volume up for best effect! That crackling sound reminds me of an afterburning military jet or Concorde! Notice how sluggish the climb rate is.

CV990

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi!

I remember seeing some very loaded 707's in LIS, but the ones that I really loved were the turbojet ones, noisy like hell but a very unique sound indeed. I remember some cargo ones 300/400's screaming so bad that it was unbelievable!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

747fan

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting CV990 (Reply 5):
I remember some cargo ones 300/400's screaming so bad that it was unbelievable!

The old turbojet birds were very loud and as demonstrated by the video in post #5, have a unique crackling sound comparable to an afterburning military jet or the Concorde. The JT3D and Conway 707-300's and -400's (as well as converted -100's and 720's) were also very loud, with a thunderous exhaust noise that could also "crackle" sometimes. The JT3D's have (or used to, as some have been hushkitted) an unmistakeable, ear-splitting compressor/turbine screech on both takeoff and landing. I've seen DC-8-60's (Murray Air, ABX Air/Airborne Express, and Arrow) takeoff in person before at SDF during the holiday rush last year, and those things are quite loud - they set off numerous car alarms in the big UPS employee parking lot at the end of 17R. However, they didn't have that almost irritating compressor screech, as they were hushkitted. But they were still loud, and still had that distinctive fan whine (similar to that of a JT8D). In about another month or so, I should see more of them hopefully!  bigthumbsup 
Here's a video of a JT3D-powered 707 taking off. She's a real screamer!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpoS6h611cI
Wonderful airplane. Makes real noise and real smoke! Don't turn up the volume too loud, or you may blow your speakers/subwoofer out!  Smile

ERJ135

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:33 am

As a teenager I spent many Saturdays at Sydney Airport watching aircraft come and go. One departure has always stuck in my mind. The victims were on board a Cathay Pacific 707 bound for Hong Kong. On this particular day the departures were taking the long taxi drive out to Botany Bay and taking off towards the north which gives the best view from the international terminal as it was back then. This particular 707 must have been packed to the gills as it used so much of the runway that onlookers began to say things like, "oh god, it's not gunna make it" and "this is gunna be bad". The aircraft did indeed use just about every last inch of runway and slowly climbed into the air. as I watched it disappear I was surprised how little it had climbed compared to other departures that day. It had to have been more than fully loaded and the black exhaust plumes gave that away.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

jetmech

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):
I saw there were Air Zim's poor knackered old things, belching smoke and sounding like a Saturn V falling down stairs. The only time they didn't smoke was when all the oil had leaked out of the engines while it was being turned around

The JT3's are coal burning engines. The large clouds of black smoke are actually pulverised coal that has managed to escape from the conveyor belt inside the pylon that moves the coal down from the wings to the engines  Smile .

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

JGPH1A

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 8):
The large clouds of black smoke are actually pulverised coal that has managed to escape from the conveyor belt inside the pylon that moves the coal down from the wings to the engines

A conveyor belt ? I don't think Air Zim could afford that option. Their's had stokers.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

czbbflier

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 am

A friend of mine described the take-off roll of the old Empire Airlines B707 flight from YOW to DCA from back in the 1970s. Full- mostly with freight- on a hot, humid summer's evening:

They'd get pushed back to the end of runway 16 at the North Field (now closed)... Full throttles with brakes on... release brakes and start rolling. They'd turn onto Runway 14 and use the entire runway, rotate with maybe a thousand feet to spare and clear the perimeter fence.... thanks to the fact that the landing gear retracted! Total runway used: About 10,500 feet! Definitely not legal and you'd never see that at YOW now!

A bit of an exaggeration perhaps but I certainly got the idea!

isitsafenow

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:18 pm

The first batch 707's, what we called the waterburners, were the loud ones and drank up a lot of runway on hot summer days. The fans helped get them up quicker but a 6000 to 7000 foot takeoff run was not unusual for coast to coast or east coast to Europe or South America trips in July or August. Tthrust on the old 120's and 320's without fans were around 14000 lbs. The fans push thrust to 18000 lbs. Note the thrust of todays 737NG's and A320-319's.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

charlienorth

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:56 pm

In the 80's we would load and fuel ATA 707/100's at MSP for a flight to SNN,we would always head out on the back road on the west side of the airport to watch it take-off on (then) 11R,it was quite the show, I think that would stand on the brakes power the thing up for a bit and than go,lots of black smoke and I always wondered if the people on the freeway knew what was headed for them,it always appeared to lift off on "the numbers" at the other end.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

747fan

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 11):
The fans helped get them up quicker but a 6000 to 7000 foot takeoff run was not unusual for coast to coast or east coast to Europe or South America trips in July or August.

For an East Coast to Europe flight, a 6-7000 ft. takeoff run is probably a bit short for any plane in the 707/DC-8 series, probably even the DC8-70. Today's widebody twins typically have a takeoff run of about 6 or 7000ft., with quads such as the 747 and A340 using a little more, sometimes closer to 8000ft. when at a high payload during the summer. For a transcon, 7000ft. for a 707 sounds about right, but they probably went even longer than that when they had a heavy payload, especially the old "waterburners." By comparison, a 757 on a transcon typically uses closer to about 5000ft., maybe more like 5500.

jetstar

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:09 am

Many years ago I knew an air traffic controller who was an Air Force controller first. I told me of a long standing joke that when a fully loaded KC-135 took off on a hot day, they would tell the aircraft that when they were cleared for takeoff, if not airborne by the end of the runway, take off clearance is cancelled

ImperialEagle

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 4):
how loud the turbojet-powered 707's were

The loudest heavy jets I ever heard. Pounded the earth with roar! I used to enjoy them taking off from MacDill near TPA.

It used to be quite a contrast to observe the evening departures to Europe at JFK, and see the 707's hog the whole runway and slowly climbing out.
As compared to NW's 707's that used to fly through ATL with fairly light loads-----and they used little runway and climbed out like the Space Shuttle! I used to stand out on the old observation deck and marvel at them making everything at ATL look bad----except NW's own 720B's of course!  eyepopping 
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

FlyingN1

Re: Have You Seen A Fully Loaded 707 Take Off?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I've seen a NATO AWACS 707 take off at an airbase in the Netherlands and it used like the entire runway and was so loud, my ears were ringing for 5 minutes after the takeoff