sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 am

Does anyone know what the shortest domestic flights are? SFO-STS has to be up there, with the lowest flight time on FR24 showing 12 minutes. I'd be curious if anything out there is even shorter.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 9#2028c253
Last edited by sonicruiser on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights in the US

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:28 am

MVY-ACK on Cape Air at 29.6 miles
 
speedbird52
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:34 am

 
deltaSEAalsaka
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:34 am

Alaska flies Wrangell, Alaska to Petersburg, Alaska. When I flew it we were in the air for 9 minutes. It’s 31 miles.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:38 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Does anyone know what the shortest domestic flights are? SFO-STS has to be up there, with the lowest flight time on FR24 showing 12 minutes. I'd be curious if anything out there is even shorter.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 9#2028c253


I don't know about the effective flight times but by "great circle" (seems like a ridiculous term here) distance AA Eagle's Philadelphia-Allentown hop is a whole 11 miles shorter (SFO-STS is 66, PHL-ABE 55 miles)
Q400 E175 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI FR LA YW IB CM UA DL 9E AA AS
FRA STR HAM TXL ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO SJO PTY
 
Antarius
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 am

I have to assume SFO-STS is nearly 100% connecting traffic?
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 am

I looked at all OAG-loaded flights for 2019. Of the 13,000 domestic airport-pairs loaded, below are the ones under 10 miles.

FYI, the longest (nonstop) domestic routes all involve HNL: BOS, JFK, EWR, ATL, DTW, ORD. The longest otherwise is Aeroflot's Moscow-Petropavlovsk.

Market Miles Country Airlines Flights
KPB-PPV 2 US K3 293
PPW-WRY 2 GB LM 527
HHR-LAX 4 US AN 10
KEB-PGM 4 US 2E 365
KUK-NUP 4 US 7H, GV, K2 2,692
TOG-TWA 4 US GV 558
BET-PKA 5 US 7H, K2 1,647
BFQ-JQE 5 PA 7P 104
INB-PLJ 5 BZ 2M 2,256
YFA-ZKE 5 CA YN 731
AOS-KZB 6 US 2O 86
ATT-NUP 6 US 7H, K2 1,649
BDD-KUG 6 AU QN 820
KCG-KCL 6 US GV 226
AKI-KKI 7 US 7H, K2 1,702
BET-WNA 7 US 7H, K2 1,647
CGA-KLW 7 US I4, K3 3,360
KTS-TLA 7 US 8E 676
NDY-SOY 7 GB LM 527
OBU-SHG 7 US 7H, 8E 1,342
OOK-TNK 7 US 7H, GV, K2 2,646
PKA-WNA 7 US 7H, K2 1,647
TNC-WAA 7 US 8E 312
ATT-KUK 8 US GV 1,043
BZE-TZA 8 BZ 2M, 9N 13,866
CXH-YVR 8 CA JB 522
EIS-VIJ 8 VG 9K, V6 831
GDT-SLX 8 TC JY 269
KKI-KWT 8 US 7H, K2 1,702
LUP-MKK 8 US 9X, MW 1,973
PBJ-ULB 8 VU NF 105
PGM-SOV 8 US 2E 365
RDV-SLQ 8 US 7H 307
ALZ-KMY 9 US 2O 119
KEH-LKE 9 US M5 137
KWP-UGI 9 US 2O 86
NDY-NRL 9 GB LM 43
SMK-WBB 9 US 7H, 8E 2,779
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 am

simairlinenet wrote:
FYI, the longest (nonstop) domestic routes all involve HNL: BOS, JFK, EWR, ATL, DTW, ORD. The longest otherwise is Aeroflot's Moscow-Petropavlovsk.


As this was discuss in some other thread - the longest domestic flights in the world is ORY-RUN (Reunion is as much part of France as Hawaii is part of US).

For your list - KTD (Kitadaito) - MMD (Minamidaito) in Japan seems to be missing? That sector is bookable when I check on JAL's website (The route itself is 8mi, and is part of OKA-KTD-MMD-OKA (or OKA-MMD-KTD-OKA) triangle route).

Tons of random Alaska flights on your list, though.
 
AlexBrewster03
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 am

While not the shortest, ATL-CHA is incredibly short having personally flown it. In the air for what felt like 5 minutes
 
TripleA
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:15 am

ORD-MKE
IAH-CLL
DEN-COS

all of those come to mind
 
SEU
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:26 am

Westray to Papa Westray is litterally you take off, turn right and your back on the ground. Its like 30 seconds.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:30 am

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
While not the shortest, ATL-CHA is incredibly short having personally flown it. In the air for what felt like 5 minutes


It's not even the shortest commercial route out of ATL anyway - that honor goes to ATL-CSG (Columbus, GA).

TripleA wrote:
IAH-CLL


On a side note on this - it's funny how UA still fly IAH-CLL (74mi) but not the longer IAH-BPT (79mi).

Of course, while we're at IAH, too bad CO ended that IAH-EFD (Ellington Field) "shuttle" flight in 2004. It's a godsend for people on south side of Houston (Clear Lake area especially) not having to deal with crappy I-45 traffic.
 
KFTG
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:32 am

These are all historical but...
DEN-COS is relatively short at 73 miles, at one point UA flew DC-10s on the route.
UA used to flew OAK-SFO on the 747, and even sold seats on it (when they had the OAK maintenance base).
Another one that comes to mind is MCO-TPA, which DL Express (B732) and UA (B752) flew in the past.
 
chrisp390
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:43 am

YVR to YYJ is very short, under 30 minutes gate to gate in many cases.
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 am

SBN-ORD is a fun run of 84 miles, thanks to the time zone change you land before you ever took off, usually flight time of about 22/23 minutes.
 
Philippine747
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 am

Back in 2017, PR used to run a daily A320 (opb PALex) between Cebu and Tagbilaran, only 39 miles direct. It was used to ferry the aircraft for the short-lived Tagbilaran-Incheon route. However, it would sometimes run late as the weather at old Tagbilaran airport would go below the minimums, forcing holds.

From the Domestic Timetable (Sep 19, 2017):

PR2873 CEB-TAG 15:30-16:00 D
PR2874 TAG-CEB 06:55-07:20 D
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:16 am

Try a list without the island hoppers: those are more justifiable in their short lengths because you can't get there by road. Some, like the Poncé/PSE to San Juan/SJU are connected by road, but not very direct or quick. STS-SFO is a straight shot down Hwy 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge but in heavy traffic and on S.F. surface streets, so flying is much quicker....once in the air. But with SFO delays and misconx, driving may work out better in the long run.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 178 airports, 89 airlines, 71 a/c types, 397 routes, 56 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,101,154 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
Antarius
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:24 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Try a list without the island hoppers: those are more justifiable in their short lengths because you can't get there by road. Some, like the Poncé/PSE to San Juan/SJU are connected by road, but not very direct or quick. STS-SFO is a straight shot down Hwy 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge but in heavy traffic and on S.F. surface streets, so flying is much quicker....once in the air. But with SFO delays and misconx, driving may work out better in the long run.


SFO isnt that close. By the time you drive from SF south to SFO, deal with TSA and the fog and fly to STS, you may as well have just walked.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:28 am

The wife and I did the second shortest a while back, which is in Belize. Not sure it is done anymore but Maya Island Air used to fly from Caye Caulker to Caye Chapel. The flying time was right at two minutes for 2 miles.
 
SurlyBonds
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:24 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:44 am

simairlinenet wrote:
FYI, the longest (nonstop) domestic routes all involve HNL: BOS, JFK, EWR, ATL, DTW, ORD. The longest otherwise is Aeroflot's Moscow-Petropavlovsk.


Paris to Reunion? I would have thought that was longer (which the Great Circle Mapper confirms), and I thought AF flies it.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:15 am

Antarius wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
Try a list without the island hoppers: those are more justifiable in their short lengths because you can't get there by road. Some, like the Poncé/PSE to San Juan/SJU are connected by road, but not very direct or quick. STS-SFO is a straight shot down Hwy 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge but in heavy traffic and on S.F. surface streets, so flying is much quicker....once in the air. But with SFO delays and misconx, driving may work out better in the long run.


SFO isnt that close. By the time you drive from SF south to SFO, deal with TSA and the fog and fly to STS, you may as well have just walked.

Well, I was only thinking of connections from/to STS over SFO.. Zero local traffic on the flight. 40 years ago, I was checking in SMF-SFO flights (not much farther) and only once had a local passenger. But they were going onward after a day or two, eventually returning to SMF and their car.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 178 airports, 89 airlines, 71 a/c types, 397 routes, 56 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,101,154 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
heathrow
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:33 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:23 am

YVR - YCD is on average about 9 minutes. Flown several times a day by Jazz aviation
 
Antarius
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
Try a list without the island hoppers: those are more justifiable in their short lengths because you can't get there by road. Some, like the Poncé/PSE to San Juan/SJU are connected by road, but not very direct or quick. STS-SFO is a straight shot down Hwy 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge but in heavy traffic and on S.F. surface streets, so flying is much quicker....once in the air. But with SFO delays and misconx, driving may work out better in the long run.


SFO isnt that close. By the time you drive from SF south to SFO, deal with TSA and the fog and fly to STS, you may as well have just walked.

Well, I was only thinking of connections from/to STS over SFO.. Zero local traffic on the flight. 40 years ago, I was checking in SMF-SFO flights (not much farther) and only once had a local passenger. But they were going onward after a day or two, eventually returning to SMF and their car.


Gotcha. Yeah, I would expect it all thru passengers.

On the subject of short distance flights and local traffic, I once flew from IAH to HOU (via DFW). AA dumped me at IAH due to IRROPS while my car was at HOU and rather than deal with a rush hour taxi ride, I had them route me IAH-DFW-HOU.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am

One of the shortest domestic flights I have ever taken was PPT-MOZ, 5-7 minutes flight on an ATR 42.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vt261
 
26point2
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:36 am

SEU wrote:
Westray to Papa Westray is litterally you take off, turn right and your back on the ground. Its like 30 seconds.


Wrong. It’s an average flight of 80 seconds. If you would have watched the vid link from reply #2 before you posted you would have been better informed.
 
DAL763ER
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:49 am

I recently flew PHL-JFK, a short 94 mile hop. Took off the 22s, made a left downwind and the NY skyline was visible in the distance.

The plane itself had come in from ABE (Allentown), which is only 55 miles from PHL.
 
pdp
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:50 am

For me it's WAW-LUZ. If the runways work out it's 20-25 minutes of being deafened in a Q400.

It's a grand total of about 70 miles, but due to a lack of contiguous motorway or railway at present the fastest terrestrial public transport is about 3 hours.
 
KFTG
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:25 am

Another historical, TWA flew ORD-RFD shortly after deregulation (~1981) on the 727-100. 63 miles.
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am

26point2 wrote:
SEU wrote:
Westray to Papa Westray is litterally you take off, turn right and your back on the ground. Its like 30 seconds.


Wrong. It’s an average flight of 80 seconds. If you would have watched the vid link from reply #2 before you posted you would have been better informed.


I think the record stands at 57 seconds?? It's a fun flight to take. I've logged a few jet flights at 12 minutes, DAT MD87 and Avior 732, but i think my shortest non-island hopper flight was 3 minutes in a DHC-7
 
AirbusA322
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:38 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:14 am

Quick one on Virgin yesterday!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VOZ9907
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10479
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:15 am

Westray to Papa Westray is not actually the world's shortest scheduled flight, at least by distance, and often by flying time too.

Kirkja to Hattarvik on the island of Fugloy (I know, it sounds like a Brummie describing something that's ugly) in the Faroe Islands is 2.38km, a fair few hundred meters shorter than the 2.82km of Westray to Papa Westray.

Flights operate three times a week by Atlantic Airways on the AW139, with a scheduled block time of 3 minutes. However, the service runs like a bus, so that includes pick up and set down time. Actual flight time depends on the wind velocity, direction and how many sheep there are on the helipad - can be under a minute, or sometimes nearer two.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
Thibault973
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
simairlinenet wrote:
FYI, the longest (nonstop) domestic routes all involve HNL: BOS, JFK, EWR, ATL, DTW, ORD. The longest otherwise is Aeroflot's Moscow-Petropavlovsk.


Paris to Reunion? I would have thought that was longer (which the Great Circle Mapper confirms), and I thought AF flies it.


Not only AF, there are 5 competitors on the route, Air France, Air Austral, Corsair, XL airways and FrenchBee offering up to 8 daily flights. It's a pretty busy route really, with around 1,5 millions passengers last year.
 
UALFAson
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Also in the "dearly departed" column are former UAX service ONT-LAX and SNA-LAX, both flown by EMB-120s.

ONT-LAX blocks at 47 miles; it felt like we were in a helicopter skimming over Los Angeles, we were so low. We did it in 9 mins...and that extra segment versus flying DEN-LAX nonstop renewed my Premier status!

SNA-LAX is actually shorter at 36 miles, but we had to fly around storms, so it took 12 minutes. Similar to the IAH-EFD example, I lived in L.A. and was attending a job fair at a SNA airport hotel, and decided it was easier, faster, and cheaper to use employee passes to fly between the two and catch the hotel shuttle rather than to drive, sit in traffic, use gas, and pay to park.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."
 
dtremit
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:08 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:59 am

Another past route no longer served -- DTW-FNT on NW. 56 miles, and regularly saw service on A320s for many years.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:11 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

On a side note on this - it's funny how UA still fly IAH-CLL (74mi) but not the longer IAH-BPT (79mi).

Of course, while we're at IAH, too bad CO ended that IAH-EFD (Ellington Field) "shuttle" flight in 2004. It's a godsend for people on south side of Houston (Clear Lake area especially) not having to deal with crappy I-45 traffic.

I'm sure A&M ($$$) is a big driver of that.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:07 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I'm sure A&M ($$$) is a big driver of that.


Maybe...and to be fair, a straight shot down I-10 from Beaumont is an easier drive than Highway 6 (although that road had been improved a LOT) to 290, just to look at an infinite amount of orange cones for the infinite amount of time :spin:

On the other hand, I know zero people that went to TAMU from Houston that flew on that flight, so there's that...
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2141
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:31 pm

[
.

On the subject of short distance flights and local traffic, I once flew from IAH to HOU (via DFW). AA dumped me at IAH due to IRROPS while my car was at HOU and rather than deal with a rush hour taxi ride, I had them route me IAH-DFW-HOU.[/quote]

Only an Airliner.nut would do something like this...LOL
 
77H
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Tue May 07, 2019 9:18 am

If we look at part121 carriers (US) only, it’s hard to beat HA’s OGG-JHM (16 mi straight line). This was operated by the AT4 as recently as last year. I believe it operated as a means to reposition the aircraft but was bookable on their website.

77H
 
johns624
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Shortest domestic flights

Tue May 07, 2019 10:50 am

Back in the early 70's, I flew PIT-TOL-DTW. Toledo-Detroit is only about 50 miles.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pellegrine and 19 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos